Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #321
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Hi Nomo - you are always someone with whom a sensible discussion can be had, so i ask you...

You dont see a fairly obvious problem with this?

The only problem I have with using this scrennshot is that it does not explain the whole strategy the pitcher was using. I mean the first 2 at bats did the pitcher record and out and then a hit on the 3rd? Then he threw one out of the zone that you chased. Next batter he threw in the zone for another strike and then you hit another ball but then the CPU got you out 4 more times. Those seem like legit numbers. One thing to remember that many people forget is that the CPU, just like the user, faces 9 different batters the first time through the lineup. I don't believe it is programmed to realize that the user controls all 9 players and then they look at the tendency of batters faster and change according to what goes on. And, you chased 2 for sure balls and 1 that may have been a ball, so the 92% strike rate is misleading. If you layoff those 2 pitches it gets down to 77% which is better.

What I would like to see, since I haven't tested myself, is what does it look like for individual batters. Did the CPU groove the first pitches of each at bat to David Ortiz, and how did he handle them. If the CPU grooved the first pitch of 3 at bats to Ortiz and he hit 3 homeruns, then I would worry.

One more thing to consider about RTTS is that if you have watched AA or AAA ball, those pitchers are trying to throw strikes. No necessarily groove pitches, but throw strikes. Many Major LEague teams want pitchers that throw strikes, they can work on placement as they progress. If you don't believe me, look at how many minor leaguers hit .350 and higher in AA, but barely hit .270 in the Majors. More strikes to hit in the minors.

Now I am not saying there isn't an issue, but I think more tests need to be done and situations need to be explained better before we call for action.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #322
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
The only problem I have with using this scrennshot is that it does not explain the whole strategy the pitcher was using. I mean the first 2 at bats did the pitcher record and out and then a hit on the 3rd? Then he threw one out of the zone that you chased. Next batter he threw in the zone for another strike and then you hit another ball but then the CPU got you out 4 more times. Those seem like legit numbers. One thing to remember that many people forget is that the CPU, just like the user, faces 9 different batters the first time through the lineup. I don't believe it is programmed to realize that the user controls all 9 players and then they look at the tendency of batters faster and change according to what goes on. And, you chased 2 for sure balls and 1 that may have been a ball, so the 92% strike rate is misleading. If you layoff those 2 pitches it gets down to 77% which is better.

What I would like to see, since I haven't tested myself, is what does it look like for individual batters. Did the CPU groove the first pitches of each at bat to David Ortiz, and how did he handle them. If the CPU grooved the first pitch of 3 at bats to Ortiz and he hit 3 homeruns, then I would worry.

One more thing to consider about RTTS is that if you have watched AA or AAA ball, those pitchers are trying to throw strikes. No necessarily groove pitches, but throw strikes. Many Major LEague teams want pitchers that throw strikes, they can work on placement as they progress. If you don't believe me, look at how many minor leaguers hit .350 and higher in AA, but barely hit .270 in the Majors. More strikes to hit in the minors.

Now I am not saying there isn't an issue, but I think more tests need to be done and situations need to be explained better before we call for action.
The problem is the pitcher analysis is showing more pitches than he faced. I'll post mine up in a minute. I faced 9 pitches (one to start each inning) then i would sim until the next inning. The game shows 11 pitches. Why i don't know, maybe it finishes that ABs as counting you facing it.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #323
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
As far as RTTS is concerned, it sounds like someone needs to crank up the difficulty to Legend and test out the issues being discussed. If it's still happening, test out some slider shifts. If this cant' be corrected on the hardest difficulty then there is nothing we can do as the consumer to customize or modify our experience. At that point, then it becomes an issue that should be passed on to the men behind the curtain.
Agree. I see you live in the same land of 10,000 lakes as I do. Not sure if this snow will be removed for that home opener against Detroit.

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers
NFL: Green Bay Packers
CFB: Minnesota Gophers
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #324
All Star

I attached my latest all-star exhibition, first pitch of inning only results below. 11 pitches are shown as faced. I didn't hit the double or the DP (clearly since i lead-off the inning). So the rest are from the 9 pitches i have seen. Like i have said before, i do not know why the extra pitches are there. Based on the DP, i assume the next hitter first pitch must be counting sometimes. Every pitch was the pitchers #1 pitch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0276.jpg (499.9 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by dkrause1971; 03-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #325
All Star

Two more games on All star default, exhibition. Same two teams in both. Again 11 pitches when i only faced 9 per game.

In the first picture. The ball thrown in the picture actually did happen to me. I am not sure which two of the pitches were the ones i didn't face. They are all kinda the same. In the second picture i clearly didn't have the double play since its the first pitch of the inning, the other pitch i didn't face i am not sure.

What you are seeing in these three photos (another one is a post back) is basically what i see every game on the first pitch of an inning (exhibition). They are not all meatballs, but just about all of them are middle area strikes. They just about always are the pitchers #1 pitch as well. I do not see this happening to this rate other than this situation.

I have deleted my user settings and recreated them. I am using the download version of the game, i am using a custom batting view (I have tried other default views), feedback off, strike zone off. I'll post whatever other settings would differ if asked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0283.jpg (483.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0280.jpg (495.9 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by dkrause1971; 03-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #326
All Star

Two games on legend, exhibition. Generally the same problem, first pitch is the pitchers #1 at a very high rate, high strike rate, but more variety where in the zone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0285.jpg (572.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0287.jpg (558.7 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by dkrause1971; 03-08-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #327
Rookie

OVR: 0

so is everyone who is experiencing this "bug" winning every game 20-4 or something? i've played 5 games and they've all been rather modest affairs in the 4-3 vain, so if this is a bug it sure doesn't bother me and i'm having fun, enjoyable, close games.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #328
Rookie

theSmilingAssassin27's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
This thread is a jumbled mess of RTTS and Exhibition people talking over each other with other posters jumping in with no evidence, poor evidence, or evidence that doesn't fit the situation.
You got that right, and maybe the thread title has a lot to do with it. To me, this discussion is more about an unusually high strike % in certain situations, and not so much about "meatballs."

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »