Home

IGN review at this link

This is a discussion on IGN review at this link within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #33
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: IGN review at this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB215
True...cant predict the future. But my money is on EA and Madden. I dont think Sega will be in business too much longer...............which will be bad for everybody. Look what competition has apparantly done for Madden this year according to IGN.........

Sega will be fine..this is their best installment of the 2k series...And really you shouldn't be jumoing to conclusions saying sega will be out of business in a few years...

They do alot of thing better than Madden...They just need to spend more time on their games and not worry about Madden.

Presentation,Graphics and controls are gonna be the reason why i'll still keep this game even if Madden is better...

I'd say they are about 4-5 changes away from being better than madden
Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #34
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

I actually hope this review is true. I am totally content with ESPN, but if Madden is better, great for me. I get another great game.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:15 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 17

I think in their review they should've stuck to the game they were reviewing and not taken stabs at espn. Sure steve-o is an idiot but they didn't have to comment on espn. Only if the same person had reviewed it would that have been semi-acceptable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

I really hope player morale works the way the article hypes it. I also hope it leads to "intelligent" GM AI decisions (no more benching star players for a not-so-hot rookie). Too many times have I been excited about a new Madden feature, only to be disappointed by a shallow implementation. A hundred features/toggles don't make it deep.

But I get this game every year, so this year it shouldn't be any different. Being able to change player positions is sweet. Imagine drafting a corner late in the draft and then moving him to saftey....

Madden is gonna have to dump, well, Madden in order to meet ESPN's level of commentary. And Madden has ways to go in the graphics/presentation department. But, man, if I love this franchise mode, then ESPN Football is gonna collect a lot of dust!!! I like the idea of players having AI personalities. It will be even better if the AI controlled teams are really affected by this feature.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny
I think in their review they should've stuck to the game they were reviewing and not taken stabs at espn. Sure steve-o is an idiot but they didn't have to comment on espn. Only if the same person had reviewed it would that have been semi-acceptable.
Yeah, I mean they are both incredibly great games. And I think both have great gameplay, just different styles of gameplay. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Nothing touches the graphics, sound, commentary presentation and (to me... as in IMO) the gameplay of NFL2Kx. But man, the new franchise features in Madden might make it worth a $50 expenditure. Now if I can just convince my wife...
Old 08-05-2004, 11:57 PM   #38
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny
It's amazing what two different people can extract out of the same article. I thought they praised ESPN with the reviewers multiple comments on its graphics, presentation, and Sportscenter feature more than taking stabs at it with the one Steve-O comment (which many people on the ESPN board seem to agree with).
Old 08-06-2004, 12:09 AM   #39
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB215
Damn what a review. I had a feeling with all the Sega hype and price drop and early release and all the talk on these boards that EAwas pretty confident they would let their game do the talking. After playing ESPN, I think it's a good game no doubt about it but it will not be better than Madden. Not 2 years ago, not this year, not ever. Madden is videogame football. Plain and simple. Now what do I do with my copy of ESPN once Madden comes out?? That's my only question now.
This is how it is, Madden only has few extra animation other then the fundamentals. You'll get 2 -3 different catch animations, and running the ball you run up the gut pin balling and not knockover your lineman. So on and so on

In espn there trying to put every thing in like all different catch jump catches and dives catches. Then the running you can knock over your line man, push on your lineman when he is blocking someone so on so on.

Espn just can't not get there animations to work properly when the they need to. If they stop worring about fluff and get there animations down like Madden
There would be no madden
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 AM   #40
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin
man, who cares, get the game, play the game, judge the game for yourself.
you clearly missed the part where i said i was renting like every year.

Anyway, there is clearly somthing odd about the review. Since the IGN xbox boards are in a frenzy about J-Robs opinion I looked through every other game that Xbox has that IGN gave an overall rating of 9.5 With the exception of Madden of course, every other 9.5 game, had no score in any catagory(presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay, lasting appeal) lower than a 9.0.

Its clear somthing is fishy. (yes i said fishy) and its a shame, because some individuals buy game strictly on reviews.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »