Home

JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #769
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegitgoat
Not a slider question. Was just wondering if you still stream josh
It's pretty rare these days. I might stream Madden when it comes out in August - it's a lot easier to create a story backdrop for that game as there is just a lot more to talk about (in terms of strategy and so on).
Old 07-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #770
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

I love all the slider work everyone does here. I've been basically using these sliders but on HOF for hitting and pitching and the game is playing great.

Sent from my thoughts
Old 07-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #771
MVP

OVR: 6

I'm now 10 games into my Bacon Fictional Cubs chise, and I have to say this is the BEST simulation baseball I've ever had.

The slight tweak to manager hook instantly paid dividends for me as it just introduces a slice more variety to AI decision making for starting pitching.

What blast this is though, I can't recommend this set up + Bacon's roster enough.

FYI, not to advertise but I do have my games streamed on Twitch and VOD's for those who want to keep up.

Cheers to all, baseball IS better!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #772
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsballa11
I'm now 10 games into my Bacon Fictional Cubs chise, and I have to say this is the BEST simulation baseball I've ever had.

The slight tweak to manager hook instantly paid dividends for me as it just introduces a slice more variety to AI decision making for starting pitching.

What blast this is though, I can't recommend this set up + Bacon's roster enough.

FYI, not to advertise but I do have my games streamed on Twitch and VOD's for those who want to keep up.

Cheers to all, baseball IS better!
I'm closing-in on the 20 game mark on the season (just now finding my stride with franchise). I've already had a 7 game winning streak followed immediately by a 5 game losing streak (in which all five CPU SPs threw more than 100 pitches). I had a 4-2 loss in 13 innings immediately followed by my giving up 7 runs in the first inning of my next game (without a HR allowed). I've lost a starting player for the season due to a torn ACL. I've had a star player roll out of the game hitting .049; while other lesser players are hitting better. My number 5 starter has been my best starter so far, my number 1 has struggled a bit. I've seen an insane variety of hit types for both sides. The AI bullpen logic is SO much better than previous years to boot.

Oh yeah...it's hard too. We're hitting .244 as a team (as I'm loaded with low contact guys) but I'm trying to adjust. I have to stay dialed-in while pitching or else bad things will happen.

Heck, even the franchise experience outside of games has been amazing. Roster construction has been solid, lineups solid, and heck, even the couple of trades I have seen have made a ton of sense.

I'm just really thankful that SDS finally adopted a true simulation-style approach to baseball this year. These very minor slider adjustments have just allowed everything to shine brightly.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:25 AM   #773
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I'm closing-in on the 20 game mark on the season (just now finding my stride with franchise). I've already had a 7 game winning streak followed immediately by a 5 game losing streak (in which all five CPU SPs threw more than 100 pitches). I had a 4-2 loss in 13 innings immediately followed by my giving up 7 runs in the first inning of my next game (without a HR allowed). I've lost a starting player for the season due to a torn ACL. I've had a star player roll out of the game hitting .049; while other lesser players are hitting better. My number 5 starter has been my best starter so far, my number 1 has struggled a bit. I've seen an insane variety of hit types for both sides. The AI bullpen logic is SO much better than previous years to boot.

Oh yeah...it's hard too. We're hitting .244 as a team (as I'm loaded with low contact guys) but I'm trying to adjust. I have to stay dialed-in while pitching or else bad things will happen.

Heck, even the franchise experience outside of games has been amazing. Roster construction has been solid, lineups solid, and heck, even the couple of trades I have seen have made a ton of sense.

I'm just really thankful that SDS finally adopted a true simulation-style approach to baseball this year. These very minor slider adjustments have just allowed everything to shine brightly.
Josh, are using the fictional roster? I've never done that cos as a Brit I don't have as much in depth knowledge as you guys of the actual players so I suppose my biases don't come into effect as much. I'm using my Blue Jays and my scrub player is Vlad, hitting at 0.129 and 1 homer after 25 games. Cavan Biggio is raking it for me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #774
Banned

OVR: 0

Great find Josh at manager hook at 4. The CPU does a fantastic job managing their bullpen now. They even keep their starter in after 6 innings. As before the pitcher could barely make it through 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #775
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamackeris76
Josh, are using the fictional roster?
Yes I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan28
Great find Josh at manager hook at 4. The CPU does a fantastic job managing their bullpen now. They even keep their starter in after 6 innings. As before the pitcher could barely make it through 5.
Yeah, I just kept noticing that stamina wasn't triggering pulls; it was just hyper-conservative in-game management.

Perfect example in a game I played last night. We were in the 4th inning and I was up 1-0. One out and we managed to load the bases. I had worked the SP pretty well (he was at around 65-70 pitches). The pitching coach came out to calm his pitcher down; he gave up a sac fly but got through otherwise unscathed. He wound up working into the 6th before he was pulled (for stamina).

Based on what I had been seeing on the default hook value, he 100% would have been replaced in that 4th inning bases-loaded situation when he was still in a close game and still had some juice in the tank.

I've seen an array of different game situations where the updated hook value has just made more sense. I was getting frustrated on default because a SP would just be cruising along, he'd be at 70 pitches, give up a lead-off double in the 5th in a tied game and boom, he'd be gone. Now...he'll be given a chance to work through it (sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he does). It has trickled-down beautifully into bullpen usage. I even saw a closer come into a game due to a jam in the 8th inning of a tied game!

It just makes way more sense than raising the stamina sliders in a game where we need to coax more offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #776
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Yes I am.

Yeah, I just kept noticing that stamina wasn't triggering pulls; it was just hyper-conservative in-game management.

Perfect example in a game I played last night. We were in the 4th inning and I was up 1-0. One out and we managed to load the bases. I had worked the SP pretty well (he was at around 65-70 pitches). The pitching coach came out to calm his pitcher down; he gave up a sac fly but got through otherwise unscathed. He wound up working into the 6th before he was pulled (for stamina).

Based on what I had been seeing on the default hook value, he 100% would have been replaced in that 4th inning bases-loaded situation when he was still in a close game and still had some juice in the tank.

I've seen an array of different game situations where the updated hook value has just made more sense. I was getting frustrated on default because a SP would just be cruising along, he'd be at 70 pitches, give up a lead-off double in the 5th in a tied game and boom, he'd be gone. Now...he'll be given a chance to work through it (sometimes he doesn't, sometimes he does). It has trickled-down beautifully into bullpen usage. I even saw a closer come into a game due to a jam in the 8th inning of a tied game!

It just makes way more sense than raising the stamina sliders in a game where we need to coax more offense.
I love having this setting at 4. Been using it for a few years now. I tinkered with lowering it to 3 in 21 but it wasn't really necessary as there was improvement in bullpen logic. Though I am currently on 20, my time with 21 proved fruitful with the manager hook at 4.

Currently Playing:

Stardew Valley (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »