Home

Tigers' Den (Home of the Detroit Tigers)

This is a discussion on Tigers' Den (Home of the Detroit Tigers) within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #1865
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Tigers' Den (Home of the Detroit Tigers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
That's the conundrum for me right now, is Avila tanking because of skill or luck? Is he the next Dumars? Would that be good or bad? We'll have to find out
Depends on which Dumars. Is it the Dumars who built one of the best teams of the 00's, or one of the most bloated failures of the early 10's? I agree that the hard part is building it back up. I don't know how many teams, especially in the NHL, I've seen have issues making the push back into contention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #1866
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
That's the conundrum for me right now, is Avila tanking because of skill or luck? Is he the next Dumars? Would that be good or bad? We'll have to find out
I'd take a Tigers' version of Dumars' entire Pistons tenure. If the Tiggers went to 6 straight ALCS's, 2 World Series, and won a title? Hell yeah I'd sign up for that. Yes, the end was ugly, but that level of success over the better part of decade is worth almost any back-end pain. The Tigers have never had that kind of success over any 7-8 year span in their entire 100+ year history.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:31 AM   #1867
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I'd take a Tigers' version of Dumars' entire Pistons tenure. If the Tiggers went to 6 straight ALCS's, 2 World Series, and won a title? Hell yeah I'd sign up for that. Yes, the end was ugly, but that level of success over the better part of decade is worth almost any back-end pain. The Tigers have never had that kind of success over any 7-8 year span in their entire 100+ year history.
Idunno man, DD built a monster of a team for a good 5+ year run, the endgame success wasn't there, but I actually enjoyed baseball for his entire run. Maybe DD got lucky and unlucky at the same time?
Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #1868
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

The 1980s maybe? It's tough because only 4 teams total made the playoffs back then. You'd be adding 80', 83', 86' and 88' to the 1980s run if you had 10 teams making it like now.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #1869
All Star

Quote:
Idunno man, DD built a monster of a team for a good 5+ year run, the endgame success wasn't there, but I actually enjoyed baseball for his entire run. Maybe DD got lucky and unlucky at the same time?
No doubt, I don't have any ill will towards Dave Dombrowski, I (along with every other Tigers fan) just wish it would have culminated in a title. That would have been a pretty solid salve against the inevitable aftermath that we are witnessing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
The 1980s maybe? It's tough because only 4 teams total made the playoffs back then. You'd be adding 80', 83', 86' and 88' to the 1980s run if you had 10 teams making it like now.
Good point. And you gotta believe at least one of those teams would have made a run, given the success of wild card teams since the introduction of the expanded playoff field.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #1870
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

I know the Tigers felt they had to rebuild, but look at the players they've let go in the last few years (through trades or FA):

Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Price, Fiers, Ray, Suarez, Martinez, Iglesias, Maybin, McCann, Upton, Garcia

That's a pretty darn good team right there...not sure how much return they truly have gotten back on them. The Tigers had a great run from 2006-2014 and IMO baseball is better when Detroit is competitive; would love to see them turn it around quickly.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:18 AM   #1871
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I know the Tigers felt they had to rebuild, but look at the players they've let go in the last few years (through trades or FA):

Verlander, Scherzer, Porcello, Price, Fiers, Ray, Suarez, Martinez, Iglesias, Maybin, McCann, Upton, Garcia

That's a pretty darn good team right there...not sure how much return they truly have gotten back on them. The Tigers had a great run from 2006-2014 and IMO baseball is better when Detroit is competitive; would love to see them turn it around quickly.
Not to mention Castellanos 1.071 OPS since joining the Cubs

The trade returns have been underwhelming, to say the least, but that's the whole "who really knows?" part of the situation.

The draft picks have looked outstanding as a result of the tanking, but once again, who knows?

we can only wait and see how this plays out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #1872
All Star

The end finally comes for Avila's tenure as GM. In the intervening 3 years since anyone last posted in this thread (LOL), we drafted:

2020: Spencer Torkelson
2021: Jackson Jobe
2022: Jace Jung

Torkelson is back in Toledo and Jobe was in high school last year. Jung is...who knows?

We have had 1 "All-Star" - Gregory Soto, who was only there because each team needs a rep, and a few weeks after the game, we couldn't trade him today for a single-A prospect.

We spent $240 Million on free agents, headlined by Javy Baez, who is having his worst MLB season ever, and Eduardo Rodriguez, who went AWOL for 2 months and is only now reporting to a minor league assignment. Oh, and we owe those guys $120-mil and $63-mil (respectively) over the next 4-5 years.

Before the season the Tigers' brass declared the rebuild "100% over". Well, it's now 100% starting all over again. Great job, guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »