Home

Looking for beginner sliders

This is a discussion on Looking for beginner sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Looking for beginner sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
I have it maxed for spring; none of the stats count. Even if they did, not sure I buy this. “Out of whack” compared to what? — If I broke my back for 30 games on Legend and ended up with a .122 team BA would that not make the stats “out of whack” too? Literally no difference.

Edit: I do see what you mean now. I don’t think that matters either because of how long and convoluted a seasons is. Injuries, hot steaks, opposing pitcher that day, etc. Hitting on HOF+ instead of AS for game 45 through game 77 is not screwing up any stat lines. At least not in my experience.

Edit 2: Also, having the slider at 10 only makes it change difficulty level quickly if and when your performance changes. So wild fluctuations in difficulty level really isn’t a thing after you settle into your actual skillet. I’ve been on HOF+ pitching for days for example. Interested to see where I end up after spring is over, is all. That’s why I have it on 10. I thought I mentioned that.

The point was, if you’re looking to be eased into this game as a beginner, Dynamic is perfect. Not sure how anyone could disagree unless they’ve just thrown the entire idea away from then beginning.
IF you look at my sliders I ok for those that want it to be no more then 5 or defualt. This is due to the point you made. The fluctuations in stats are to "wacky". IF you play the Mets against DeGrom good chance your not hitting much. On level 10 you could drop from HOF to Veteran with a real bad offensive game. Same on pitching. You face the bombers in NYY or CWS and it'll drop like a rock until you end up pitching from HOF + down to Veteran +. The ONLY way to curb the slider at 10 is to dumb down everything else as far as sliders go so the CPU or you don't have "to much" offense.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
As long as you understand the sport, I'd strongly recommend going into Options Explorer (found at the bottom of the main menu - press D-pad down to see the whole menu) and trying out all of the various options to see what you like best. I'd do this before getting into the sliders at all.

IMO, Directional hitting/Classic Pitching with Baserunning/Fielding/Throwing all on auto is probably the easiest combination for a beginner to play the game on, but that means the player ratings have a lot of control over the outcome. If you want to have more impact on the game as a player, you might want to try some of the other options.

You can save the settings you want to use from Options Explorer as your default, and also jump right into a game (vs LA I think) when you're done with the options settings.
There is one thing in the whole entire game (so far) that I cannot seem to fix. It's my baserunning - every time I move the left stick to try and round first base, the runner stops and goes back, and then I usually proceed to send him to second base anyways, usually ending up safe because of a good hit. But regardless, I clearly need to learn how that works on the controller before moving any further.

Thank you for the quick activity on this thread also!
Old 06-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #11
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11
There is one thing in the whole entire game (so far) that I cannot seem to fix. It's my baserunning - every time I move the left stick to try and round first base, the runner stops and goes back, and then I usually proceed to send him to second base anyways, usually ending up safe because of a good hit. But regardless, I clearly need to learn how that works on the controller before moving any further.

In default base running the left stick selects the runner. After that you hit the corresponding base icon to send the runner to that base or hold r1 to advance all runners.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:

Just as a general rule, holding the L1 button until after the batter-runner passes first will usually get you the result you're looking for - a round off of 1st and the runner continuing on towards second. This will also advance lead runners as well, since they'll almost always hit their next base before the batter-runner touches first (due to their leadoff). Once you release L1, all of the runners will stop at the next base they touch. L1 is very practical because in virtually any situation you're sending a batter to 2nd, you're also going to want the runners ahead of him to run as far as they can - they're probably scoring unless the guy on 1st is a boat anchor.

There's an annoying bug online where sometimes a runner advanced using L1 doesn't stop running until the base after you want him to stop at, but if you only play offline I've never seen it happen there. L1 is pretty safe in offline play.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Just as a general rule, holding the L1 button until after the batter-runner passes first will usually get you the result you're looking for - a round off of 1st and the runner continuing on towards second. This will also advance lead runners as well, since they'll almost always hit their next base before the batter-runner touches first (due to their leadoff). Once you release L1, all of the runners will stop at the next base they touch. L1 is very practical because in virtually any situation you're sending a batter to 2nd, you're also going to want the runners ahead of him to run as far as they can - they're probably scoring unless the guy on 1st is a boat anchor.

There's an annoying bug online where sometimes a runner advanced using L1 doesn't stop running until the base after you want him to stop at, but if you only play offline I've never seen it happen there. L1 is pretty safe in offline play.

Good luck!
Another problem I'm having is botching up easy throws to first base on grounders, and the 1st baseman jumping way off the bag to catch the ball.

Why is that happening? Should I just be tapping A for a lighter throw and more accuracy?
Old 06-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #14
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Another problem I'm having is botching up easy throws to first base on grounders, and the 1st baseman jumping way off the bag to catch the ball.

Why is that happening? Should I just be tapping A for a lighter throw and more accuracy?
Depends on if you are set to button or button accuracy throwing.

To just tap and throw you want button throwing.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 06-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Depends on if you are set to button or button accuracy throwing.

To just tap and throw you want button throwing.
100% agree... I tried button accuracy at 1st and my team was making all the errors... abandoned that REAL QUICK
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #16
Rookie

I say start off on the hardest difficulty...Legend hitting and pitching with pitch speeds at 10!...play for a month with these settings then start adjusting sliders...don't be like 90% of players and settle for All-Star with default pitch speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »