Home

Upgrading Abilities!?!?!?... help!

This is a discussion on Upgrading Abilities!?!?!?... help! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Rookie

thrust's Arena

OVR: 3
Upgrading Abilities!?!?!?... help!

While in CCM, there are a few upgradable stats and abilities that I don't understand fully or comprehend how they work.
There is an ability called Player Predictability. I can see how this can help a WR and a QB in the game but how does this help a LB?
There is also the Play Ball in Air trait. When u upgrade it it seems to go from AGRESSIVE to BALANCED to CONSERVATIVE. Is this saying that playing the ball conservative is better as far as this game is concerned? I bought this trait for Aquib Talib and he went from aggressive to balanced. Will this take away his aggressive nature as far as going for picks? I'm not sure if I want to change that if such is so.
Also, I'm curious to know if spin, juke, elusiveness, and running trajectory(not the real name) matter if I'm always controlling the back?

If you can help me understand these things a little better please chime in and thank you!
Tweeted from Tampa Habitual Rehab Clinic
THRC
a home for the lonely
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Upgrading Abilities!?!?!?... help!

I'm not really sure about those specific tendencies, but the Juke/Spin I believe are how good/effective they may be. I'm assuming that a player with a higher juke attribute will cut better/faster/stronger or something along those lines. Elusiveness I believe is just being able to avoid tacklers in some sense. Like running through a hole and bouncing off defenders, but not totally breaking a tackle.

I could be wrong though, they could be totally useless stats. EA doesn't really give us much insight.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Rookie

thrust's Arena

Thanks, anyone else have any insight?
THRC
a home for the lonely
Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie

thrust's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust
While in CCM, there are a few upgradable stats and abilities that I don't understand fully or comprehend how they work.
There is an ability called Player Predictability. I can see how this can help a WR and a QB in the game but how does this help a LB?
There is also the Play Ball in Air trait. When u upgrade it it seems to go from AGRESSIVE to BALANCED to CONSERVATIVE. Is this saying that playing the ball conservative is better as far as this game is concerned? I bought this trait for Aquib Talib and he went from aggressive to balanced. Will this take away his aggressive nature as far as going for picks? I'm not sure if I want to change that if such is so.
Also, I'm curious to know if spin, juke, elusiveness, and running trajectory(not the real name) matter if I'm always controlling the back?

If you can help me understand these things a little better please chime in and thank you!
It's not running trajectory, it is Ball Carrier Vision. Sorry!
THRC
a home for the lonely
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've never bought predictability or tight spiral, feet in bounds, fight for yards, etc. The only 10k trait I buy is consistency, force throw, big hitter, play ball. Consistency is by far the most important. There is a reason that the 90+ overalls will have a consistency score of two or three. I upgrade based on obvious position needs.

RB's I go with awareness, bc vision, and carrying
Receivers-CIT, catching, awareness, rte running, release
Oline-run block, awareness, pass block, impact block
D-line-block shed, awareness, tackle, play recognition, pursuit
LB's-upgrade everything
CB's-awareness, man cov, zone cov, pursuit, play recognition
S-upgrade everything
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Feet in bounds is nice on outside receivers, it makes a noticable difference on sideline catches, of course it depends on your personal play style whether you throw a lot of those routes. Fight for yards has a very noticable effect to, RBs with it often manage to fall forwards, drag a tackler along and so on for another yard, huge on 3rd down, I try to get it for all my RBs and sometimes even TEs too.

Ball Carrier Vision seems to determine how well other people block for you, but I'm not quite sure on that one. Awareness seems important to defensive players (seems to determine how "aware" a player is of the position of the ball), much less so for offense save for QBs (QBs with high AWR tend to throw a lot less picks in my experience)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimate
RB's I go with awareness, bc vision, and carrying
If you are user controlling your RB's, the Awareness and BC Vision are worthless, don't upgrade them.

I saved this a while ago, it will help some. Some of the attributes are no longer in affect (like Pass Block Strength/Footwork, or Old Spice Swagger, etc)

(OVR) Overall - The overall rating of a player depending on key attributes for his position
(SPD) Speed - The top speed a player can run
(ACC) Acceleration - How fast a player reaches top speed
(STR) Strength - The player's strength,
(AGI) Agility - How fast a player can switch directions and how much space it takes to do so
(AWR) Awareness - A player's ability to react and adjust
(CTH) Catching - How well the player can catch
(CAR) Carrying - How well the player holds onto the football. A higher rating means the less chance of a fumble.
(THP) Throw Power - How far a player can throw the ball and how fast a thrown ball gets to its target
(THA) Throw Accuracy - How accurate a player throws, replaced by new attributes of short, medium and deep
THA (Short) - How accurate a player throws short passes
THA (Mid) How accurate a player throws medium passes
THA (Deep) - How accurate a player throws deep passes
(PAC) Play Action - Determines the play action effectiveness for the QB position
(RUN) Throw on the run - Accuracy when throwing on the run, rolling out or when feet are not set
(KPW) Kick Power - A kicker's power
(KAC) Kick Accuracy - A kicker's accuracy
(RBK) Run Block - How well a player run blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(PBK) Pass Block - How well a player pass blocks, used mainly in simulated games only
(TAK) Tackle - A player's ability to tackle.
(JMP) Jumping - The player's ability to jump and how high
(RET) Return - Skill of the player as a punt or kick returner
(INJ) Injury - The likelihood of an injury
(STA) Stamina - The player's stamina level and how soon he will tire
(TGH) Toughness - A players ability to recover from injuries and the severity of injuries
(TRK) Trucking - Player's ability to run over a defender attempting a tackle
(ELU) Elusiveness - Likely the ability to escape tackles (or perhaps sacks)
(BCV) Ball Carrier Vision - Ability to spot the open field
(SFA) Stiff Arm - Players ability to stiff arm
(SPM) Spin Move - Players ability to spin
(JKM) Juke Move - Players ability with the juke move
(IBK) Impact Blocking - Blockers ability to make a leveling block in the open field
(RBK-STR) Run block strength - how well a player can succeed in locking up a defender while run blocking
(RBK-FT) Run block footwork - how well a player can succeed in pushing a defender while run blocking. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap.
(PBK-STR) Pass block strength - how well a player performs when the defender is performing power moves against him
(PBK-FT) Pass block footwork - how well a player performs when the defender is performing finesse moves against him. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap
(POW) Hit Power - The strength of the players hit, which can determine the success of a tackle or the possibility of a fumble, and ability to wear out or injure a player being hit
(PMV) Power Moves - The ability to bull rush, chuck and/or overpower a block
(FIN) Finesse Moves - The ability to perform swim moves and spins moves against a block
(BKS) Block Shedding - How well the player can shed a block.
(PUR) Pursuit - Skill in finding and pursuing the ball carrier and ability to take a direct line of pursuit on a quarterback or ball carrier
(PRC) Play Recognition - The ability to recognize plays
(MAN) Man Coverage - Man coverage skills
(ZONE) Zone Coverage - Zone coverage skills
(SPCTH) Spectacular Catch - Abilty to make spectacular catches such as one handed catches
(CIT) Catch in Traffic - Ability to catch when in coverage or surrounded by defenders
(RTE) Route Running Rating - ability to execute routes and cuts and the speed to execute routes and cuts
(PRESS) Press Rating - ability to maintain a press coverage around the line of scrimmage
(RELEASE) Release Rating - Ability to get around or beat press coverage
(SWG) Old Spice Swagger - The chance that a player will celebrate in the endzone

Looking for some leagues to take our on MSL Competition Team in a mini tournament! Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr8Train
If you are user controlling your RB's, the Awareness and BC Vision are worthless, don't upgrade them.
I agree an Awareness, I don't think it makes a noticeable difference on HBs, but are you sure on BCV? I got the impression that, for example, my lead blocker isn't that quick to engage someone in my path, or will more often engage the wrong defender when I'm running with an RB with low BCV. I could be wrong, though, it's tough to get a good read on stuff like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »