Home

not walking anyone

This is a discussion on not walking anyone within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: not walking anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Have you thought about upping the difficulty? Or at the very least, upping the CPU's ability to hit (which can also be done by not only raising CPU hitting sliders, but dropping Human Control)?

You'd be surprised how often walks occur not because the pitcher can't throw a strike (have you ever seen MLB strike frequency percentages on 3-0 counts), but because the pitcher fears the hitter and pitches carefully.

I'd hedge all my bets that if the CPU was regularly whooping you, you'd walk more guys due to various factors.

Could you share your Difficulty/Sliders/Pitching stats?
I was literally just about to say this. Well... bye...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #10
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Defintely Hall of Fame. I'm getting solid results which are both realistic and frustrating at times.

Check out my sliders in my signature and tweak away if need be.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Disclosures: Classic pitching; I play every game; I do not use Quick-Counts and that is not an acceptable solution.

--------

Haven't had an issue with this for the past couple years but it seems to be back. 52 games played and I've allowed 60 walks, next closest team has 107. I could literally walk the next 46 batters I face and I'd still be best in the league.

It's a weird problem because it's not like I want to walk people, but I don't know what I can do short of turning every pitch into a dice roll and completely crippling my ability to be accurate. Even then, I played my last game with pitcher consistency at zero (not fun) and I still only walked one guy, and that came on my starter's last batter faced when he had thrown over 100 pitches.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone putting up decent-to-average BB numbers? What's your secret?

Thanks.
I've had this problem too. It's not like I want to walk but not having that aspect in the game doesn't feel right. Especially when you're pitching with CJ Wilson.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #12
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm experiencing the same thing, which is weird for two reasons. First, like the OP, this hasn't been an issue in years past. Early in my RTTS players' careers, I would be walking a batter almost every other inning on average. And also, on the other side of the ball, I am drawing way more walks than I ever have. As far as addressing the points already made, I play on Hall of Fame and am striking out a ton of batters and not giving up many hits, so nibbling wouldn't even make sense. For what it's worth, those numbers (RTTS, so just my raw pitcher who's control I have not even touched yet) are 109IP, 109K, 19BB, 87H, 2.56ERA

Last edited by metal134; 06-20-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 4

I'm not walking enough either on classic pitching using a+s all star sliders. How can I get more walks?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Put pitcher control and consistency at or close to 0. Nothing else is going to get you even close to realistic results.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #15
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

Its just one of those things about the game where its impossible to give a correct answer because its all user dependent. I get behind 2-0 and 3-1 plenty on classic HOF, but Ill choose to throw one right down the pipe because I know if the ball is put in play the odds of it being an out are greater than it being a hit. I dont walk a lot of guys cuz I choose not to concede a free baserunner. You can lower ctrl/cons to near 0, but then you get frustrated you arent even near your selected location. The only thing you can do is up the difficulty to make you fear the CPU, but at that point CPU hitters are almost too good at making contact and make it impossible to ever have an 8K or even 10K game. Its up to you, but I really dont think there is a solution that will let you have your cake and eat it too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #16
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOfCornCobb
Its just one of those things about the game where its impossible to give a correct answer because its all user dependent. I get behind 2-0 and 3-1 plenty on classic HOF, but Ill choose to throw one right down the pipe because I know if the ball is put in play the odds of it being an out are greater than it being a hit. I dont walk a lot of guys cuz I choose not to concede a free baserunner. You can lower ctrl/cons to near 0, but then you get frustrated you arent even near your selected location. The only thing you can do is up the difficulty to make you fear the CPU, but at that point CPU hitters are almost too good at making contact and make it impossible to ever have an 8K or even 10K game. Its up to you, but I really dont think there is a solution that will let you have your cake and eat it too.
I will politely disagree with a few of these statements. I'm finding I will walk guys and also strikeout batters at a realistic amount (I just had 10 with Price through 7.1 innings in my most recently archived Twitch.tv game). I'm able to hit my spots at a realistic rate as well with some pitches obviously missing the mark at times (I use meter) both in and out of the zone.

This goes as deep as evaluating the batter/pitcher analysis after each game to see how many misses per swing I'm seeing on both sides, the balls to strikes ratio including 1st pitch strikes, and how many balls teams are fouling off. Is it an exact match every game? Of course not. I wouldn't want it to be.

It took me a while to get a slider set that really worked for me, because I agree with you that the game can be stubborn, but it's out there. Don't give up!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »