Home

Should I go with real contracts or default contracts for my franchise roster?

This is a discussion on Should I go with real contracts or default contracts for my franchise roster? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
Rookie

soamazen23's Arena

OVR: 0
Should I go with real contracts or default contracts for my franchise roster?

Hey guys,

I started a franchise in 17 and carried over to 18. But I lost my data and I am now starting over. I was wondering if I should download a roster with real contracts or defaults. Im leaning towards real contracts but to those guys deep into their franchises how does using real contract effect the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Should I go with real contracts or default contracts for my franchise roster?

The general consensus around here is default contracts because of the morale system and trade/budget logic used by the CPU.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
MVP

redsoxfan31's Arena

Re: Should I go with real contracts or default contracts for my franchise roster?

It truly depends on how you play franchise, if you play 30-team control (which is very easy to set up) then trading and budgeting isn't too much of an issue because any outrageous issues that uprise you can go back and override. The morale system is dumb as is and there's no guarantee the players will be "happy" with their default contracts over their real life contract, especially given that many real life contracts are higher than the game's default contract.
NBA: BOSTON CELTICS
NFL: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
NHL: BOSTON BRUINS

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Old 07-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Rookie

bravesfan led the Hybrid Roster team and released the roster with default contracts and redsoxfan used the Hybrid as a base and released a version with real contracts. So you can’t really ask for better opinions than theirs.

I’ll echo what both said... real contracts does mess with the CPU trade logic and also the CPU will not offer enough money to mid-level players (eg Tyler Chatwood would have been offered 12-15mil over three years instead of, what, $38mil?). It also affects the morale system in both directions.

But the CPU trade and free agent logic are crap anyways, and the contract part of the morale system is broken no matter what contracts you use.

The only way to get realistic trades and signings is to use 30 team control and make most moves yourself. If you’re doing that, real contracts makes sense. It makes it easier for you to help teams make trades and realistic offers in the off-season as you can calculate player value based on real stats and real money.

2018 is the first year I have turned budgets off and I haven’t noticed a difference yet. Having them on can only cause problems... but I’m running all teams off-season moves so I’ll make sure everything stays realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm in the 2019 season of my franchise, using real contracts, edited for all players making more than 400k per season. I do not control all 30 teams because that holds no appeal to me. The GM aspect of the game is huge for me, and I want to compete vs the CPU.

Real contracts do create morale issues, but most of them can be overcome. I have multiple players on my team who are in the RED with long term deals, but they're still in the positive overall with morale. I don't stress about that part.

I'm experiencing frustrations in the offseasons though, because the game will not let me spend anywhere close to my budget in free agency. Still trying to figure that part out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I'm in the 2019 season of my franchise, using real contracts, edited for all players making more than 400k per season. I do not control all 30 teams because that holds no appeal to me. The GM aspect of the game is huge for me, and I want to compete vs the CPU.

Real contracts do create morale issues, but most of them can be overcome. I have multiple players on my team who are in the RED with long term deals, but they're still in the positive overall with morale. I don't stress about that part.

I'm experiencing frustrations in the offseasons though, because the game will not let me spend anywhere close to my budget in free agency. Still trying to figure that part out.

The game's system is just not built to handle anything but default contracts. It can be mitigated somewhat with 30 team control, but still results in issues and lots of workarounds/extra work. It's definitely a no-go with single team franchises like you're using.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
The game's system is just not built to handle anything but default contracts. It can be mitigated somewhat with 30 team control, but still results in issues and lots of workarounds/extra work. It's definitely a no-go with single team franchises like you're using.
Its weird, because I didn't have any issues with this, playing multiple seasons over several years with 16. Was I just lucky in that? Or did that change the way the game works a lot for 18?

Either way, I'm now on July 1st, 2019, playing every game in this franchise, and I'm not stopping. I'll find a workaround and make it work my way. Avoiding having players in arbitration, especially the final year, seems to be very important.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »