Home

Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

This is a discussion on Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Press Row Podcast - Hands-on with MLB 14 The Show and More

For someone who has never owned the show before and will be buying it for the first time on PS4, it seems like the devs really make an effort to stay in touch with the community. That is something I don't see with many other sports games. Not to say doesn't happen at all but I see a lot of posts from SCEA guys on these forums. That is definitely something not to be taken for granted. Thanks for all the feedback. can't wait till May!
8 GB Kingston RAM
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgrisham
Hi guys - Rich here.

I am really bummed that so many of you are disappointed in the episode. Any and all issues with the show's content are my fault and responsibility.

No one other than Samit has seen the game, and he had just seen it. I actually had no intention of discussing it until the last minute, so I put Samit on the spot right before we started recording. It's extremely difficult for those of us who haven't seen it to speak to it, and in hindsight it was not the right forum for discussion.

What I should have done is not mention it until the next episode, when most of us will have had hands-on time with it. I thought it would be fun to kick around for a bit, even though what Samit had seen was a preliminary build. I also cut off the discussion quickly, so that's also me.

Looking back and considering the community's desire for any and all details, it was a poor decision by me to have this chat. It put all of us in a less-than-optimal place.

Lesson learned!

I put a lot of effort into making Press Row unique for people who love sports games, and it really bums me out when people are disappointed. I'll keep working to make it a better show.
Rich,
You run the best sports gaming podcast in the world. I've been listening since last summer. Just wanted to let you know! And thanks for doing what you do!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #35
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
Man, he was hard to listen to.

edit: If indeed he was a big baseball fan he would have jumped at the chance to try the game out, who here would just sit and watch when all you had to do was ask to try it.
no kidding cover sports game and dont jump at the chance to play wth
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #36
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
Wow these guys (and gal) were hard to listen too, I nearly fell asleep. The only thing that kept me awake was info about The Show...

Love what RTTS is gonna be now, I really didnt like the goals or filling up that little blue bar thing... Now it will be more realistic in the way that you are basically in competition with your own organization mates. You have to beat out the guy infront of you on the depth chart to get his spot and vise versa.
Also, now there's a tryout at the beginning THEN the draft, I was unaware of this and am now more EXCITED! (if its possible)
I did fall asleep.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #37
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by munky1307
For someone who has never owned the show before and will be buying it for the first time on PS4, it seems like the devs really make an effort to stay in touch with the community. That is something I don't see with many other sports games. Not to say doesn't happen at all but I see a lot of posts from SCEA guys on these forums. That is definitely something not to be taken for granted. Thanks for all the feedback. can't wait till May!
You're absolutely right. It's what makes them the best in the business.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #38
Rookie

Teigh Cubs Teigh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
For some reason I can't like posts anymore, but thanks Kirby! Keep on doing what you do. Can't come out soon enough.
It seems that I can't like any posts either. Does anybody have any idea why?

Also thanks to Rich for explaining why the Podcast seemed a little iffy. It wasn't bad by any stretch (and to be fair I only listened to the part about The Show) and I have certainly heard much worse podcasts. Don't worry about it. It sounded unprepared and I guess for good reason.

Just for your honesty in admitting that that bit was unprepared and rushed I'll give you guys a listen. I appreciate the honesty even though I didn't think the quality was too bad and don't feel any explanation was really owed. Thanks for getting some second-hand information to us as quickly as possible and I'll be listening for more.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #39
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I had no problem with this podcast. It was nice. I liked the "discussion to content" ratio, more specifically. If I want all content and little commentary with it, I'll read an article or watch a video.

If their next podcast has a lot more content, then I hope it's a two-hour segment on MLB The Show. I hope that makes sense.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgrisham
Hi guys - Rich here.

I am really bummed that so many of you are disappointed in the episode. Any and all issues with the show's content are my fault and responsibility.

No one other than Samit has seen the game, and he had just seen it. I actually had no intention of discussing it until the last minute, so I put Samit on the spot right before we started recording. It's extremely difficult for those of us who haven't seen it to speak to it, and in hindsight it was not the right forum for discussion.

What I should have done is not mention it until the next episode, when most of us will have had hands-on time with it. I thought it would be fun to kick around for a bit, even though what Samit had seen was a preliminary build. I also cut off the discussion quickly, so that's also me.

Looking back and considering the community's desire for any and all details, it was a poor decision by me to have this chat. It put all of us in a less-than-optimal place.

Lesson learned!

I put a lot of effort into making Press Row unique for people who love sports games, and it really bums me out when people are disappointed. I'll keep working to make it a better show.
Perhaps a different way to approach early, exclusive access to a game like this would be to arrive with a list of new features and then to look at those new features and inform the listener or reader about those features.

For example:

• New player search function - an explanation of how this function works and what parameters can be searched might have been informative.

• New player generation feature - a look at rosters in franchise mode to see what has changed about generated players might have been informative.

• New baserunning paradigm- an explanation of what has changed regarding baserunning might have been informative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »