Home

Can anyone steal consistently?

This is a discussion on Can anyone steal consistently? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Can anyone steal consistently?

Whose bright idea at 2K was it to HOLD DOWN the trigger to steal???

No Common Sense... The lead, fine...try to hold down the left trigger, pickoff and I am half way between 1st and 2nd. The baserunner controls are also ludicrous. Guys on 1 and 2nd, the player on 1st is slow...therefore when I hit one of my many bloopers to the OF, my guy on 2nd is highlighted and I push down on the RS. Guy that was on first ALSO tries to be aggressive and go to 3rd...thrown out.

This game is putrid outside of the presentation.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

I was gunned down twice by Posada when I was hustlin' with Ellsbury. one was on a breaking ball and the other was on a fastball. guy threw a perfect strike both times and i didnt stand a chance.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #19
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23

I have not been able to steal. Mostly because I don't even know how to run the bases let along steal.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

It is NOT a broken part of this game.

It takes time AND timing. Factor in WHO you're trying to run against. The Molinas? Good luck.

Like some of you said, watch the pitcher, take a good-sized lead, and go on the pitcher's first movement.

It takes some getting used to, but it's a fun part of the game and (again) it is NOT broken.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty730
It is NOT a broken part of this game.

It takes time AND timing. Factor in WHO you're trying to run against. The Molinas? Good luck.

Like some of you said, watch the pitcher, take a good-sized lead, and go on the pitcher's first movement.

It takes some getting used to, but it's a fun part of the game and (again) it is NOT broken.
That is debatable as far as being broken. When you have Reyes who has 99 speed, he shouldn't even need a perfect jump with the timing. Yet I see CPU runners who have 70 speed steal bases left and right?

I agree that its possible to steal, but I've had 90+ speed guys make some and not make others that SHOULD have been easy steals, and I've gotten pretty good at my release against weak catchers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

There isn't a single catcher in the game that throws out 50% of the base runners attempting to steal. Gerald Laird threw out the most last year at 42 with a 42% percentage. Yadier Molina threw out over 30 base runners at roughly the same 42%. The two worst regular catchers were Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek who only threw out 14% and 13% respectively.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
That is debatable as far as being broken. When you have Reyes who has 99 speed, he shouldn't even need a perfect jump with the timing. Yet I see CPU runners who have 70 speed steal bases left and right?

I agree that its possible to steal, but I've had 90+ speed guys make some and not make others that SHOULD have been easy steals, and I've gotten pretty good at my release against weak catchers.
Well, speed doesn't always translate to success.

Reyes is probably an average basestealer. Chase Utley, on the other hand, is a very good basestealer.

Here are my numbers through 27 games:

Rollins: 3/5
Victorino: 9/10
Utley: 4/4
Werth:4/5
Howard: 0/1
Polanco: 0/1
Old 03-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty730
Well, speed doesn't always translate to success.

Reyes is probably an average basestealer. Chase Utley, on the other hand, is a very good basestealer.

Here are my numbers through 27 games:

Rollins: 3/5
Victorino: 9/10
Utley: 4/4
Werth:4/5
Howard: 0/1
Polanco: 0/1
Not buyin it bro. I will agree that stealing isn't impossible but it's too inconsistent by far. You stole with Victorino 9 out of 10 times? I'd have to see some proof to believe that honestly.

Not saying that he isn't a good stealer, but the stealing mechanic in this game doesn't qualify for that kind of consistency.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »