Home

MLB 12 The Show Video - Exclusive Look at Diamond Dynasty (GameTrailers)

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Video - Exclusive Look at Diamond Dynasty (GameTrailers) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #41
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 12 The Show Video - Exclusive Look at Diamond Dynasty (GameTrailers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
It's probably because "new and improved franchise mode" doesn't sell as well as a "brand new custom made Diamond Dynasty." Besides this, there have been improvements made to franchise mode as stated by the dev day guys.
I bet this is partly the reason... but a lot of the work put into making DD into fruition perhaps can be transferred to the "regular" franchise mode, so I suspect this isn't an all-or-nothing affair.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #42
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Serious question and not meant to be critical, but why put years (according to Ramone) of effort into a separate mode to develop players, create teams, etc when many of us have been asking for this type of depth and integration into franchise mode?

It's not to say this mode won't be good on its own merit, but it seems it could hit more gamers and have more longevity as a group of features that could be used through various modes rather than a standalone mode. I guess I'm wondering what, in the view of SCEA, is the desired endgame for DD?
I have a feeling that this is just step one to introduce it...next year when they are overhauling Franchise mode I can see an expansion team mode (since the leagues will have 15 teams a piece it would make it easy to do schedule wise) or even just a create a team mode where we can do our own custom season/franchise.

In my mind this is just them dipping their toes into the water.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
It's probably because "new and improved franchise mode" doesn't sell as well as a "brand new custom made Diamond Dynasty." Besides this, there have been improvements made to franchise mode as stated by the dev day guys.
Yeah, I'd imagine "Brand New Create-a-Team" comes to about the same thing too though, in terms of attention grabbing, but I highly doubt SCEA's primary reasoning is simply bullet points for the back of the box. They plan very well (as evidenced by them taking a few years to think about this before implementing it), so I'm sure they have a long term goal with it...which is why I was curious as to what that might be (since Knight mentioned depth and shaping it in the future, etc that got me thinking about how the mode would shape up over the years).

As for franchise mode improvements, I'm aware and looking forward to them, though that's a separate topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
I have a feeling that this is just step one to introduce it...next year when they are overhauling Franchise mode I can see an expansion team mode (since the leagues will have 15 teams a piece it would make it easy to do schedule wise) or even just a create a team mode where we can do our own custom season/franchise.

In my mind this is just them dipping their toes into the water.
Well, I'd be careful with expectations of them overhauling franchise mode next year. I don't believe they've ever said that. I know Knight and others have intimated it will be a focus, but people seem to read too much into that stuff. Not getting on you or anything (so please don't take it that way )...just pointing that out as people sometimes get their hopes up based on promises never made (it happened this year, in fact).

You may be right on implementation of Create-a-Team next year (I hope for this as well and think it's a plausible "next step" of sorts). I see a lot of people guessing things like this, and it makes perfect sense.

I guess I'm wondering though, beyond what it can (and hopefully does) mean for other modes in the future, what the long term hope is for DD as its own mode. Like I said in my other response, Knight's comment got me thinking about it. It seems a lot of people are looking at DD as a means to an end when it seems (from comments by CD guys and devs) like it was designed to be more than that. I'm just curious to see how it will aim to hold attention on it's own long term. I'm also curious as to how the focus will work when split between 4 dedicated progressive modes of play vs the 3 we are used to (Online Leagues, Franchise/Season, RTTS).

I guess it will be easier to understand (and perhaps speculate) when we see the blog on it and/or try it for ourselves though.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 02-10-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: clarified...
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #44
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Serious question and not meant to be critical, but why put years (according to Ramone) of effort into a separate mode to develop players, create teams, etc when many of us have been asking for this type of depth and integration into franchise mode?

It's not to say this mode won't be good on its own merit, but it seems it could hit more gamers and have more longevity as a group of features that could be used through various modes rather than a standalone mode. I guess I'm wondering what, in the view of SCEA, is the desired endgame for DD?
Like I said...they haven't actually been WORKING on it for years.....

I think what Ramone meant was...
Inception: Someone said..."you know what would be a great addition...XXXXXX XXXX ...XXX"
Things were discussed and ideas fleshed out with a lot of going back and forth with discussions for quite some time now.
I don't think any effort as far as DEVELOPING....writing this section of the game actually happened until this year.
I just think they have the opinion that developing this mode was important to further the brand....and the time was right.
Hopefully we see some crossover from this and custom online league into franchise mode.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #45
Pro

Knight or any of the community day guys,

Since you guys can't yet provide much info on this mode, I am just wondering if you think DD will be your go to mode, or will you still focus mainly on what ever mode you played most in the past. DD has really peaked my interest, but I'm struggling to think that my Tigers franchise addiction could take a back seat to DD.

In other words do you see yourself playing DD more than your preferred mode from the past?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #46
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis135
Knight or any of the community day guys,

Since you guys can't yet provide much info on this mode, I am just wondering if you think DD will be your go to mode, or will you still focus mainly on what ever mode you played most in the past. DD has really peaked my interest, but I'm struggling to think that my Tigers franchise addiction could take a back seat to DD.

In other words do you see yourself playing DD more than your preferred mode from the past?
IMO....this is a great little "getaway" from regular franchise....something you can do a little bit at a time in between playing a regular franchise game.
Not a total replacement(but it can be.....the amount of games you want to put into it is totally up to you)
I can see it being addicting to certain types of players though.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #47
Pro

Thanks Knight, kinda what I was thinking. Sounds like a fun mode, but I'll probably use it like I do Road to the Show, just a little break from my Franchise. I will for sure be playing around with it until O.S. full minors comes out. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #48
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

Quote:
Well, I'd be careful with expectations of them overhauling franchise mode next year. I don't believe they've ever said that. I know Knight and others have intimated it will be a focus, but people seem to read too much into that stuff. Not getting on you or anything (so please don't take it that way )...just pointing that out as people sometimes get their hopes up based on promises never made (it happened this year, in fact).

You may be right on implementation of Create-a-Team next year (I hope for this as well and think it's a plausible "next step" of sorts). I see a lot of people guessing things like this, and it makes perfect sense.

I guess I'm wondering though, beyond what it can (and hopefully does) mean for other modes in the future, what the long term hope is for DD as its own mode. Like I said in my other response, Knight's comment got me thinking about it. It seems a lot of people are looking at DD as a means to an end when it seems (from comments by CD guys and devs) like it was designed to be more than that. I'm just curious to see how it will aim to hold attention on it's own long term. I'm also curious as to how the focus will work when split between 4 dedicated progressive modes of play vs the 3 we are used to (Online Leagues, Franchise/Season, RTTS).

I guess it will be easier to understand (and perhaps speculate) when we see the blog on it and/or try it for ourselves though.
I think its safe to say Franchise (and also RTTS since they share engines) will get its fair share of TLC next year. Maybe not a create mode but I believe a direct quote from Ramone was that the Vita version prevented them from doing Franchise overhaul/rewrite and Realistic/3D Grass this year. That in my mind means that they were discussing it and it is in their plans but due to the Vita, they can't do it.

The Vita version is built and will merely get "updated" in the same manner that the PS3 version is now (note I'm not saying the new games are mere updates but they use the same base code), so it would lead me to believe that next year would be the year of Franchise updates.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »