Home

IGN review at this link

This is a discussion on IGN review at this link within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: IGN review at this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
you clearly missed the part where i said i was renting like every year.

Anyway, there is clearly somthing odd about the review. Since the IGN xbox boards are in a frenzy about J-Robs opinion I looked through every other game that Xbox has that IGN gave an overall rating of 9.5 With the exception of Madden of course, every other 9.5 game, had no score in any catagory(presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay, lasting appeal) lower than a 9.0.

Its clear somthing is fishy. (yes i said fishy) and its a shame, because some individuals buy game strictly on reviews.
First of all, this is kind of conspiracy theorist, and second, anyone who buys a game based strictly on one review deserves to get jipped out of their money (not saying Madden will necessarily do that, just in general).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #42
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72

Quote:

Anyway, there is clearly somthing odd about the review. Since the IGN xbox boards are in a frenzy about J-Robs opinion I looked through every other game that Xbox has that IGN gave an overall rating of 9.5 With the exception of Madden of course, every other 9.5 game, had no score in any catagory(presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay, lasting appeal) lower than a 9.0.

Its clear somthing is fishy. (yes i said fishy) and its a shame, because some individuals buy game strictly on reviews.
Oh great, here we go with the conspiracy theories...
Old 08-06-2004, 03:20 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 18

we'll all know by next week thursday...im preparing for the worst, so i can be pleasantly surprised

just wanna see what gamespot has to say...cause there always critical of something...
Old 08-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #44
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28

Quote:
Then let those individuals worry about it Erin Brockovich.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #45
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

I can't understand what the big deal is here. Obviously the reviewer places more weight on certain elements of the game. Since IGN doesn't have a Tilt or Fun Factor rating like other sites do, then they don't generate an actual mathematical average as with those other sites. That is why it clearly states the score "IS NOT AN AVERAGE". Madden's Gameplay and Lasting Appeal (Franchise Mode) are impressive enough to push the reviewers final score further to the right.

Go tell Mulder or Scully something is "fishy" over at IGN and maybe they'll open an X-file on it for you. Either that or just plain forget about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have no problem with reviewers giving their opinion, because after all that is why we read, to see their opinion. But, when the total score for madden divided by 5 equals 8.6 and the total for ESPN divided by 5 equals 9.4 and Madden gets am overall 9.5 to 9.4 for ESPN, it becomes an enormous credibility issue. I won’t trust that site for an unbiased score again
Old 08-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #47
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefan
I have no problem with reviewers giving their opinion, because after all that is why we read, to see their opinion. But, when the total score for madden divided by 5 equals 8.6 and the total for ESPN divided by 5 equals 9.4 and Madden gets am overall 9.5 to 9.4 for ESPN, it becomes an enormous credibility issue. I won’t trust that site for an unbiased score again
Again, can people not read??? It clearly states "THIS IS NOT AN AVERAGE". How is credibility an issue?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint
I can't understand what the big deal is here. Obviously the reviewer places more weight on certain elements of the game. Since IGN doesn't have a Tilt or Fun Factor rating like other sites do, then they don't generate an actual mathematical average as with those other sites. That is why it clearly states the score "IS NOT AN AVERAGE". Madden's Gameplay and Lasting Appeal (Franchise Mode) are impressive enough to push the reviewers final score further to the right.

Go tell Mulder or Scully something is "fishy" over at IGN and maybe they'll open an X-file on it for you. Either that or just plain forget about it.
But one must admit that there is something strange about how the reviewer pulls a 9.5 out of the sky. The reviewer straight up added .8 to the average, just enough to rate the game higher than ESPN.... And posting the disclaimer "This is not an average" does exculpate the reviewer for perceived inconsistency. In fact, the "not an avearge" disclaimer puts the reviewer more on the hook to deliver a more detailed rational for the 9.5. I read the 9.5 as "but I like more than ESPN and since ESPN got a 9.4, I gotta give Madden a 9.5" (but I don't completely buy the payola rating theory, though it makes one wonder). IGN should have had two people review ESPN then have the same two people review Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »