Home

S & B’s Directional/Classic MLB 23 Sliders

This is a discussion on S & B’s Directional/Classic MLB 23 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #1
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0
S & B’s Directional/Classic MLB 23 Sliders

Steve and I will be making another slider set for 2023. The most important thing for us is to make this game fun for everybody. We are trying to make this game fun, but challenging and rewarding to everybody. We play all 162 games.

We make sure that our sliders will play out to average what you see in real-life MLB. We know that some of our fielding and speed numbers look off but they make the game more realistic. We make sure that our hit variety and distribution are close to what MLB averages are. We don't want all of our runs scoring via home runs. The MLB average is around 50% of runs scored. We try to get the hit distribution below. Steve and I keep track of all our stats on a spreadsheet and in 2021 we were both right on. We don't expect you to care or follow that as we just want to make it fun. But that is fun for us to keep track of.

Singles: 65%
Doubles: 20%
Triples: 2%
Home Runs: 12%

We also track on how runs score. We hate when all the runs feel like are scored by home runs. The goals are below for each scoring category. These are based on 2019 and 2020 stats.

Single: 21%
Double: 15%
Triple: 3%
Home Run: 49%
Walks: 1%
Sac Fly: 5%
Other: 6%

We start with dynamic difficulty and lock it down once we get settled. Last year we were at Allstar and Allstar + for hitting and legend for pitching. We will start there this year. I even hope is that we can find a balance using HOF for pitching this year.

We use Quick Counts but these work without it as well. These are designed for using visuals when pitching. But you can use without as well. Just might be a little harder.

Hitting Difficulty: Allstar (or your preference)
Hitting Interface: Directional or Timing
Guess Pitch: Off
Baserunning: Auto

Pitching Difficulty: Allstar
Pitching Interface: Classic
Pitch Confidence: On
API: Personal preference

Fielding:

Throwing Interface: Buttons
Throwing Meter: Off

General:
Gameplay Style: Simulation
Fielding Aids: Off
Strike Zone: Off
Hot Zones: Off
Wind: On
Dynamic Difficulty Updates: Progress
Balks: Off

Umpire Accuracy: User Preference (could also switch it to get more variety).

Version 1.1 in spoiler.
Spoiler

Slider Settings Version 2.0 in spoiler.
Spoiler

Slider Settings Version 3.0 in spoiler.
Spoiler

Slider Settings Version 4.0 in spoiler.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Slider Settings Version 5

(Numbers in parentheses reflect the latest change)

User

Power: 5 (-1)
Timing: 0
Foul Frequency: 5
Solid Hits: 5
SP Stamina w/ quick counts: 6
RP Stamina: 8 (+1)
Pitcher Control: 3 (-2)
Pitcher Consistency: 5

CPU

Power: 6 (+1)
Timing: 5 (-5)
Foul Frequency: 1 (-9)
Solid Hits: 6 (+1)
Control: 5
Consistency: 5 (-2)
Strike Frequency: 4
Starter Stamina: 7 (-3) (2 for simmed games
Reliever Stamina: 5 (-31) (5 for simmed games)
Pickoffs: 0
CPU Manager Hook: 4 until SP is removed. 10 for bullpen. 7 for simulated games. This gives realistic complete game numbers across the league.
CPU Pickoffs: 0
Pitch Speed: User Preference

Fielding/Baserunning Sliders

Infield Fielding Errors: 0 (-5)
Outfield Fielding Errors: 0 - You will see more great plays in the OF.
Throwing Errors Infield: 7 (-3)
Throwing Errors Outfield: 3 (-2)
Fielder Run Speed: 5
Fielder Reaction: 7 (+2)
Arm Strength IF: 3 (+2) - This lets you still beat out infield singles and controls the double plays. You will still see higher-rated infielders make good throws. Should be one less than baserunner speed.
Arm Strenght OF: 4
Baserunner Speed: 4 (+2)
Steal Ability: 7
Steal Frequency: 10
Wind: See below
Game Played Injury Frequency: 10
Simulation Injury Frequency: 6
Simulated AA/AAA Injury Frequency: 0-2

Dowies Wind System

At the beginning of the game, use a random number generator from 1-10. Change the wind slider according to the numbers below. You can also do this in the 5th inning if you want the wind to possibly change during the game.

1-3 - move wind to 2
4-7 - keep wind where you have it (or 5)
8-10 - move wind to 10

Trades

For trades last year, we turned them to 0 through the season. In late July, we determined what teams were sellers and buyers and made a list. We made a list of players that were on expiring contracts from the teams that were sellers. We went through the team buyers list to see who would need what positions. If there were four teams that were needing a 2B, we would do a random number generator to determine what team got the 2B. It was a lot of fun and in my own franchise, I missed out on guys that I was hoping to get. In fact, I was targeting two players last year that I didn't get and had to get somebody else. And that player did great for me at the end. Normally, I would always just go get the player if I wanted him. We would do that for each player on the list. We added a few things like once a team won a player, they are removed from the list for that position. It was a lot of work but it was fun. If you want to let the CPU make the trades, you can as well. That was just our spin on it.

Bullpen Usage

Bigdawg1690 shared his bullpen setup with us and we are using that for our franchise. It lets the AI use MRP guys in the middle innings instead of always their LRP. You have to do 30 man control and set lineups to manual. Otherwise, they will reset the spots. We have tested this and the AI will bring in their MRP guys in tied or close games in the 5th or 6th innings. They will even bring in their good RP when they are losing in a close game. Please feel free to ask us if you have any questions.

LRP - worst RHP, stamina under 40
LRP - empty
LRP - empty
MRP - 2nd best RHP
MRP - 3rd best RHP
MRP - 2nd lefty, 4th best RHP
MRP - 4th or 5th RHP
SU - best LHP
SU - best RHP
CP - closer

If there are no left-handed pitchers, please use this set up.

LRP - worst RP (swap with second worst every couple months if u wanna balance innings)
LRP - empty
LRP - empty
MRP - 2nd best RP
MRP - 4th best RP
MRP - 5th best RP
MRP - 6th best RP
SU1 - 3rd best RP
SU2 - best RP (non closer)
CP - closer

In full Sims with this setup, here's what I was getting approximately (no injuries)

LRP - 50-60 appearances

MRPs - 70-80 appearances

SUs - 50-70 appearances

CP - 50-70 appearances

For optimal results, do not have a 6th starter in the bullpen unless you edit his stamina to under 30.
Everybody should have less than 30 stamina except for the closer. If there is a workhorse you feel that can go more innings, put him at less than 40 stamina.

Also, you could put the stamina of the closer to at least 29 to maximize his usage.

But the rating edits are optional if you want to dive into that more. Otherise, this set up will work either way.

Ejections

Lil Worm came up with this idea. Since the game does not do ejections (except if you throw at the batter on purpose) and the CPU never gets ejected, we created a system.

If the cutscreen shows the manager yelling at the umpire, the player involved gets ejected. If it is the CPU, you will switch teams and take them out. If you are batting and your coach yells at the umpire on a strike call, the batter is ejected. If your coach yells at the umpire when the pitcher doesn't get a strike call, the pitcher gets ejected (or as soon as the pitcher can come out of the game with the 3 batter rule).

If the batter yells at the umpire or acts like he is throwing the bat, or if the pitcher is yelling at the umpire, I will do a random generator of 1-100. 60-100 gets thrown out.

Or you can make it more or less often if you want. But it doesn't happen too much.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by bryanm1982; 11-20-2023 at 01:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #2
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

Re: S & B’s Directional/Classic MLB 23 Sliders

Place holder.

Braves Franchise

Old 03-15-2023, 04:57 PM   #3
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Excellent yay!! I’ll be helping playing sone games day 1 gif feedback. Can’t wait! I’m excited against she 41 haha!
Old 03-16-2023, 12:14 PM   #4
Pro

HeadCoach2.0's Arena

One more week.

I won't be able to play on Game pass until the 28th but at least I can watch the YouTube stuff and find out about the game here on the forum.

I am considering using the Braves instead of the Mets. Might be time for a change.

Can't wait to get the first slider set from here.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #5
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCoach2.0
One more week.

I won't be able to play on Game pass until the 28th but at least I can watch the YouTube stuff and find out about the game here on the forum.

I am considering using the Braves instead of the Mets. Might be time for a change.

I will probably stream some of the games on Friday as well. I’m probably not going to bed on Thursday night lol.

Braves Franchise

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCoach2.0
One more week.

That's quite the change. As a Braves fan, I could never do another NL East team.

I'm going Mariners these year as a change of pace. And I'll just play some DD occasionally to get my Braves fix.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2023, 12:07 AM   #7
Pro

HeadCoach2.0's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
That's quite the change. As a Braves fan, I could never do another NL East team.

I'm going Mariners these year as a change of pace. And I'll just play some DD occasionally to get my Braves fix.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I have been doing Mets seasons for years dating back to previous versions. THAT'S BORING NOW. I live in Florida and Im going to Atlanta this summer/fall and see the Braves play and tour the stadium. Atlanta is less than 6 hours away from me. It is not that big of a change coming from where I live at.

I am a diehard NL fan and don't like any of the AL teams except Tampa Bay.

The Braves are a team that is in close proximity to me that I could drive up and go see.

Last edited by HeadCoach2.0; 03-23-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:53 AM   #8
Pro

HeadCoach2.0's Arena

To those who have the early version what is the verdict so far?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »