Home

Scouting Tips

This is a discussion on Scouting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11
Scouting Tips

I'm running a single team franchise and I'm playing in Manage mode. So I want to make sure I find good talent. One problem I've had is in franchise mode you don't get to see their potential unless you've scouted the player. I've hired scouts and put it on auto but when I go to draft the top players on the board haven't been scouted and I'm drafting blindly. Is there a better way to go about this than I'm doing it? How do people scout and get prepared for the June draft?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Scouting Tips

I personally switched over to manually scouting but here's the 2 options I'd recommend.

If you don't want to hand pick who your scouts are looking at, then let them scout the players they wish to. HOWEVER, you need to check back in like 1 or 2 times a week because the scout unlocks 1 category every now n then. If you leave the scout to do his work his way he scouts the player to his entirety (aka unlocking every category) when all that really matters most of the time is potential.

Basically you just check back every now and again to see if the potential is unlocked. If it is you swap the scout to another player.

Option 2:

Same as above only you choose the players to scout. I recommend this because the scouts have a tendency to scout a helluva lot of relief pitchers.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

I always did it like this-scout position players until the June draft 18 and over, check to see how much has been scouted every 3-4 days. Scout until potential has been revealed, then move on to the next player.

Doing it like that, you can cover most of the position players before the June draft,and be in a good position to cover most of the pitchers by the end of the next year.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

Thanks, I think I'll do it manually

Does it matter what the scouts strengths are? For example, if I have a scout who is good at spotting infielders but there is a SP I want scouted in the western region, will I get a good scouting report on that player?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
Thanks, I think I'll do it manually

Does it matter what the scouts strengths are? For example, if I have a scout who is good at spotting infielders but there is a SP I want scouted in the western region, will I get a good scouting report on that player?
Yes, I believe so. But it takes FOREVER to get the info. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I only scout my scout's strengths. Of course I hired the very best scouts available. But still...

Oh..once potential is unlocked, move on to the next player. Check every few days, max.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
I always did it like this-scout position players until the June draft 18 and over, check to see how much has been scouted every 3-4 days. Scout until potential has been revealed, then move on to the next player.

Doing it like that, you can cover most of the position players before the June draft,and be in a good position to cover most of the pitchers by the end of the next year.
Just finished the draft in my Orioles franchise. I play every game so I'm just now getting around to it. I ended up with only 3 draft picks. I guess I better stop forfeiting picks to sign type A and B Free Agents. Anyway I ended up with the 3rd pick in the draft and came away with a 18 year old B potential 3rd baseman. He was the top 3rd base prospect in the region and one of the top prospects on the board. Came back a couple of rounds later and grabbed 18 year old B potential 2nd baseman and with my last pick I ended up with a 20 year old D potential 1st baseman.

My question now is do I keep scouting to the end of the year? It sounds like I do but I'm a little confused because the players I drafted are still on the board to be scouted as are other players I have already scouted that should have been drafted by another team. Just not sure how I go about from June to the end of the year.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Banned

msuboy11's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
Just finished the draft in my Orioles franchise. I play every game so I'm just now getting around to it. I ended up with only 3 draft picks. I guess I better stop forfeiting picks to sign type A and B Free Agents. Anyway I ended up with the 3rd pick in the draft and came away with a 18 year old B potential 3rd baseman. He was the top 3rd base prospect in the region and one of the top prospects on the board. Came back a couple of rounds later and grabbed 18 year old B potential 2nd baseman and with my last pick I ended up with a 20 year old D potential 1st baseman.

My question now is do I keep scouting to the end of the year? It sounds like I do but I'm a little confused because the players I drafted are still on the board to be scouted as are other players I have already scouted that should have been drafted by another team. Just not sure how I go about from June to the end of the year.
Make sure to only scout guys that are 17 after the draft! If they are older, they have been selected already! Go check, and you'll see the players you drafted! Don't know why they aren't taken out, but oh well!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuboy11
Make sure to only scout guys that are 17 after the draft! If they are older, they have been selected already! Go check, and you'll see the players you drafted! Don't know why they aren't taken out, but oh well!
I'm not sure that's completely correct. There were a number of guys over 17 that I scouted in the first year that weren't in the draft.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »