Home

Changing Player Positions

This is a discussion on Changing Player Positions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Changing Player Positions

Do any of you guys and/or girls change a player's primary or secondary position after starting your franchise? If so, what are your house rules on it? In the past, I would make the player play at least one season primarily at that position before allowing a switch if they have that position listed as a secondary position. If not, then the first year would add the position as a secondary and the second year would change it to primary. Anyone else do anything similar? What about editing defensive rating adjustments? What about veteran players that have played the position in the past? I have been considering moving Eric Chavez back to third base, but I am not sure if I should edit him if I do, especially the arm strength. Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Mr. Rad's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Changing Player Positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
In the past, I would make the player play at least one season primarily at that position before allowing a switch if they have that position listed as a secondary position. If not, then the first year would add the position as a secondary and the second year would change it to primary.
This is exactly what I do. I've also been meaning to start the same thread over here.

I've never added a secondary position, though.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

As long as they are somewhat realistic I don't see the problem.

When I'm in the draft and find a 6' 180 lb first baseman with A potential, I tend to change his primary position to second base or outfield something since you don't see a lot of superstar 1st basemen 6' 180.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Banned

Well the draft is a little different. Lots of players get drafted as one position and change right away or a few years in the system when the more experienced managers find better ways to utilize their talents. I haven't changed any players I have drafted before, but I might consider doing that based on factors like speed, power and defense. There is a prospect I have my eye on for the draft that is a 2B with great power (for a prospect) but low speed and defense. I may convert him to another position right away.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I only ever change a primary positions if I am "converting" a SP to a RP, or a RP to a CP.

Actually, I have changed an Outfielders primary position (RF to LF), but that's it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_fathom
I only ever change a primary positions if I am "converting" a SP to a RP, or a RP to a CP.

Actually, I have changed an Outfielders primary position (RF to LF), but that's it.
In that case, how do you go about changing your pitchers? Do you adjust their stamina? I know it shouldn't matter for swapping between RP and CP, but what about for SP? What kind of formula would you use for that?

I really wish that there was no such thing as SP, RP and CP on this game, and that where you put them would determine what they are. Most pitchers drafted are SP in either high school or college, but only playing in the minors will one be able to assess whether they are a reliever or starter. I would love to be able to draft a low stamina pitcher and try to bring him up to a starter, or the reverse in drafting what I hoped would be a starter, but never develops in anothing more than a middle reliever.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I usually change all drafted pitchers to RP to start their career, unless their stamina is already like 95 or something. Then through performance before the MilB All Star games, i'll change the guy who is actually closing the games to CP so he gets All Star consideration. After their 1st year I usually have an idea if they will make a better starter or releiver and edit their position accordingly.

As for position players, I look at several things: for "real" players, I look up what positions they may have played in the minors as well as the Majors. For drafted playeys I usually look at their skills and attributes and assign them a primary or secondary position accordingly. It makes no sense to have roster logjams by making a speed/ reaction guy play 1B or a slow guy into a CF.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperz
I usually change all drafted pitchers to RP to start their career, unless their stamina is already like 95 or something. Then through performance before the MilB All Star games, i'll change the guy who is actually closing the games to CP so he gets All Star consideration. After their 1st year I usually have an idea if they will make a better starter or releiver and edit their position accordingly.

As for position players, I look at several things: for "real" players, I look up what positions they may have played in the minors as well as the Majors. For drafted playeys I usually look at their skills and attributes and assign them a primary or secondary position accordingly. It makes no sense to have roster logjams by making a speed/ reaction guy play 1B or a slow guy into a CF.
That's a great idea. I think I will follow your lead, next year though as I do not plan on drafting any pitchers this year. How do you handle what positions your pitchers will play, i.e. which do you put as your starters, long relievers, middle relievers, setup me, and closers? So if you draft a pitcher, where will you put him at first? And then how do you decide where he goes from there?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »