Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 12 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 12 Version] within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 12 Version]

Any new updates?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs3141
Any new updates?
Not yet... on the 53rd game still on default to establish the baseline results. The stats thru 52 games are attached.

Haven't totally decided on my next move. The trends I'm seeing since my last post with stats are:

(1) slightly inflated offense
(2) slightly reduced # of walks and Ks
(3) a little less XBHs
(4) inflated GIDPs
(5) slightly less SB attempt and/or success
(6) less HBPs and WPs

Will see how things play out after all the No. 4s and 5s start.

I'm seeing continues, I probably will:

-- lower Fielder Run Speed slightly and Fielder Arm Strength quite a few clicks to improve XBH numbers.
-- lower Pitcher Consistency by a couple clicks to induce more walks, HBPs, WPs.

I think other issues can be trickier to correct and want to see more games in before I start thinking about if any tweaks are really necessary.

But all in all, the default plays just fine. I bet you hardly notice subtle deviations from the MLB aves if you aren't so conscious about the need to tweak sliders.
Attached Images
File Type: png thru52_1.png (13.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: png thru52_2.png (8.9 KB, 399 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Nice stuff Nomo...I am on game #22 and was worried about my Hits and Runs being too low but after seeing you guys (you, ninjoid, heroes, floyd) numbers on those two categories look very close to spot on it eases my worries. Onward I go
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreer
Nice stuff Nomo...I am on game #22 and was worried about my Hits and Runs being too low but after seeing you guys (you, ninjoid, heroes, floyd) numbers on those two categories look very close to spot on it eases my worries. Onward I go
Yeah it's been usually the case with this game I suppose, but we always see nice variations in games played. On one hand it can be frustrating how all the results might not seem consistent comparing stats for a couple dozen games played by different people, but on the other hand that's what makes this game great even for just watching CPUs play against each other... play variety is even greater this year.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #21
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I'm seeing continues, I probably will:

-- lower Fielder Run Speed slightly and Fielder Arm Strength quite a few clicks to improve XBH numbers.
Am I looking at the same chart? You're 2B, 3B, and HR numbers are dead on. And you still have yet to finish the 4 and 5's which ought to make up the almost literal fraction of a percent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Am I looking at the same chart? You're 2B, 3B, and HR numbers are dead on. And you still have yet to finish the 4 and 5's which ought to make up the almost literal fraction of a percent.
When I compare XBHs, I'm actually looking at the fractions of all safe hits that end up in doubles, triples, and HRs (2B%, 3B%, and HR% in the image above).

Per game stats can be misleading at times. Say if the league batting ave in the Show after the game engine got screwed somehow is .500, twice the usual, which means your H per G will probably be roughly twice the MLB average. Then if all these XBHs are still produced correctly *in the field*, then you'll end up seeing twice more double, triples, etc., even when all the solid hits to outfield are handled properly by outfielders.

If outfielders in the game position, handle batted balls, and throw to bases/cut-off men just like in real life, then those XBH fractions should be similar to the ones we see in real life. On the other hand, if they are off, that means outfielders aren't exactly playing as real-life counterparts do.

So that's my reasoning.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Right. I understand that. Your hits per game and overall batting average is high, therefore inflating your XBH numbers.

But why would your next change be to reduce run speed and arm strength. This will only increase hits all around as well as increase your already wonderful XBH numbers.

Reduce just fielder speed and arm strength, and I'll bet you see hits soar above 10 per team per game.

I understand dropping consistency eventually, but not run speed and arm strength? Without addressing hits in general first (if you do indeed deem hits to be high), maybe even through the pitching sliders to begin with to increase SO, wouldn't making this change adversely inflate offense even further?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, Nomo. I'm just asking for you to expound on your logic (which is almost always very solid).
Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Right. I understand that. Your hits per game and overall batting average is high, therefore inflating your XBH numbers.

But why would your next change be to reduce run speed and arm strength. This will only increase hits all around as well as increase your already wonderful XBH numbers.

Reduce just fielder speed and arm strength, and I'll bet you see hits soar above 10 per team per game.

I understand dropping consistency eventually, but not run speed and arm strength? Without addressing hits in general first (if you do indeed deem hits to be high), maybe even through the pitching sliders to begin with to increase SO, wouldn't making this change adversely inflate offense even further?
My thinking is that Fielder Arm Strength would only affect bang-bang plays, which may not happen often enough to skew the stats I'm tracking so much... and the consensus is that outfielder arm is just too strong the way it is. So all in all I'm not so concerned about the effect of varying that slider.

Fielder Speed does change outfielder's range A LOT, which will increase XBHs as well as singles. So as you say I should be careful here obviously, and if I touch the slider is it is probably just one click. Sometimes I feel fast outfielders move a bit too fast, and they almost always get to the ball in the most efficient path (straight line), so my thinking is that it's not so bad to handicap them a bit. But the outfield play variety has been fine, so I don't necessarily have to make this adjustment.

As for overall offense, if the trend continues, I'm thinking of reducing it a bit some way or another that I haven't discussed... (and that's partly why I wouldn't mind reducing Fielder Speed by one click even if it ends up inflating offense just a tiny bit). Haven't decided how to go about this, but I want to see slightly more swing-n-miss (which reduces fouls a bit and increases Ks) at the same time.

If last year was any indication, I don't think lowering Pitcher Consistency slider leads to too much offense inflation, even though that should increase pitches not well located (errant ones as well as meat pitches). So I'm just taking it as something to adjust strike to ball ratio, as well as HBPs and WPs in one shot. But I don't think we need to lower this as much as some of us did last year. BB/G is around 3 right now, so maybe just one or two click might be all that's necessary.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, Nomo. I'm just asking for you to expound on your logic (which is almost always very solid).
Arguing with me so intensely as to some people wrongly think there's more than just baseball talk is going on is totally fine as long as points are communicated... don't have to worry about hurting my very, very fragile ego, in fact so fragile that a six-year-old can shatter with her pinky...

I tend to be more fed up with "hey can we f*** tn? ly cul8r xoxxo Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk" kinda posts so it's all fine. Don't know why but when I write on the web people almost always tell me that I sound too serious, so if anything it's my writing which brings fear to the serene and pastoral community that is OS... jk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »