Home

DrUrsus All-Star Sliders to draw walks, be selective & CPU plays "fairer" game

This is a discussion on DrUrsus All-Star Sliders to draw walks, be selective & CPU plays "fairer" game within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #57
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: DrUrsus All-Star Sliders to draw walks, be selective & CPU plays "fairer" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
Yup. I actually play on Classic, so all my results have been with Classic. I think raising the User Control and Consistency helps a lot (along with their CPU Contact/Timing/Solid Hits being reduced to 3). It evens it out a bit and I don't feel like a big disadvantage anymore.

I actually feel in command with the stud aces (like when I play with Peavy, Santana, Halladay etc.), but I still have to work really hard with the lower tier pitchers. The CPU offense seems more balanced now, I don't feel like I get cheated by Nick Punto (like a 400 foot homerun) when I leave it over the plate a little too much with a Haren or something....if anything, he might bloop it the other way for a double.
I totally agree with you on those points. That is what I am liking about it. Plus, if you do leave a hanging slider over the plate Nick Punto can still jack it out, but not pull sliders low and outside, lol.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #58
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

Re: DrUrsus All-Star Sliders to draw walks, be selective & CPU plays "fairer" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Vis-a-vis the comeback AI issue, I just had the ultimate "there's no such thing" game. I was playing ATL, at their place, and was up 2-1 in the bottom of the 9th. I brought Lindstrom in and gave up a triple to Schaffer on a mis-play by Maybin.

With Willie Harris, Kelly Johnson, and Yunel Escobar up next, I was positive I'd give up the tying run. I struck out Harris, got an at-em ball from Johnson, and Escobar flew out to center. It was an awesome feeling to close the game out like that.
I totally know what you are saying. I had a few games just like that.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #59
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
4-4 with these using FLA. I do think that the 7-8 range is the right value for power. I'm able to drive the ball now to the gaps and down the line more than before, and am finally hitting more 2B than HR (9:6 ratio thus far).

Pitching might still be too easy, but I'm going to wait until I face some stronger teams. I have given up as many as 8 runs and 5 walks in a game, and I also have thrown a CG shut out, so good variety there.

I'll post some hard numbers after 10 just for observation's sake.
Maybe try putting pitching down to 6 for user control and 7 for user consistency or vice versa if you still find pitching too easy. If it is still too easy, you could go to 6 and 6, but I don't think lower than that is any good.

I like the amount of doubles I am getting (I do occasionally use L stick which helps with power since you dead on the ball if you right on it). HR's haven't been too easy either. After I get enough games in, I will post some stats. The wind has been blowing in a lot on me lately which makes a huge difference in this game I have noticed.

What surprises me is that even with Psycho's maxed out infielder reaction, I am still getting some good doubles down the line in both left and right. I have debated the fielder reaction time, but at the end it helps keep hits down and helps me with my fielding.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #60
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfctguns
I am excited to try out your sliders, cant wait till i get homke from work to try them out... I have been playing on veteran for my RTTS player for a few weeks before i started my franchise today.

I started my franchise on all-star mode with default sliders as the Mets.

Santana got rocked 7 runs in 6 innings allowing 3 HR. Reds 9 Mets 8. Wind blowing out 15MPH to right

Maine took a no hitter into the 5th inning but tired and gave up 3 runs in the 7th. Reds 3 Mets 1. No HRs Wind Blowing in 10 MPH

I am pretty paitent at the plate and draw about a walk or two per game with dafault settings and speed pitch...How much of a difference will lowering the pitch speed make when hitting?
Lowering the pitch speed really helps to see the movement of the pitch and judge balls and strikes more to draw walks. There still is enough of a relative speed difference between pitches to make hitting difficult.
This is really a user preference. If it's too easy for you, you can always move them up. My reflexes are not as good as they used to be because I do a lot of procedures at work, and I lowered it to help me judge balls and strikes as well. I still strike out enough, but at least I can draw 1 or 2 walks per game. Sad thing is there are more walks to be had, but I swing at ball 4 sometimes.
With the CPU pitching set the way it is, there are less good pitches in the strike zone sometimes (since they can walk you), so you have to be selective or you will strike out swinging at bad pitches, lol. They "learn" if you hack a lot on 1st pitches and adjust. They also learn if you are constantly taking and will start grooving them sometimes.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #61
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrux
dumb question

CPU comeback: OFF

where is this option?

has a different name ?

thanks in advance.......

I'm not sure where it is. I think its in the options menu, but maybe only in-game or before the franchise starts.
It should be off on default, and there is really no need to turn it on with my sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #62
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
DrUrsus, i use classic pitching and with other slider sets i have used having human pitcher control & consistency at 6 or higher just seems like it is to automatic and easy. I was thinking of dropping control to 5 and consistency to 4 or 3. Just curious to what you think about this...?
I only use meter pitching although I have tried classic and like it a lot (reminds me a little of high heat baseball which is one of my all time favorite baseball games).
I haven't switched to classic yet even though I like it mostly because I thought I might have to tweak my sliders again (user pitching), lol. pbz uses classic pitching and I think he's still on 7 and 7 or 6 and 6.
I wouldn't see any problems with tweaking those control and consistency sliders to see how they work out for you. Try just lowering one down one first and go from there. Let us know what you decide on, and then we can post them. I'll then try them out when/if I ever decide to switch over to classic pitching. I have considered switching because I like the idea of the pitchers attributes playing a larger part.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
Like I stated in the first post, these sliders aren't for everyone. Some people are too good to play with these, and maybe you are one of those people.
I feel that these sliders are perfect for the in-betweeners that are better than veteran, but have trouble winning consistently on default All-star (which is me).
I can win on default All-Star, but I could end up struggling with the Cubs to even be at .500 (which might be realistic this year, lol (but, they have had lots of injuries and I reflect those since I "follow" the seasons injuries, transactions, movements, etc)).
Plus, on default All-star, I don't like the "feel" of the game. Too many times on default, it is just CPU get a hit, CPU jack one out of the ballpark (at least for many of us).
I guess. Last year I was abusing HOF, ALL STAR seems the way to go this year, as long as the user contact and timing sliders are way lowered.

I've now been tinkering with lower solid hit (3), higher power (6), lower contact (3) and timing at (2), and seems to produce some good stuff. CPU almost the same. (timing 4) Seems to produce higher & longer double/triples (off the wall), more bloops, more pop outs, etc, but without the streaking HR's and seeing eye singles. I'm going to dial them in and restart again with Knight v5.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
Lowering the pitch speed really helps to see the movement of the pitch and judge balls and strikes more to draw walks. There still is enough of a relative speed difference between pitches to make hitting difficult.
This is really a user preference. If it's too easy for you, you can always move them up. My reflexes are not as good as they used to be because I do a lot of procedures at work, and I lowered it to help me judge balls and strikes as well. I still strike out enough, but at least I can draw 1 or 2 walks per game. Sad thing is there are more walks to be had, but I swing at ball 4 sometimes.
With the CPU pitching set the way it is, there are less good pitches in the strike zone sometimes (since they can walk you), so you have to be selective or you will strike out swinging at bad pitches, lol. They "learn" if you hack a lot on 1st pitches and adjust. They also learn if you are constantly taking and will start grooving them sometimes.
Something needs to be said about the response time of your TV, and the resolution you're playing on. Newer TV's with higher response times seem to make the pitch easier to pick up; i.e. a pitch speed of 5 on a new Sony LCD = a 3 on an older TV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »