Home

1978 Revisited!!

This is a discussion on 1978 Revisited!! within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
MVP

Baseballking888's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: 1978 Revisited!!

Bucky *bleepin* Dent.

I'm looking forward to this set, man! Please keep us updated!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin9pin5
Hoozier, Nice stuff, can't wait. I was 7 years old in '78, and still miss Mel Allen's voice saying "And that's, This week (pause) in baseball".

1978 Orioles, a time in baseball when you could win 90 games, have 3 of your 4 pitchers with ERA's under 4.00 (the 4th being Mike Flanagan with a 4.03) and still finish 4th in the AL East!!!!

Can't wait to play Murray, May, and Singleton. I remember those years before Cal fondly, where Mark Belanger can get 300+ at bats and drive in 16 runs all year! LOL

Anyway, I'm about to make a post in the rosters forum to solicit some info/feedback. I have a little project I want to do to reincarnate Bahnzo's roster tool application, but only I want to use a different technology to do it. Not going to be a standalone application at all. I've already started the coding of the project and have started to implement a few of Bahnzo's algorithms for calculating the player values, but I'd like to ask this question (because it tends to deal more with what I'm going to use the tool for):

What do most people do when creating MLB The Show player values for era's (not earned run averages as in ERA ) in baseball, when split stats were not available?

I've noticed via baseball-reference, that split stats go back to 1918. I need to determine what formula I'm going to use to generate the right/left contact/power ratings for years prior to 1918. You guys have any interesting feedback to that question?

In the past, I've made the judgement call that most players would have a better batting average/power against pitchers of the opposing hand. I realize this is NOT always the case, and don't wish to start a he-said/she-said argument siting examples! LOL But I would like anyone's feedback concerning a "good baseball mind's" opinion on how to do this, while making it as generic, yet as fair as possible.

I've looked at creating contact ratings for a Right handed batter, by multiplying the players batting average by 1.05, and then applying Bahnzo's formula, to determine the Left Contact value. Next, multiplying the players batting average by 0.95 and then applying Bahnzo's formula, to determine the Right Contact Value. I'd use the same theory for the players respective power ratings. This theory would basically give each player a slightly higher batting average against pitchers of the opposing hand, and a slightly lower batting average against pitchers of the same hand.

For example, this would give a right handed batter who batted .310 on the season, a batting average of .325 against lefties and a .295 against righties. Those averages then get plugged into Bahnzo's formula to determine both L and R contact ratings.

What is your thoughts? Curious and excited to see how baseball minds would tackle a problem that has to be applied to all players, yet fairly.

And, please, look for my post concerning the project i noted above, in the rosters section of the forums. I'd like to hear everyone's feedback. No spreadsheet solution, no copying and pasting stats, just navigate to the baseball-reference team page for the team you want player values for, and viola (not Frank Viola ), you get your values to plug into The Show!!!
That sounds great!!! If you can do it that would make it a lot easier for these roster makers. Have your started yet?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
MVP

bostongahden's Arena

OVR: 4

I love classic baseball. I am currently playing a complete season with the all-time rosters of pjsnell using, of course, the Red Sox. I was 12 years old in '78 and in my third season of following the Red Sox. My first year as a Sox fan was '75. Talk about heartbreak early huh? I'm an administrator on a Sox website and I'm putting up my results and highlights for the members to follow. If you wish, check out my posts published on the home page under the name "BostonRob" >> http://www.redsoxnationfans.com/content/
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwings832
That sounds great!!! If you can do it that would make it a lot easier for these roster makers. Have your started yet?
Yes I have started on it, check out the post on the main rosters forum page.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

Read your first post this morning. Holy Cow!!!! (Not quoting Harry Carey) I am pumped. If you could do this it would probably save my marriage!!! I spend way too much time researching and inputting stats into a calculator (hats off to Kritter) just to spend loads of time in-game creating all the players. BTW, most of you guys are younger than I am by far. I must be the old fart of this crew. I was 17 in 1978!! STILL love baseball and gaming, and will until I reach that big diamond in the sky!! Keep it up kin9pin5. Lets make 2013 the year of Historical Baseball!!!! ----Oh yeah, 7 teams done in my '78 set. Cant wait!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

This sounds amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #23
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoozierDaddy61
Finished with 4 teams in one day!! Going faster than before. I am using my 1984 roster as my base so I don't have to create so many players from scratch. Happy to see everyone still playing and interested in classic baseball. I remember watching NBC on Saturday's for the game of the week. No VCR, no DVR, no ESPN, so if you missed it, you never got to see it. Closest thing to highlights was "This Week In Baseball" with the unforgettable voice of Mel Allen!! My favorite 1978 teams were the Reds and Dodgers. I liked the Yankees too but that is sort of against my code because I am a Tigers fan!! Not saying I can keep up at this pace, but I may be done sooner than anticipated!!! Thanks for you comments and your interest in the season. FYI, they still haven't got "GARVEY" in the game. Still using "GARVIN" LOL!
I didn't think it was possible to be a Reds fan AND a Dodgers fan!

I was a big fan of the Big Red Machine back in the day, and hated the Dodgers with every fiber of my being. So, as I'm concerned, that guy will always be Steve Garvin.

P.S. This Week in Baseball was awesome! Just like the weekly NFL Films shows.

Ahhh, the mammaries are all coming back to me now!

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

American League is done!!! Starting on National tomorrow!!! Hope to be done soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »