Home

FenwayMac Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders

This is a discussion on FenwayMac Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: FenwayMac Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders

After getting absolutely owned in the first two games with Toronto (14 Runs, 8 doubles, 2 triples, and a HR) it was time for me to open up the throttle. Even through I put up 11 runs, these runs were generated using every club in the bag!

Pay no mind to the steal home by Ortiz. What happened was I accidentally hit the steal button pre-pitch and it just so happened that the pitcher threw a wild one at that moment. Papi was fired up!

Toronto Blue Jays at Boston Red Sox
Jan 1, 123456789RHE
Toronto (29-29)100100000270
Boston (32-26)00204203x11170
W: Steven Wright (2-4) L: Drew Hutchison (3-5)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSTORBOS
TOR1Pillar homered to left10
BOS3Shaw grounded out to Smoak. Swihart scores11
BOS3Bradley Jr scores on a wild pitch12
TOR4Brown singled to right field. Bautista scores22
BOS5Pedroia homered to left. Swihart scores24
BOS5Bogaerts grounded to left for a single. Shaw scores25
BOS5Ortiz stole home! Bogaerts stole 2nd26
BOS6Swihart doubled to center. Holt scores.27
BOS6Bradley Jr grounded to center for a single. Swihart scores28
BOS8Bradley Jr homered to right. Swihart scores210
BOS8Bogaerts hit a sacrifice fly to Brown. Pedroia scores211
Toronto Blue Jays
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
HR: K. Pillar (6)
RBI: K.Pillar (22), D.Brown (8)
Boston Red Sox
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
2B: Swihart 2 (11), B.Holt (10)
HR: D. Pedroia (3), J.Bradley Jr. (15)
RBI: D.Pedroia 2 (18), X.Bogaerts 2 (19), B.Swihart (15), J Bradley Jr. 3 (29), T.Shaw (30)
SF: X.Bogaerts
BASERUNNING:
SB: X.Bogaerts (1), D.Ortiz (1)
Toronto Blue Jays
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
D.Hutchison (L, 3-5)4.18661114.48
R.Hernandez1.24220006.92
G.Floyd1.13331115.13
B.Cecil0.22000003.60
Boston Red Sox
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
S.Wright (W, 2-4_7.07222314.65
R.Ross2.00000103.46
Old 06-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #58
Pro

60-game mark with new sliders!

You all know the project at this point (if not it is laid out in the first post), so I will just go straight to the numbers:

My Franchise

1B - 63.6%
2B - 20.6%
3B - 1.8%
HR - 14%

Actual MLB Average

1B - 65.3%
2B - 19.4%
3B - 2.2%
HR - 13.1%

Summary

As more games are played I continue to have confidence in the results. The original goal was to shave about 5-7% off of home run totals and redistribute more singles, doubles, while hoping that triples don't get out of whack. My numbers seem fair. I hit for slightly more power (thus the doubles and HR totals), but slightly less triples (due to a general lack in speed runners). These percentages have remained fairly stable throughout each 10-game check in, so I don't anticipate any further anomalies as the sample size continues to grow. Though I will continue to track the percentages.

More importantly though is the variety of how runs are scored. RBI singles, RBI doubles, RBI triples, Sac Flies, Runs walked in, Runs off of wild pitches, Home runs. It has made the game feel very real, feel like I can sustain a rally, and also feel that I can come back on any team in any game if I focus hard enough. I burn through a lot of games pretty quickly, and the reason for that is it when you have great variety, the games never get boring!

Unless things suddenly change, I feel good leaving the HUM sliders right where they are. If you have any questions about any of my team stats feel free to post or PM me and I can get you the data!

CPU Hitting Sliders

For the next phase of slider examination, I am looking to see if some form of slider adjustment to CPU hitting sliders can create a better spread of hit type (1B,2B,3B,HR) as well as HOW the CPU scores their runs. After running the percentages after 50 games using the CPU sliders listed on page one of this thread, the percentages were as follows:

1B- 71.4%
2B- 15.2%
3B- 2.1%
HR- 11.3%

The percentages for singles was quite high compared to league average, while doubles, ran low, and home runs were somewhat close to within range. Given that I do not give up a ton of runs, my assumption was that the CPU often hits a couple singles, which then either fizzles out or is rewarded with a long bomb.

The goal then becomes to shave about 5-7% off of singles, and redistribute to doubles, triples, and home runs (mostly doubles), and hopefully those extra base hits would result in a great variety of how the computer scores its runs.

For the first test I increased the CPU solid hits slider by 1 (raising it to 4). I then started playing some games in hopes that I suddenly did not tank my season to a slaughter of hits and runs.

What I found out nearly immediately was that the computer does not necessarily receive more hits per game (8.7 hits per game pre-slider change, 8.8 hits per game post-slider change), BUT when they get one out in the gap, it travels a bit farther and drops a bit quicker, thus not allowing my fielder to allows get under it for a fly ball out. More balls in the gap have meant more doubles and triples, which has also meant more scoring by these means.

Here are the hit variety percentages after 10 games with the slider bump including the variance from pre-slider bump):

1B- 63.2% (-8.2%)
2B- 21.8% (+6.6%)
3B- 3.4% (+1.3%)
HR- 11.5% (+0.2%)

Summary

Bear in mind that this is a small sample size of 10-games, but the dramatic decrease in singles, coupled with the (mainly) doubles increase, and being delivered with virtually the same hits per game average has been a very welcome change to previous results. These numbers also seem to correspond very closely to actual MLB league averages...at least so far.

The feel of the game has been great as well. I have posted some box scores to give you an idea how the computer is scoring against me. I will also say that the extra bump in solid hits has made it a bit more scary to take the mound. If I do not hit the meter line just as I intend, and that pitch gets away from me, then there is a very good chance that I am going to pay with a deep double or long ball. The need to "be perfect" when pitching has definitely upped the ante a bit, and my attempts to nibble have resulted in more walks to the CPU, which is a good thing!

If I have any area of concern at the moment it is the .246 batting average against me. This has actual decreased very minimally, but i would hope it would have gone up at least a bit. This may need to be achieved through a bump to CPU Contact, but I would like a larger sample first.

Anyways...thank you for indulging me on my project. Playing around with these sliders has really been an lot of fun and I feel that the results I have experienced have definitely made an impact on actual stats as well as fun factor. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #59
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10

What type of pitching do you use Fenway ?
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #60
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10

Sorry saw it middle of thread, your low walks is because of meter, meter is too accurate , use Classic and I guarantee your walks given up go up. Look at anybody that uses meter, it's too accurate.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltw0303cavs
Sorry saw it middle of thread, your low walks is because of meter, meter is too accurate , use Classic and I guarantee your walks given up go up. Look at anybody that uses meter, it's too accurate.
I will have to try that out! Would using that interface require tweaking of the constistency and accuracy? Will I suddenly miss way out of the zone as well as throw a ton of out-of-control meatballs? I hate it when the computer goes cheese on me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #62
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
I will have to try that out! Would using that interface require tweaking of the constistency and accuracy? Will I suddenly miss way out of the zone as well as throw a ton of out-of-control meatballs? I hate it when the computer goes cheese on me.
I think the consistency and accuracy will need adjusted slightly. The meter allows more user input but the classic interface plays more to the pitchers ratings. I'd play around with using great pitchers (Kershaw, etc) and bad pitchers to get a good feel on where the sliders need to be.

I did notice walks were quite high just using your page 1 sliders with classic pitching.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #63
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan1984
I think the consistency and accuracy will need adjusted slightly. The meter allows more user input but the classic interface plays more to the pitchers ratings. I'd play around with using great pitchers (Kershaw, etc) and bad pitchers to get a good feel on where the sliders need to be.

I did notice walks were quite high just using your page 1 sliders with classic pitching.
I have been doing a bit of reading on meter vs classic. It is very polarizing! I tend to lean toward more user control, which is why I love zone hitting so much. If I am feeling it and my timing, PCI placement, and mys patience (probably most important) are clicking, then I feel a sense of accomplishment when I win. My favorite type of hit is ripping a double down the right field line at Fenway!

I think I feel the same way about meter pitching. I like knowing that if my timing is a bit off I am either going to walk a lot off batters or I am going to hang a bad pitch to be hammered. I also like the ability to aim time slightly above or below the line in order to affect end pitch location. When the game fattens the bar up a bit when the pitcher is in "the zone" it feels earned, which is cool.

I also like the idea of performance begin based on game ratings as well. I will say though that I live cheering for the underdog who comes out of nowhere and has a great season.

I can see plusses and minuses for both options, but I tend to lean toward meter. Perhaps lowering accuracy and consistency for a set of 10 games is in order...hmmm....
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #64
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
I have been doing a bit of reading on meter vs classic. It is very polarizing! I tend to lean toward more user control, which is why I love zone hitting so much. If I am feeling it and my timing, PCI placement, and mys patience (probably most important) are clicking, then I feel a sense of accomplishment when I win. My favorite type of hit is ripping a double down the right field line at Fenway!

I think I feel the same way about meter pitching. I like knowing that if my timing is a bit off I am either going to walk a lot off batters or I am going to hang a bad pitch to be hammered. I also like the ability to aim time slightly above or below the line in order to affect end pitch location. When the game fattens the bar up a bit when the pitcher is in "the zone" it feels earned, which is cool.

I also like the idea of performance begin based on game ratings as well. I will say though that I live cheering for the underdog who comes out of nowhere and has a great season.

I can see plusses and minuses for both options, but I tend to lean toward meter. Perhaps lowering accuracy and consistency for a set of 10 games is in order...hmmm....
Would definitely love to see the results if you give classic a shot for a few games. I've actually though about giving pulse pitching a shot. From what I understand, it is kind of a mix of classic and meter, but I could be wrong. Haven't researched it enough to know.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »