Home

OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers)

This is a discussion on OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers) within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #33
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
By using the WIP roster and the players in it, the info is very accurate. These CAPs have been vetted several times and should not be an issue, but you will want to add +1 to their ages from the WIP roster before sending your team osfm set to Willard.

But, let me just stress that it's really important to double check the vitals for any new CAPs being added. Last year before the Hybrid roster was released, we corrected reams and reams and reams of errors from OSFM v2 (our google doc for just typographical error fixes was literally 10 pages long). For example, not to pick on anyone, but Jorge Soler was listed as 25 years old instead of 22 (which he was at the time). There were hundreds of errors like this spread among all teams.

Please make an effort to ensure that you have the correct spelling of names, the proper ht/wt (preferably from Baseball Reference), the correct positions, throwing handedness, and batting handedness. Errors are inevitable in a project this large, but a little more attention to detail will go a long way toward making sure the set is accurate.

As for less important things, most people don't want players to have audio names that aren't spot on. So "Broxton" for Byron Buxton's audio last name is frowned upon.

EDIT: And as for doing the age of new CAPs, the idea is to use 6/30 as the cutoff date. So if a guy turns 24 this year and his birthday is in March, he'd be 24 in the set. If a guy turns 24 this year and his birthday is in October, then he should be 23 in the set.

What he said.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #34
MVP

Willard76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree3five
I agree with this. I want to get these done ASAP, however even a day or two more would go a long way and not feel rushed.

Guys, if you are a day or 2 behind send myself or Ridin a PM. We all have lives. The point is we will not be chasing guys around for rosters this year. Aim for the cutoff, if u don't get there Sunday morning send a PM. A handful of teams won't kill us after Sunday. 20 teams will.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #35
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeds
We need to get on the same page here. We ran our tests for 600 PA's. Why 650?
Its what the game and Knight's original charts are set at. I've also confirmed it with Nomo who confirmed it with one of the devs IIRC (I'd have to check my inbox but its definitely 650 PA's).

And for determining the age of players, the cutoff date is the day rosters are locked, which is March 1.

Last edited by seanjeezy; 03-29-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Its what the game and Knight's original charts are set at. I've also confirmed it with Nomo who confirmed it with one of the devs IIRC (I'd have to check my inbox but its definitely 650 PA's).

And for determining the age of players, the cutoff date is the day rosters are locked, which is March 1.
Yes, but the sim stats no longer jive with the ratings charts as we've come to find out.

Have you checked the zips updates for the Mariners on the spreadsheet? I'm interested in knowing how our ratings might differ.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #37
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy

Or you could just use the spreadsheet for ratings as we are tying to encourage people to do. If you feel that any of the ratings for the Mariners are inaccurate, we'd love to hear about it.

This is incorrect. If you notice when the players age, they all age right as you click on "advance to offseason" which is the end of October/beginning of November. It's important to use 1 cutoff date for everyone. It would make the most sense to use Oct 31 as the cutoff date. We had been using 6/30 in the past.
Responses in bold.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76
Guys, if you are a day or 2 behind send myself or Ridin a PM. We all have lives. The point is we will not be chasing guys around for rosters this year. Aim for the cutoff, if u don't get there Sunday morning send a PM. A handful of teams won't kill us after Sunday. 20 teams will.
Sure, that sounds good. It's not like we're not going to try to get them done as quickly as possible anyway, I just want to make sure we give you best roster possible.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #39
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeds
Yes, but the sim stats no longer jive with the ratings charts as we've come to find out.

Have you checked the zips updates for the Mariners on the spreadsheet? I'm interested in knowing how our ratings might differ.
Well the fact that you guys were using 600 PA's skews things a little, that's potentially 2-3 less HR's. Its also less K's and BB's, so for example Adam Jones gets a +6 boost to vision over last year's stock ratings, despite being projected nearly identical K%. Also, the only ratings spreadsheet I have seen is the one with the updated pitching ratings, so I can't really compare the hitters ratings on the hybrid spreadsheet, unless the hitter ratings haven't changed.

Isn't the initial set using the default out of the box ratings for MLB players? I still don't know why you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to ratings, wouldn't it be better to keep things as close to default as possible? In the long run isn't it better to find out why the default ratings are what they are instead of coming up with something completely different?

Also, I'm still not even 100% sure of your methodology, were all of the changes arbitrarily made based on sim stats? What happens when the league is heavily populated with drafted players who don't adhere to your ratings scale? What about actual games?

I guess its too late now, but I'll be sticking to V1 so I don't really mind all that much. I have the utmost respect for what you and Willard are doing since you guys have been super accepting of new ideas and suggestions. This is my fourth go with the OSFM team so I thought I would have more clout around here, but if I'm told one more time by a certain cubs fan to check my facts then this might be my last. Seriously dude, you're starting to piss me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Responses in bold.
The Mariners ratings have nothing to do with this, but thanks for your concern.

Re: the cutoff date, trust me dude, its March 1. Dustin Ackley's birthday is Feb 26, he was 26 in MLB 14. Bud Norris' birthday is Mar 2, he was 28 in MLB 14 despite being 29 for the whole season. Ergo, Feb 28/March 1 cutoff date.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #40
MVP

Willard76's Arena

I think Seanjeezy is correct on the cutoff date for age.

I will say I find the ratings WTNY has come up with do play slightly better in games than what we have done in the past which was 650 - I have tested them out myself. We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. We came up with a system that would create cohesiveness and continuity throughout the roster - something the OSFM never had really because everyone was doing their own thing, some didn't even use Knights charts.

As for the inflated draft picks, whether we do this or not they are always an issue in future seasons regardless of ratings system.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »