Home

Suggestion for Roster guys...

This is a discussion on Suggestion for Roster guys... within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Suggestion for Roster guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfire2001
Hey thanks WTNY, for your inputs on that, for me I am into making historical rosters and download JTommy calculated and they look great so far, have only done one team, it was just an idea that was floating around cause I talk a lot to these kids today with YouTube channels and twitch channels and all they do is making videos of then doing nothing..lol..anyway I just figured I ask around to see if some one on here would just make a quick video on what they use and how to go about it...but trust me after 20 years in the military I know all about trail and error and asking the studio questions...
I see you have found the RBU editor. I havent really did any historical rosters since being on the show since 2011, but I do opening day rosters fir the current season. I think im pretty knowledgeable about baseball in general as all my friends joke and kid around and call me Rosterguru.

Anyways if I can answer any questions you might have on how to do this or do that, or what website do I find this or I find that etc ...etc... I don't mind trying to pass on the knowledge or the tools I use to build rosters.

I think it's great you came to OS and wanted to learn from all of us how it's actually done. Some people take things to personal and to the grave with them!! LOL never willing, wanting to help or to explain or even share how they came up with there ratings. It's not like anyone is asking for the passcode to there bank account LMAO!!

I dont mind sharing or trying to help because I was once in your shoes many, many years ago.

I am currently working on my 2017 Opening Day Set, but will take a break here and there and check things out on here so if you aks some questions I will to the best of my ability try to answer everything.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Suggestion for Roster guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfire2001
Hey thanks WTNY, for your inputs on that, for me I am into making historical rosters and download JTommy calculated and they look great so far, have only done one team, it was just an idea that was floating around cause I talk a lot to these kids today with YouTube channels and twitch channels and all they do is making videos of then doing nothing..lol..anyway I just figured I ask around to see if some one on here would just make a quick video on what they use and how to go about it...but trust me after 20 years in the military I know all about trail and error and asking the studio questions...
Yeah, no worries. It does no harm to ask. My post was more to the effect of trying to explain why there isn't a complete "roster making manual" out there and no YouTubers out there who just upload videos of making rosters. The YouTubers only do what they do to monetize views and subscriptions--a roster guy would have a harder time getting people to watch him edit. lol

Making rosters seems like a trade secret mainly because people who make rosters don't have time to explain their methodology and reasoning patiently to people. They are either working on rosters or playing the actual game. I consider myself as one of those who lacks patience to do this regularly although I will pop in to answer a question from time to time.

There are also others out there lurking--closer than you think--who have made a "living" ripping other people's work and passing it off as their own. This has happened many times and it's easy to spot when your work has been pirated. Some guys ceremoniously take credit for entire rosters that have been ripped off from other people. Happens far too often and this is another reason people don't share as openly as they otherwise might. I don't want some two-bit yokel (lol, been waiting to use that) taking credit for hundreds of hours of my work and making a big deal about the great masterpiece that he created! Yikes. I imagine other people feel similarly to me. Couldn't care less how others view that--as "taking things too seriously" or whatever.

EDIT: I will say, echoing a previous post, that if people can turn this thread into a Q&A sesh for general roster questions, that could be useful. And perhaps in time a thread like this will grow to approximate an "instruction manual" for roster making without one person needing to be the zen guru.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 04-24-2017 at 08:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »