Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version] within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version]

Most of my slider settings are pretty much in line with either the default "5" setting or in line with recommendations that Nomo17k has made in the past with a few very minor exceptions and I am not seeing really low scoring games as some people have reported. Yes some of the games are low scoring, low offense results. But other games are high scoring. My fielding error slider settings tend to be one or two clicks less than Nomo's. I started my season with "Solid Hitting" at 6 and "Pitcher Control" at 4. But I recently put the "Solid Hits" back to a 5. Oh and I am on April 8th of the Calendar (presently one day ahead of the real world schedule) and every game has either been my MoM game (only 3 MoM games played to date) or a CPU vs CPU game using Fast Play and the majority of those CPU games are using Quick Counts. Now I am not keeping detailed stats like Nomo does and I really don't know how long I can continue playing all the games as CPU vs CPU and still keep up with the real world calendar. But I guess my stats are available if need be. Oh but yeah I am seeing more HRs this year than in past years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
Rookie

Ranger Fan's Arena

OVR: 0

Guys I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have tried your sliders from last year, and yes they played great on MLB 15. This year no offense. I went with another recommendation of upping solid hits to 6. No offense. When I say no offense I mean no offense. In 10 games on MOM I have scored 4 runs one time. Just once. Every other game is something to 2 or 1 or a shutout. One time in 10 games a team had 10 hits in a game. What are you guys doing with solid hit at 5 that produces offense? Even at 6? To me the mode is broke. I can't be the only one seeing this. I have played with the Rangers and used various stadiums against various opponents. In fact I am using default roster and playing the rangers spring training schedule. There is an individual on this forum like Grinder and the other gentleman that posted slider suggestions. Tried them same results. Game is boring and unrealistic when every game is 2-1/ 1-0/ 3-1. I mean come on no variance. I am willing to help and post results, yet if I'm the only one noticing 0 offense I guess it would be pointless. I am trying solid hits at 7 and power at default. We will see
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #27
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

If it is any help my MoM sliders (the ones in my thread which are CLOSE to default) have given me these results for the NL

Runs per game 3.61 (4.24)
BA .247 (.255)
OBP .312 (.317)
SLG .389 (.405)

Side note - one team is hitting .325 with a .491 SLG

rangerfan - in my 9 MoM games
5-1
8-2
5-4
6-3
3-1
5-2
4-3
7-6
1-0

Average 6.66 runs per game below the SIMED 7.22 I have always believed there is a difference between MoM and SIM

Last edited by Grinder12000; 04-07-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpinkster
Those 2 numbers have increased but RBI and total runs remain far too low, is that not a problem if babip is not the culprit?
I try to go with the stats that give me the finest granularity for the effects I am looking for... for example, for adjusting plate discipline, etc., I am looking at "per-pitch" stats like Swing %, Miss %, O-Swing % (how often a ball is chased), etc. For play results effects, I'm looking at per-plate-appearance stats, like BB%, SO%.

I am actually not going by "per-game" stats because extra innings, lack of bot 9th being played can skew results. Theoretically you can get perfectly realistic 4-run per game results, even when every game is 18-innings marathon, with each team hitting exactly 4 HRs but striking out the rest of plate appearances... you know what I mean?

I prefer BABIP because it removes plate discipline factors from evaluating hit results... The premise of BABIP is that once the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand, he doesn't have a whole a lot of control over what happens on the (batted) ball, and therefore a whole a lot of pitchers tend to have their BABIP close to .300 over a long run (there are exceptions). A stable stat like that is a better target than some stats that can change wildly depending on situations and abilities (like SB%).

If all hits are fly balls, the vast majority of them (except HRs) would be caught so BABIP tends to be low... if all hits are grounders, a majority would be caught by infielders but some go through the holes, resulting in a slightly higher BABIP... if all hits are line drives, the majority would be solid hits somewhere, and BABIP tends to be much higher. In that sense, from BABIP we can infer if we are getting realistic hit type fractions (as well as how realistic fielders are playing the batted balls) as well.

All in all, if the game is doing a decent job on per-pitch statistics (which The Show mostly does a fantastic job), the rest of the stats tend to come out very balanced and that's why I am tracking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
I'm sure the designers do not use the stats because the formatting is ludicrous and makes zero sense. Plus one stat is completely wrong BOP is a wrong stat. I've also noticed Pitcher "hitting" stats are wrong.

Thanks Nomo - I'll get back on topic.

What does PITCH SPEED MAX do in a SIM ??? What is your thinking with Maxing that out ??
Not sure what you mean by SIM (as in simming games?), but the only elements that maxing out Pitch Speed sliders affect is the base stealing in CPU vs. CPU games. I prefer to max them out because that settings brings visual speed of pitches close to real-life pitch speed, i.e., 90 MPH on display travels like a real 90 MPH pitch. If you leave that at default, I think 90 MPH pitch actually feels like a high school fastball.

It's purely a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
Most of my slider settings are pretty much in line with either the default "5" setting or in line with recommendations that Nomo17k has made in the past with a few very minor exceptions and I am not seeing really low scoring games as some people have reported. Yes some of the games are low scoring, low offense results. But other games are high scoring. My fielding error slider settings tend to be one or two clicks less than Nomo's. I started my season with "Solid Hitting" at 6 and "Pitcher Control" at 4. But I recently put the "Solid Hits" back to a 5. Oh and I am on April 8th of the Calendar (presently one day ahead of the real world schedule) and every game has either been my MoM game (only 3 MoM games played to date) or a CPU vs CPU game using Fast Play and the majority of those CPU games are using Quick Counts. Now I am not keeping detailed stats like Nomo does and I really don't know how long I can continue playing all the games as CPU vs CPU and still keep up with the real world calendar. But I guess my stats are available if need be. Oh but yeah I am seeing more HRs this year than in past years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Fan
Guys I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have tried your sliders from last year, and yes they played great on MLB 15. This year no offense. I went with another recommendation of upping solid hits to 6. No offense. When I say no offense I mean no offense. In 10 games on MOM I have scored 4 runs one time. Just once. Every other game is something to 2 or 1 or a shutout. One time in 10 games a team had 10 hits in a game. What are you guys doing with solid hit at 5 that produces offense? Even at 6? To me the mode is broke. I can't be the only one seeing this. I have played with the Rangers and used various stadiums against various opponents. In fact I am using default roster and playing the rangers spring training schedule. There is an individual on this forum like Grinder and the other gentleman that posted slider suggestions. Tried them same results. Game is boring and unrealistic when every game is 2-1/ 1-0/ 3-1. I mean come on no variance. I am willing to help and post results, yet if I'm the only one noticing 0 offense I guess it would be pointless. I am trying solid hits at 7 and power at default. We will see

I'm definitely on the side seeing more low-offense games, but there seems people who are not seeing this.

It could be the effect of "small sample" (likely) or perhaps some settings might be affecting how the game plays (like default roster vs. carryover)? Will see once people play more games.

And a slider set from one year tends not to work that well on another year. The game is tuned quite differently each year, so we always kinda have to start from a clean slate.

Last edited by nomo17k; 04-07-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #29
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
If it is any help my MoM sliders (the ones in my thread which are CLOSE to default) have given me these results for the NL

Runs per game 3.61 (4.24)
BA .247 (.255)
OBP .312 (.317)
SLG .389 (.405)

Side note - one team is hitting .325 with a .491 SLG

rangerfan - in my 9 MoM games
5-1
8-2
5-4
6-3
3-1
5-2
4-3
7-6
1-0

Average 6.66 runs per game below the SIMED 7.22 I have always believed there is a difference between MoM and SIM
I don't know what you mean by SIM again, but CPU vs. CPU and MoM should be quite similar, at least they use (mostly) exactly the same game engine.

When you skip games by "simulating" (including Sportscast type of thing), then the game uses an entirely different game engine where most sliders have no effect.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #30
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

My "theory" was that "watching" a game was different then SIMing a game using a different engine but that is probably from long past experience (I actually golfed on a green screen in the olden days).

Legacy Madden SIMed games were not actually played games but some random algorithm to create stats.

To be honest I was alarmed that the stats I was getting after 9 MoM games were not as bad as I imagined. They SEEMED really low but it's still Middle April so . . . . . .

One thing I noticed was that stealing in rain looked like the baserunners were running in mud - they seemed a LOT slower. More errors and BB also but it was only one game.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #31
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
My "theory" was that "watching" a game was different then SIMing a game using a different engine but that is probably from long past experience (I actually golfed on a green screen in the olden days).

Legacy Madden SIMed games were not actually played games but some random algorithm to create stats.

To be honest I was alarmed that the stats I was getting after 9 MoM games were not as bad as I imagined. They SEEMED really low but it's still Middle April so . . . . . .

One thing I noticed was that stealing in rain looked like the baserunners were running in mud - they seemed a LOT slower. More errors and BB also but it was only one game.

I'm afraid most sports games are like that, having two different engines, one for realistic (quasi)physics-based engine to fully simulate the "process" and simulator which really only simulates results (and not the "process" itself). People just want to quickly do away with part of the games that they are not involved, so to speed things up the simulator is used to "pad" realistic results without actually fully playing out the process.

I actually prefer to have an option of playing everything out with the full gameplay engine, and managed to do this last year with MLB 15:

2430 CPU vs. CPU games

When you compare full-season CPU vs. CPU results against what you typically get with simmmed seasons, you definitely notice the differences. But to the game's credit, it's not THAT wildly different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
Rookie

Christian9's Arena

OVR: 6

I was messing around with this, and what I am doing is starting the game and Fast Forwarding to the end. Found that pitch counts while looking at Pitcher Analysis is WAY off. So then tried simming a half inning at a time, but still same issue. The pitch count when looking at Game Log looks right, but not sure what I’m doing wrong to get such conflicting results. Any help would be appreciated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »