Home

Consensus on SP/RP stamina setting??

This is a discussion on Consensus on SP/RP stamina setting?? within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Consensus on SP/RP stamina setting??

I have user stamina at 4 and RP stamina at 2 for my played games. I feel like it's a solid setting as I can usually get to 80-90 pitches with any SP before he gets tired.

Relievers I can stretch out if they're full rested, but if I go back to back days with them, then they're usually done for the next game.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Just throwing it out there that user stamina actually would vary depending on the mechanic and pitching style. The stamina consumed by a pitch depends on the amount of "effort" chosen. This variance in effort, in turn, would depend on the type of person pitching, and how frequently he/she chooses to put max effort on a pitch.
Yep - I think that's one reason low stamina never meshed with me. I think relievers tend to go "all out" since they are going to be out there for an inning or so. So I usually pitch them that way (max effort).

I get the same effect you describe on 4 for RP stamina - just furthering your point.

Just finished with Clay Huff's outing. Not a single strike out through 7 innings, but not an easy-breezy game either. He used 95 pitches and was about to get tired but he got through the 7th so pulled him to start the 8th.

Lots of effort (and foul balls - the low K/9 is a pain sometimes lol). And double plays. I feel drained pitching with him having to think so much. Boeve is fire and forget (most of the time). Huff is tiring to ME to use lol
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #11
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know if it's really working. I've lowered Price to 69, even a starter to a 45, they all still pitch deep into the games (simming season) Price would even pitch 220-230 IP even on a 69 Stamina and 8 Manager Hook. The guy with 45 Stamina went 180 IP. So yeah I have no idea. The Hook doesn't seem to do much this year like it did last year thru the sim. I even tried putting the SP stamina slider as high as 8, as low as 4, not that much difference there. Relievers as low as 7-11 Stamina and they still pitch 1-2 IP a game and pitch 80-90 games a season
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

For franchise play, I max out starter stamina. My reasoning is that any regular MLB starter should be able to throw 100 pitches without needing an extra day of rest. In The Show, pitchers regenerate 20% of their energy per day off. So normal rest (four days) would be regenerating 80% of their energy.

So the ideal time to remove a starter would be before they drop below 20% of their energy. With the stamina slider lower than max, that point comes before they reach 100 pitches, meaning despite full rest they'd come into the next game depleted.

Another thing to take into account this year is the return of pick-off attempts. Those throws also deplete energy. (I had always suspected this to be the case, and it was confirmed the other day when my pitcher got the "...is getting tired" message after a pick-off attempt.)

With the slider at max, pitchers can throw a realistic number of pitches without needing extra rest. I also raise the CPU's stamina slider, and the way the manager hook works means that it's very rare that you'll see the AI leave a pitcher in for an unrealistic number of pitches. (I haven't had it happen at all this year yet, but in past years the only time I saw questionable CPU pitch counts was in games where the AI starter was dominant in the late innings.)

I know that pretty much everyone disagrees with me about this, for whatever reason, but I've done it this way for years, and can't see it changing unless they revamp the way pitchers regenerate energy.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #13
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Icon5 Re: Consensus on SP/RP stamina setting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFFiTh
I don't know if it's really working. I've lowered Price to 69, even a starter to a 45, they all still pitch deep into the games (simming season) Price would even pitch 220-230 IP even on a 69 Stamina and 8 Manager Hook. The guy with 45 Stamina went 180 IP. So yeah I have no idea. The Hook doesn't seem to do much this year like it did last year thru the sim. I even tried putting the SP stamina slider as high as 8, as low as 4, not that much difference there. Relievers as low as 7-11 Stamina and they still pitch 1-2 IP a game and pitch 80-90 games a season
Yeah...this has always been a problem with this series for simmed stats for pitching. Last year I simmed games with SP stamina at 0, and I think 7 for games played. It helped with IP and CG, but relievers still appeared in too many games. Very difficult to balance I'm sure.

I'm more asking about games played. What are others seeing as far as pitch counts for different stamina ratings? How does the stamina sliders affect pitchers over the course of a long season? It's looking like SP stamina at 6 or 7 and RP stamina anywhere from 0-4??
Old 04-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
For franchise play, I max out starter stamina. My reasoning is that any regular MLB starter should be able to throw 100 pitches without needing an extra day of rest. In The Show, pitchers regenerate 20% of their energy per day off. So normal rest (four days) would be regenerating 80% of their energy.
I like this kind of thinking.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien

So the ideal time to remove a starter would be before they drop below 20% of their energy. With the stamina slider lower than max, that point comes before they reach 100 pitches, meaning despite full rest they'd come into the next game depleted.

Another thing to take into account this year is the return of pick-off attempts. Those throws also deplete energy. (I had always suspected this to be the case, and it was confirmed the other day when my pitcher got the "...is getting tired" message after a pick-off attempt.)

With the slider at max, pitchers can throw a realistic number of pitches without needing extra rest. I also raise the CPU's stamina slider, and the way the manager hook works means that it's very rare that you'll see the AI leave a pitcher in for an unrealistic number of pitches. (I haven't had it happen at all this year yet, but in past years the only time I saw questionable CPU pitch counts was in games where the AI starter was dominant in the late innings.)

I know that pretty much everyone disagrees with me about this, for whatever reason, but I've done it this way for years, and can't see it changing unless they revamp the way pitchers regenerate energy.
While your argument is interesting, it's important to note that just because a pitcher's stamina isn't at 100% before they start, doesn't mean they "need an extra day of rest". You seem to be operating under the assumption that anything less than 100% stamina for a normally-rested pitcher is unrealistic. This is not necessarily the case.

There is a lot of analysis and theorizing on the 6-man rotation:
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...kershaw-031015
http://www.thinkbluela.com/index.php...mlb-history-3/

Something that would only be considered under the possibility that 4 days of rest isn't enough.

There is not enough hard evidence to conclusively say that pitchers aren't fully rested after a normal 4 days of rest. However, we also don't know that pitchers are fully rested after a normal 4 days of rest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 0

I completely agree, Bobhead. If someone has Stamina Maxed, then a pitcher could go consecutive starts throwing 130+ pitches......which is not realistic. Normally, if a guy goes ~120 pitches, then they will not go that long their next start (IRL). I have kept starter stamina at 6 for played games the last three iterations of The Show. But, I have tinkered with the idea of moving to 7. But, I think the balance between realistic energy left after a particularly long outing should be reflected the following start. I pitch differently early in the game if I have a pitcher starting out less than 100% (I pitch on HOF). I challenge more hitters, especially early in the game. I try to limit my pitches per inning to ~11-15, if possible. I think the sweet spot is either 6 or 7......but no more than 7, IMO. I am going to go with 7 when I start my franchise. I am going to go through my rotation twice and see what the results are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »