Home

JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

This is a discussion on JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2024, 09:19 AM   #9
Rookie
 
JWDixon120's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 620
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwazwsxedc
I can't even download it to try it out, what am i doing wrong

Youíre not supposed to download anything.

You need to open the link to Google sheets, then make a copy of the sheet to edit it.


-Franchise Fidelity to Reality Roster out Now! (MLB 24)
-Creator of JWDixonís Franchise Spreadsheet
-More coming soon!
JWDixon120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #10
TrueSim Projects-Creator
 
Cycloniac's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,105
Blog Entries: 3
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
CPU will sub guys in prior to the game if someone is below about 30% energy whether you have lineups on AUTO or MANUAL. The issue with this is that they will completely redo the lineup, rather than just subbing out the tired guy. Meaning they will leave in the well rested guys but they will completely change the batting order if they sub even 1 guy.

The only way to combat this to check the CPU lineup in the pre game lineup menu. If I see anyone below 30% energy I will back out of the game and go into the lineup screen in the franchise menu. I will take out anyone in the lineup that I know the CPU will be taking out due to needing rest. I will also put guys at DH who have about 50% energy to make sure they play all 3 games in a series.

One thing I do recommend is saving your franchise before you start every game. Sometimes the CPU will sub guys out for a reason besides rest. For example, Player X is only hitting .125 vs lefties this year, or Player Y on the bench hasnít played in over a week and the CPU wants them to get them playing time. The cool thing about this feature is that it is NOT pre coded into the game. Meaning it doesnít happen every time you play the same game. Therefore if you saved the franchise prior, you can close the app and reload the franchise. I can almost guarantee the CPU will not pull said player for performance issues this time around.
Hmm, so if you want to set the lineups for the other teams, is it wiser to do manual still then?

What happens if a player gets hurt? Do you get notified that x team's lineup is incomplete?

I've never done lineups for the other teams, so curious about pros and cons before I set them all.
__________________
THE TrueSim PROJECTS



Cycloniac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM   #11
MVP
 
tc020791's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Hmm, so if you want to set the lineups for the other teams, is it wiser to do manual still then?



What happens if a player gets hurt? Do you get notified that x team's lineup is incomplete?



I've never done lineups for the other teams, so curious about pros and cons before I set them all.


Basically if you set the lineups to AUTO the CPU will do whatever it wants based off their own stipulations. If you put it on MANUAL they will only change a lineup if thereís an injury or a call up. Even if the injured player isnít a starter, sometimes they will mess with the lineup anyway. But if the injured player is a starter, and you have CPU lineups on MANUAL, it will tell you that there are invalid lineups for said team. If there are no injuries or call ups for a team, the lineup should stick for the whole time. My suggestion would be to double check every team maybe once a week, or twice a month. Like every Monday or something. 90% of the lineups will still be exactly how you left them. This logic also applies to the CPU pitching rotation.
tc020791 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM   #12
TrueSim Projects-Creator
 
Cycloniac's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,105
Blog Entries: 3
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
Basically if you set the lineups to AUTO the CPU will do whatever it wants based off their own stipulations. If you put it on MANUAL they will only change a lineup if thereís an injury or a call up. Even if the injured player isnít a starter, sometimes they will mess with the lineup anyway. But if the injured player is a starter, and you have CPU lineups on MANUAL, it will tell you that there are invalid lineups for said team. If there are no injuries or call ups for a team, the lineup should stick for the whole time. My suggestion would be to double check every team maybe once a week, or twice a month. Like every Monday or something. 90% of the lineups will still be exactly how you left them. This logic also applies to the CPU pitching rotation.
Do you ever change the lineups for the CPU teams? Say player x is struggling, do you move them down?

I know on AUTO, the CPU will do stuff like that, but on MANUAL, I'm assuming no.
__________________
THE TrueSim PROJECTS



Cycloniac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:32 AM   #13
MVP
 
tc020791's Arena
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Sep 2010
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
Do you ever change the lineups for the CPU teams? Say player x is struggling, do you move them down?



I know on AUTO, the CPU will do stuff like that, but on MANUAL, I'm assuming no.


Definitely. I will start the season based off what you would normally see IRL. Then I will adjust as the year goes on based off how well theyíre doing in game. I especially take a deep look at the team Iím playing that series, want to make sure I get their best effort.
tc020791 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:52 AM   #14
All Star
 
franch1se's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Blog Entries: 8
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120
Oooh also what team are you using? Interested to see how your lineups shake out.

I tested it on 7-8 teams and thought the results turned out decent with where guys were.


-Franchise Fidelity to Reality Roster out Now! (MLB 24)
-Creator of JWDixon’s Franchise Spreadsheet
-More coming soon!
I'm using the Padres and vs a RHP it entered:

Ha-Seong Kim
Jake Cronenworth
Manny Machado
Xander Bogaerts
Fernando Tatis Jr
Donovan Solano
Jurickson Profar
Jackson Merrill
Luis Campusano

I personally want Tati hitting at the top of the lineup so I'll probably swap him with Cronenworth or Kim if i used the tool again.
franch1se is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:06 AM   #15
Rookie
 
JWDixon120's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 620
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
I'm using the Padres and vs a RHP it entered:

Ha-Seong Kim
Jake Cronenworth
Manny Machado
Xander Bogaerts
Fernando Tatis Jr
Donovan Solano
Jurickson Profar
Jackson Merrill
Luis Campusano

I personally want Tati hitting at the top of the lineup so I'll probably swap him with Cronenworth or Kim if i used the tool again.

Hmm. Guess it depends on your roster ratings as well.

Using our FFTR roster, with that same starting 9 vs RHP I get:

1. Tatis Jr.
2. Cronenworth
3. Machado
4. Bogaerts
5. Profar
6. Kim
7. Solano
8. Merrill
9. Campusano
JWDixon120 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2024, 11:48 AM   #16
MVP
 
Therebelyell626's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Re: JWDixon's Sabermetric Lineup Optimizer

This is cool man. Thanks for sharing
Therebelyell626 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.
Top -