Home

A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond)

This is a discussion on A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: A Plea to Madden Developers for Next Gen (And Beyond)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I just wanted to post this somewhere to get it off my chest. So I am watching the Vikings v Packers game on NBC tonight and the commentators begin breaking down running data on Adrian Peterson. They have a graphic on screen while discussing his yardage for running inside, outside, etc. Now aside from the wishlist item of wanting overlays like that to accompany in-game commentary in Madden, I just started shaking my head at how much data there is available for Madden to accurately differentiate team and player AI, it's shameful that EA Tiburon doesn't use it.

Look, I realize I have been on bash EA TIburon's effort about Madden lately after scarcely posting for awhile but M13, as the 8th edition of next-gen Madden, is abysmal. I don't just mean M13 alone but the entire next-gen Madden body of work. That other football game had a VIP thingy that remembered playcalling/tendencies and even NBA Live had some kind of NBA DNA but Madden with exclusive access to all the available NFL data can't even get the AI players and teams to play like their real life counter parts.

Maybe I am doing a poor job of articulating why I am so disgusted but please understand the VIP was out in 2004! This whole NFL gaming gen has been one long Energizer commercial hoping 8 years for that pink bunny to parade out for the punchline. smh

You are not being misunderstood. Many people here and in general feel exactly the same way. This game, in every way, has stayed largely the same over the years. Know why? They dont have to change it, they count our money every year.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #34
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmie
Sorry to disagree Giles, but i've been playing this game far too long to believe this was a new game at the start of this gen. Graphics have gotten better, animations added, but the gameplay is largely the same as it ever was and anything they "improve" have been minor tweaks and tuning to a severely dated game engine.
If this were the same game from last gen, how do you explain people LOVING this game last gen and hating it this gen?? There are no cop outs here pal -- I have no reason to defend or bash Madden.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
If this were the same game from last gen, how do you explain people LOVING this game last gen and hating it this gen?? There are no cop outs here pal -- I have no reason to defend or bash Madden.
Not gonna choose sides, but clearly if this game was sold in 2005, it'd receive a much different response than now 7 years later. In 7 years time, it makes sense for if a game is almost the same to be hated, because that's 7 years of stagnation and $420 out of my pocket to boot! Not saying it is, but your reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #36
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Not gonna choose sides, but clearly if this game was sold in 2005, it'd receive a much different response than now 7 years later. In 7 years time, it makes sense for if a game is almost the same to be hated, because that's 7 years of stagnation and $420 out of my pocket to boot! Not saying it is, but your reasoning doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
I agree. The way other sports sims have advanced this console gen clearly makes stagnant Madden standout. Even though I preferred the other football game in 2004, at least Madden 2005 seemed current. M13 and frankly Madden this whole gen, has been an incomplete outdated mess, in comparison other sports sims.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #37
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I was under the impression that this gen was a complete rebuild from the ps2/xbox gen.

If its not, then how do you explain the skating/zig-zag running/sliding/morphing that wasn't in last gen. Those players were much more grounded and momentum was properly taken into account.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #38
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I was under the impression that this gen was a complete rebuild from the ps2/xbox gen.

If its not, then how do you explain the skating/zig-zag running/sliding/morphing that wasn't in last gen. Those players were much more grounded and momentum was properly taken into account.
I am of the impression that the things you named are intentional. Reason being, in M10 I think, Ian made a point to try to address zig zagging but then in M11 it regressed instead of being refined. The point being, zig zagging was decided to be "fun", along with deep drop backs, stick skills, etc.

Also I recall "ice skating" in past Maddens and that was one of the main reasons I switched to other football games. On Youtube and OS I have seen videos demonstrating much better player movement in some last gen Maddens, still current Madden does contain many legacy issues. I asked on The Czar's radio show a while back, that if Madden was indeed created brand new from the ground up, then why does it still have so many legacy issues.

I think back to what AJ said on Twitter about how we are lied to so much about Madden, there is almost no way to no what's true. That said it's clear whether completely rebuilt or not, next gen Madden didn't turn out well.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36

Like a poster above said, people loved the game a decade ago, and those same people are now ten years older and havent seen the growth in the game. The gameplay, and AI, and same legacy issues are still the same. They tune, tweak, add and remove features, but the nuts and bolts are still the same. What does this game do, outside of looking better, that Madden 2005 didnt do? Not cosmetic, but gameplay wise.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #40
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

I rest my case -- that's precisely my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmie
Like a poster above said, people loved the game a decade ago, and those same people are now ten years older and havent seen the growth in the game. The gameplay, and AI, and same legacy issues are still the same. They tune, tweak, add and remove features, but the nuts and bolts are still the same. What does this game do, outside of looking better, that Madden 2005 didnt do? Not cosmetic, but gameplay wise.
Catching is more dynamic now.

Run and pass blocking are both better this gen. Even as bad as pass blocking is on these systems, line interaction is better now than the jarrgled mess it was last gen.

You're getting away from my point though: it's not to compare M13 to 05, but rather M06 to 05. THAT game was a shell of itself when it came to this gen. I don't think an argument has to be made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »