Home

My Fate is in Your Hands: To Samsung or not to Samsung

This is a discussion on My Fate is in Your Hands: To Samsung or not to Samsung within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #89
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: My Fate is in Your Hands: To Samsung or not to Samsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
LCD's have burn in issues too with the above scenario.

Not nearly as crucial though. Not even close.

Sure it does happen, even CRTs get them, but not even close to Plasma rates.

Though they have come a long way since years ago... it is still way more common than LCDs.

Really interested in a 1080p plasma though if you have any recommendations, it would be great. And no, I wont be able to find a Kuro.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #90
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
That makes me feel better about getting a plasma. Sounds like 720p is best since that's what the game is native to, but how about just watching a regular baseball game? Is 1080p that much better than 720? Like worth the extra few hundred bucks for a TV that's got 1080 as opposed to one that's just 720? Looking around Best Buy's site, there are some really cheap Samsung's that are only 720. 1080 seems to go about 300 or so more...is it that much better for a real baseball game? As for the game, I think I prefer what it's native to, but I'd give it a try in 1080 I guess and see if I see the delay other people are complaining about.
TV is broadcast with an interlaced signal, guys. That means it's 1080i, not 1080p. There's not enough bandwidth for TV networks to broadcast in 1080p and won't be for a long time.

The only way you're going to get a real 1080p picture is with Blu Ray.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #91
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
TV is broadcast with an interlaced signal, guys. That means it's 1080i, not 1080p. There's not enough bandwidth for TV networks to broadcast in 1080p and won't be for a long time.

The only way you're going to get a real 1080p picture is with Blu Ray.
what about satellite?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #92
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
what about satellite?
Even worse bandwidth and more latency issues.

Fiber Optic (DSL/Cable) is as good as it gets for now, they can do it technically right now with that, but they refuse to because it would cut too much into their telecom profits.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #93
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Not nearly as crucial though. Not even close.

Sure it does happen, even CRTs get them, but not even close to Plasma rates.

Though they have come a long way since years ago... it is still way more common than LCDs.

Really interested in a 1080p plasma though if you have any recommendations, it would be great. And no, I wont be able to find a Kuro.
Modern plasma's display very little image burn in versus a minor image retention (big difference), as do LCD's but they simply relabel it image persistence (but its the same thing). Besides LCD's are getting outmoded by LED's and perhaps OLED's (however OLED's have image retention problems of their own).

If no Kuro, I'd recommend a Panny V10 or Sammy 860. With the 2010 models coming out, now is a great time to buy a 2009 model.

I'd also recommend a good audio receiver as TV speakers generally suck these days.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #94
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon
I have a 40" LCD Samsung in my bedroom (LN-T4042). For the longest time I only ever played MLB on my 50" Hitachi RPTV in the living room, but then I got this great idea to buy an HDMI splitter and run a long HDMI cord into the bedroom so I had the option to game in there as well.

After a couple hundred dollars worth of cords and a splitter and several hours of fishing wires, I got it hooked up only to find out that I can't play MLB in there due to the severe lag. I have tried the "Game Mode" setting, but it doesn't fix it. It's really unfortunate because that TV has a great picture...I even went so far as to purchase an adapter that converts the HDMI cord to the VGA style plug so I could plug it directly into the PC port (which should work), but for some reason I get no picture at all...probably a handshake issue. The thing was $200 and fortunately I was able to return it without any difficulty.

There are several fixes that seem to help some people (as mentioned in those links here), but unfortunately my TV is old enough that it doesn't have 1080p capability, which is required to use the "PC Port" fix among others.

Not all is lost though as I am still able to watch movies and play some games that don't rely on timing as much...
I am thinking for all that money & effort you spent on the above setup it may have been worth it to just purchase a second PS3. (which is what I did)
Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #95
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
Modern plasma's display very little image burn in versus a minor image retention (big difference), as do LCD's but they simply relabel it image persistence (but its the same thing). Besides LCD's are getting outmoded by LED's and perhaps OLED's (however OLED's have image retention problems of their own).

If no Kuro, I'd recommend a Panny V10 or Sammy 860. With the 2010 models coming out, now is a great time to buy a 2009 model.

I'd also recommend a good audio receiver as TV speakers generally suck these days.

Good luck.
Why do you recommend a TV that the manufacturer already admits is flawed? The V10 is a lemon. After one year, the black levels are terrible. Unless you want to buy a TV every year, with your game, I would skip the V10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #96
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
Why do you recommend a TV that the manufacturer already admits is flawed? The V10 is a lemon. After one year, the black levels are terrible. Unless you want to buy a TV every year, with your game, I would skip the V10.

Yeah I just read up on that, the Panny plasmas (V10,G10,Z1) are flawed. And not recommended by review sites due to this.

Editors' note, February 9, 2010: According to user reports, which first surfaced on enthusiast Web site AVS Forum, this Panasonic plasma may lose black level performance noticeably over time. Panasonic has issued statement, admitting to changes over time but saying performance is still "excellent." While CNET reviewers have not been able to verify or refute either claim, we nonetheless do not recommend buying this TV. Click here for more information.

The Samsung seems like the next best option, but sites are also raving about the Samsung 8500 LED LCD which looks tempting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »