Home

Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic

This is a discussion on Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
I said "should".

Stamina, injuries, etc. "should" be universal as long as your goal is to mirror real life.
But how are you attempting to mirror real life?

If a guy goes 6 IP on average, are you getting those the same way? Is it because he burns his pitches? How his manager uses his staff? And so on. If a pitcher gets pulled before he's tired, does that count against him? He could go 8 but gets pulled after 6 because . How do you set the slider, so he can go 8 and you pull him yourself or 6 because "that's how many he goes" even if he could work 8?

Which one is considered as mirroring real life? Replicating production or player skill set and you as manager will have to do the rest (i.e. pull him after 6 like his irl team) in order to replicate his production? The answer to that will determine where you'll bias with your Stamina slider.

And that doesn't even go into how YOU control the pitcher, what level you're on, interface and how good you are with it (which impacts command, which impacts results, which might make pitchers more or less efficient), and so on. Do you as the user mirror your pitcher's irl pitching tendencies and results?

Then, what is the ratings to IP correlation? How many innings should a 70 STA pitcher go? How many pitches? Which do you favor in determining if your Stamina sliders are "correct"? The way you interpret the ratings scale, since we don't have any info from the devs on even what's "average" (or do we?) will influence the sliders based on where you bias the ratings vs performance.

And even beyond that - where you are in franchise, if it's a carryover, what roster set you use, etc.

I'm in 2021. Is a "universal" Stamina slider based on 2015's results going to give me the same mirroring real life with a completely different league ratings landscape 7 years into a franchise carried over from MLB14? Durability ratings are low a lot of times from fictionals as they rise up. But I still want real-life like injury rates - if Durability drops league-wide, I may well see more injuries on the same setting.

It's not going to be universal, even if the goal is the same, because all of those things above won't be universal.

Last edited by KBLover; 04-10-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

I think it's fairly obvious that your Stamina slider is bad if you can't get a guy through 4 innings because he is always exhausted after 70 pitches. It's also obvious that it's bad if you can run him out there for 130 pitches every outing.

A Carry Over Franchise is subject to poor Progression. Of course that would be a factor. If the progression is good though, it wouldn't matter.

If you disagree that there is a base line where certain sliders are most effective, cool. Put your Stamina on 0 or 10 or wherever you like. I couldn't care less.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #11
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Back to Default All Star... It's fantastic

Since I started the thread, I've played numerous other games, or parts of games, and am getting great and varying results, except for the fact that I can't hit.

But, I don't want anyone attacking the slider guys ( even if it's not intended) because, like I said in the original post, I've been following them for years and have had a lot of fun using their sliders.

I was just curious to see how many hard core baseball fans were having success with default.

Edit: I should probably have said that I am playing "play now" games only. It's been said that different modes play differently
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
Since I started the thread, I've played numerous other games, or parts of games, and am getting great and varying results, except for the fact that I can't hit.

But, I don't want anyone attacking the slider guys ( even if it's not intended) because, like I said in the original post, I've been following them for years and have had a lot of fun using their sliders.

I was just curious to see how many hard core baseball fans were having success with default.

Edit: I should probably have said that I am playing "play now" games only. It's been said that different modes play differently
Indeed. Franchise games are subject to hot and cold streaks. That changes things. And of course the ebb and flow of a 162 game season when you play each and every game, pitch by pitch.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
Banned

prestwood90's Arena

If a particular slider set works good for u that just means u and the slider creator play the game in a similar fashion.......sliders will always vary by user and I'm of the mindset that out of the box is usually the way the game was designed to operate with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 12:23 AM   #14
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

No slider adjustments for me. I do use Dynamic Difficulty to ease me into the new game. Once I get up to All-Star level I drop the DD slider to 2. I actually just touched HOF hitting on 15 before picking up 16. I don't know if I'll get back to that level, but I'll have fun trying.

A&S is right in that The Show requires the least amount of slider adjustments of any sports game on the market.

For me, I went to default sliders in all sports games a year ago and it's been a blast. I'm having fun (that's why we play these games) and accepting each game for its strengths and weaknesses.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Rookie

lion575a's Arena

I have one slider adjustment I have to make .... the CPU Pickoffs -2. Otherwise the oppossing pitcher will waste like 5 minutes of my life throwing to first base every game. Outside of that I play All Star Default so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion575a
I have one slider adjustment I have to make .... the CPU Pickoffs -2. Otherwise the oppossing pitcher will waste like 5 minutes of my life throwing to first base every game.
Heh, I have that slider maxed for the exact opposite reason: the AI throwing over a half-dozen times or so per game actually provides some pacing to at-bats, big for me since they ripped out about 80% of the real-life pacing this game used to have.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »