Home

The only reason why Madden is still winning the war

This is a discussion on The only reason why Madden is still winning the war within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:20 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The only reason why Madden is still winning the war

Quote:

albsur2003 said:
Don't get me wrong, I love Madden and I will probably purchase it this year, but I think that the only reason (at least for me) why Madden is still on top is because of NCAA Football's greatness. I'll be honest, I enjoy ESPN Football a little more than Madden, on-field, during the season, and off-season. The only reason why I keep buying Madden is because I can draft the players from NCAA (which to me is a 9.5/10) into Madden and watch them progress. Does anyone identify with me on this one?

I totally agree with this. When NFL2K came out for the Dreamcast, I immediately liked the game and played it instead of Madden (which was dying on the PSX at the time). I loved NFL2K and NFL2K1, and played multiple seasons in both games. But - as soon as EA announced that they were making NCAA 2002 for the PS2 - I went out and bought a PS2 and started playing Madden. Now - I play my Madden franchise and my NCAA dynasty concurrently - which adds so much to the replayability of the game. I hope they keep going with the integration between the two games - this is a great feature that gives the series an edge over every other football game.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:30 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Theres a big flaw in this theory and that is that Sega at one time also made an NCAA game and they still got beat and beat badly. Maybe the big secret in why Madden is still winning the war is simply because it's a better game despite alot of the advances the competition has put forward.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:

Clay_OS said:
Quote:

jordan0386 said:
since your new let me say

there is no bashing here...what you just typed...has been beaten to death on both boards...so...your...not really...bringing anything new to the table

enjoy OS

Stop trying to be a Mod. We have plenty.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:

Maybe the big secret in why Madden is still winning the war is simply because it's a better game despite alot of the advances the competition has put forward.

UMmm could be, although I feel the on the field stuff is as good on ESPN if not better. Madden still has some of the off the field and the bells and whistles down. Also the causal gamer still knows Madden and knows Madden as being the best football game out there, so that for one reason is why I think its still on top. If a new sports channel comes on and is better then ESPN to harcore sports fans, still ESPN is going to win because they have been around longer, have a bigger fan base and when you ask someone abotu sports channels ESPN is the first name that comes up. Even my grandmother knows abotu ESPN and she doesnt watch sports. I really didnt explain myself well and my mind isnt working right, but I think you get the point =/
Old 05-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I like to think of it this way.

the ESPN/2K series is quickly closing the gap on Madden. I'm a very impartial observer and I will admit that 2K5 looks AMAZING. A lot of the features announced for the game have direct co-relation to the franchise as well as gameplay which has been something that i've been lamenting the longest time. Now it looks like 2K5 has a VERY deep franchise to go along with the excellent gameplay.

Madden is still king at the moment tho, why? Simple as others have said MADDEN is mainstream. Everyone knows about MADDEN football. Also for the casual gamer or even for the diehard gamer most have grown up playing the MADDEN series and would never think of picking up the competition.

Like I said tho 2K5 has closed the gap considerably and if Sega/VC can continue making improvements then they'll get noticed in the mainstream world. One problem to me is that it seems they overhaul the game in one form or another a little too much whereas MADDEN tweaks areas that need to be fixed.

The only way MADDEN is gonna be caught in terms of popularity is if there is an off year where the game is just bad. I (as well as others) already think that the 2k series beats MADDEN in several key components but it's not widely known/accepted yet by the public at large.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

SportsmanTO said:
I like to think of it this way.

...I (as well as others) already think that the 2k series beats MADDEN in several key components but it's not widely known/accepted yet by the public at large.

That's the way I feel. And to me, though it ABSOLUTELY makes NO DIFFERENCE what game the masses in general buy, it does bother me that some people seem to BLINDLY buy Madden without even giving ESPN or other games a consideration.

Close-mindedness in general bothers me.

That being said, some people need to realize that other people have GIVEN ESPN a chance and JUST DON'T LIKE IT AS MUCH AS MADDEN. Not that it "doesn't play like Madden," but that they just don't like the experience overall. Even though I disagree, I can't fault them for that, because that's just the way the feel.

Each game has things that it gets right that the other doesn't. So in the end it's purely subjective. Which things can you overlook and which things bother you to no end.

To illustrate, some people don't like eating raspberries because of their little seeds. Others who enjoy the fruit aren't bothered by the seeds.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I am one of those guys who buys both games. Madden's Owners mode and off the field stuff has blown away ESPN in the past. And it's backed up by a solid on field game, plus you add in the NCAA import and it's a pretty solid package.

From an X's and O's, strategy, scheme and playbook stanpoint ESPN is far superior. Making what I think is a more enjoyable, and strategic head to head game.

For the last several years, I have enjoyed Madden immensely for solo/franchise play, and ESPN for online play. Probably what I will do again this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 13

its funny when people start there threads by saying dont get me wrong i love "the game they about to bash"
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »