Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 Review within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #105
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsNBroncos
but the game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

You are right. It's not that bad, but it's just not as great as it should be either though. But I'm not going to pass final judgment until I see what VC does with the next patch. That's the only thing that's keeping me from going back to 2K7 right now or getting The Show for PS2. But if they can iron out the kinks, I'll stick with it and give it a high 7 or maybe even an 8.0 if they really work some mojo with that patch. We'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 1
Hi guys, can someone please tell me how to substitute my pitcher. I am not very familiar with baseball and it keeps saying something about a Bull Pen, help me please?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #107
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Pause the game, scroll up and you should see the substitute menu.
If your talking about a pitcher getting hurt during the game then it should come up automatically.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #108
R**k**

Diesel3649's Arena

OVR: 3

Very good review, fair and balanced, hit all the points, good and bad.
I've always had the theory with 2K baseball games that the game engine is just not that great, and needs to be scrapped and a new one built from the ground up. I still have that feeling when I see some of the same issues year after year. With 2k's money problems, I don't see that happening any time soon.

This is just a theory, but I haven't seen much to make me feel that I'm wrong in the past 3 or 4 years. Every year I still hope they come up with something great, but I feel that I should wish VC good luck making chicken salad out of chicken ****.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #109
Banned

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Haha, from what little bit I played of MLB 2K9 (literally two games) I would attest to most of the points made and the score. Not like I played it enough to give a review of my own, but MLB 2K9 is so far behind The Show it's not even funny. We're talking NBA LIve 06 compared to NBA 2K6 separation levels here.
Don't go there..Nothing 2k makes is as bad as Jive...Uh, except maybe Prizefighter!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #110
Pro

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
That's exactly my point, and why I put it in quotes.

How can you review a game, expecting the reviewer to be level in how reviews this game compared to other sports games, and expect them to factor in that sliders can "fix" a game for them?

Does that make sense?
Exactly. People expecting another review based on sliders are being ridiculous and grasping at straws. What sliders is he supposed to review on considering everyone would change different things if they were making their own sliders? Besides, expecting people to tinker with sliders for hours to attempt to play a game of baseball that isn't completely broken after they've just spend $60 on the game is beyond absurd.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #111
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I don't really get it. I'm saying to people it isn't broken, and that if sliders can make the game more to your preference - that should be factored in.
We are talking about videogame baseball, and your idea of what bliss is like will differ than mine.
I feel like the point of the review was to dock major points for the game not simulating real life baseball extremely closely - right out of the box.
I think your argument against mine is that the game is fundamentally 'broken' in certain aspects - is that right? And that sliders can band-aid those aspects and that the consumer shouldn't be expected to have to fix those issues himself..at least I think that's where you're going.
I'm just saying this is all very subjective and I'm not convinced that the game has to be extremely sim right out of the box to get a good score.
I think it's a great 'fusion' of sim, especially with my current sliders and I'm very happy w/ how it's playing now. I could list stats like my team BA or pitch count and things like this. I'll have lower walks (taken and given) and pitch counts - but everything else is very believable and my games only take 40-45 minutes.
So basically why you disagree with the review is that you like arcade baseball. You'd probably loved the old Triple Play games too didn't you? Personally I want a realistic experience from my baseball experience right down to allowing me to control everything all 30 teams do with their rosters (thank you The Show!) and having 20-2 games and 85 HRs in a season by one player is neither fun nor acceptable. If I wanted to play MLB slugfest I'd play the baseball game that comes with the Wii. For $60 I want a baseball sim and 2K has once again failed miserably at creating that although I'd argue that they aren't trying to make a sim game anymore. They are clearly going for a more arcade experience (and like I said if that's your cup of tea, enjoy!).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #112
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
the main difference is that 2k9 isn't broken...at least in my eyes. a typical game of mine I throw 85-95 pitches and the other team 95-120. That's not 'passable'? the game isn't for you...that's fine, but it's not broken imo either.
Amount of pitches thrown in a game determines whether this game is broken or not? Are you serious?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »