Home

Pro-tak vs Infinity Engine

This is a discussion on Pro-tak vs Infinity Engine within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Pro-tak vs Infinity Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi XIII
You can play All-Madden settings and just adjusted the tackles/bt sliders. I don't see how that kills the game for you. All-Madden default doesn't even help much with high scores anyway so I don't get that complaint.

But one thing, as far as we know, IE is not implemented on the line play. I've never seen unique blocking or fall from a block animation really, all canned. If IE is there it's very limited. I don't have a lot of faith in Madden as far as progression but IE is one thing I think they will actually improve on year after year. I'm expecting weight to be more accurately accounted for and it impacting more aspects of the game like o-line play in the future.
I think this is a HALF Truth. It's implemented well enough to stop realistic blitzes. That's why they have guys tripping all over the place on blitzes when the lane is right there and all they need to do is run. But nope, they run in such a fashion that they trip themselves. I don't expect weight to be any factor at all in 14. Maybe 15 but it'll probably be a long shot then too. They have too much MESS to address.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
And what's up with all the damn tripping. I understand there are some scenarios where people might trip, but this mess is absurd. I actually had a blitz that I liked and I ran it 10 times. First time the ILB ran through untouched. Second time, they make him trip over the ankle of the DE. Third time, he trips over the ankle of the OG. Fourth time he trips over the blocks. This junk is dumb. So now because they had terrible code in the past that led to nano blitzes, now they go to the extreme to stop any blitzing. mehhh
It's not even the excessive stumbling/tripping for me so much as the lack of any other implementation around it as a compliment. Meaning, if they are going to have the stumbles, trips and various mishaps that occur from contact, it's just odd to overlook the transitional animations for putting their hands down to brace for a fall, reaching for players as the fall, etc. This seeming lack of attention to detail makes so many things in Madden seem incomplete and consequently the entire game.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
It's not even the excessive stumbling/tripping for me so much as the lack of any other implementation around it as a compliment. Meaning, if they are going to have the stumbles, trips and various mishaps that occur from contact, it's just odd to overlook the transitional animations for putting their hands down to brace for a fall, reaching for players as the fall, etc. This seeming lack of attention to detail makes so many things in Madden seem incomplete and consequently the entire game.
And to me the fact there there is no other implementation around it tells me they have it in there on purpose to stop people from doing something they could previously do. That's the monster we are working with. I mean I wouldn't call it a lack of attention because that whole thing where the HB pushes the linemen and the linemen pushes the HB for more yards, that was a part of Pro-Tak in Madden 10. It was never as good as 2k's but it was in there. So it cannot be a lack of attention. To me it's stuff done on PURPOSE to stop something that someone complained about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 0

IE needs these areas addressed in order to way more manageable than it is now...

Foot planting, momentum, weight/physics/shifting of body mass

user controlled and non user controlled players who run directly into another player of their own team like our HBs do, should result in the same animations and fallout, its only right considering how these guys on defense would bounce off at full sprint from the first step they take.

Players do not reach their peak jumps while jumping off their "off foot", in madden it doesnt even matter which foot they lead they jumps with or what angle or direction their body is positioned when they make plays. They just make them regardless of all that.

Once again, this would bring a lot to the table in regards to keeping the gameplay honest and scores in ranges that are very well acceptable instead of these 50+ point shootouts I keep seeing.

bring true user skill to the table with difficulty settings, thats all I feel I would be content with in regards to IE. Other than that, its mostly AI issues and in the trenches im hoping gets its time to shine!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Do I prefer Pro-tak or Infinity Engine? Another way to ask this would be, do I prefer a barium enema or a root canal?

IE has some advantages I suppose, but adding the ridiculous body contortions and hilarious WWE tackles to a game that already had an overly arcady feel thanks to terrible zig zag running and ol/dl interaction where engaged players hardly move and ignore weight/momentum resulted in a Madden that was worse than last year's to me. I tried to start 2 ccms and never got past week 3. Once was a redbox rental right after release and the other was a black friday purchase after some patches dropped. The only enjoyable part of this years game for was that I bought it for $25 bucks and Gamestop bought it off me for $30 so I at least got paid to try it.

It doesn't matter which tackle engine thay use, they need to drop the arcade/sim hybred crap and focus on making the players react like real NFL athletes would if this game is ever going to be any good again imo.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Do I prefer Pro-tak or Infinity Engine? Another way to ask this would be, do I prefer a barium enema or a root canal?

IE has some advantages I suppose, but adding the ridiculous body contortions and hilarious WWE tackles to a game that already had an overly arcady feel thanks to terrible zig zag running and ol/dl interaction where engaged players hardly move and ignore weight/momentum resulted in a Madden that was worse than last year's to me. I tried to start 2 ccms and never got past week 3. Once was a redbox rental right after release and the other was a black friday purchase after some patches dropped. The only enjoyable part of this years game for was that I bought it for $25 bucks and Gamestop bought it off me for $30 so I at least got paid to try it.

It doesn't matter which tackle engine thay use, they need to drop the arcade/sim hybred crap and focus on making the players react like real NFL athletes would if this game is ever going to be any good again imo.
With the guy coming from one of (if not) the best Baseball Sim game on consoles leading the way, you would think a major turn around would be in store for the next version of madden 7 months from now!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #39
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
With the guy coming from one of (if not) the best Baseball Sim game on consoles leading the way, you would think a major turn around would be in store for the next version of madden 7 months from now!
Yeah, you would think that but who knows given the last 8 years, lol. I am so thirsty for a solid football sim to play I just don't know what to do. EA Tiburon doesn't understand or care that NFL gaming has always been my vice and a pleasurable one, up until this horrible NFL exclusive license. IE, like Protak before it, has all this alleged potential to make Madden a solid football game but there is no reason to believe that potential will be achieved this console gen. I have heard some speculate that Kolbe from The Show is working on Madden for the new consoles, which would be good for maybe M15 but means IE in M14 would likely be more of the same.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #40
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
I'm not holding my breath. I've seen great simulation in Baseball, Basketball and soccer, but I don't believe that EA wants Madden to be a true sim or they would've succeeded by now. Their goal is to keep enough arcade aspects to make it "fun". Half the community day invitees are tournament types that really enjoy it like this. Madden 13 was a "Hiroshima level bomb" dropped on the franchise. Madden was on pace to be GOTY to those guys and EA doesn't want to lose it most faithful fanbase.

I just follow Madden in the hope EA doesn't resign an exclusive license after this year and that they are rolling out a brand new version of the game for the new consoles, it's the only optimism I have for video game football right now. Football on these systems is officially dead for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »