Home

MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid)

This is a discussion on MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #81
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: MLB 2K11 Preview (Destructoid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter2455
What a different hitting system would reflect is how guys like Uribe sell out on an outside fastball to pull it for a HR. Just like you said, they need to find a way to allow hitters to hit the direction they want more but with more penalty.

Did anyone here use the "zone hitting" option in 2k9?
If you sold out on an outside pitch in that version, and the guy came inside, you would break your bat half the time. That kind of option with better integration would be fantastic.
I suck at zone hitting and 2K10 was the first time I bought 2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter2455
\
I'm sure you already know this, but there are very few right-handed hitters dumb enough to try to hit oppo at AT&T Park. A road split would be more representative for ANY righty.
Unfortunately the site only provides stadium specific hit charts so it's just easiest to use the home stadium. I'd have to look at 29 other graphs to analyze road data and I'm simply too lazy to do that lol. I will note that all of Aubrey Huff's HRs last year at home were pulled to RF. No opposite field shots. Just way too many examples of guys that pull almost all of their HRs to illustrate my point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #82
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
True. But wouldn't that hurt the strategy when pitching against someone like Uribe?
Knowing that he hasn't hit an opposite field HR in nearly half-a-decade, I would be pitching to make sure I kept him to the outside.
If the game allows him to hit opp-HR, then that strategy kind of takes a hit doesn't it?
Oh my, I never thought of that! We should alert the entire National League when they square off against Los Angeles this year!

My snide sarcasm inside (sorry about that ), the point is pitchers already attempt to do this. They are at times very successful as you can see from Uribe's batting average, and from his 25 home runs you can say they were often unsuccessful. They don't always paint the black, and even if so Uribe doesn't always have to go for a home run to call his at bat a success. Besides, Uribe is worse on inside pitches anyway. He has a terrible swing and approach, and most of his success is defined by his strength when he happens to get good wood on it.

If this game truly reflected the real life Juan Uribe, I wouldn't be driving outside fastballs for him unless I'm establishing a slider later in the at bat that will fall off the dish. The fact of the matter is no baseball game has had reflective dynamic push/pull and inside/outside attributes that authentically hold well with a decent physics system. We might have to settle a few more years for opposite field shots into McCovey Cove.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #83
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
If this game truly reflected the real life Juan Uribe, I wouldn't be driving outside fastballs for him unless I'm establishing a slider later in the at bat that will fall off the dish. The fact of the matter is no baseball game has had reflective dynamic push/pull and inside/outside attributes that authentically hold well with a decent physics system. We might have to settle a few more years for opposite field shots into McCovey Cove.
This is true. And since we always are the same guy controlling the batter, every batter has a similar personality as opposed to real life. Furthermore a video game sometimes lacks fun if it gets too sim (debatable). But I'd still like to see less oppo-bombs than I currently see. Hopefully that was tweaked. There is nothing more beautiful than turning on a fastball and smoking it 400+ feet.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 47

Juan had one opposite HR LAST YEAR!!! . And it was the best one too.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #85
Banned

OVR: 0

Do you guys really have a discussion about opposite field HR in a video game....These things will never be fixed completely.......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #86
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq
Do you guys really have a discussion about opposite field HR in a video game....These things will never be fixed completely.......
I find this stuff interesting. And it has been done better in other games so it's not like it can't be improved. Besides, we have to pass the time before the demo.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #87
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I find this stuff interesting. And it has been done better in other games so it's not like it can't be improved. Besides, we have to pass the time before the demo.
Yeah I get that....Will PC get the demo?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #88
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Juan had one opposite HR LAST YEAR!!! . And it was the best one too.
Ha! That was awesome...! First thing I thought about when I saw Uribe and opposite field HRs

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »