Home

ps4 controller's touch pad and The Show

This is a discussion on ps4 controller's touch pad and The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: ps4 controller's touch pad and The Show

My guess is pressing it will simply replace the select button while swiping it could bring up some other menu's such as bullpen, pitch history, hitter/pitcher's attributes, hot/cold zones, etc.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm not sure if it would be practical to use it in game (ie diving, sliding, etc). I think it would be most useful as a shortcut tool. Press the touch pad to bring the batter analysis. Slide your finger up to open bullpen menu, slide it down for pinch hitter, to the right for pinch runner, to the left for strategy changes (DP Depth, shifts, infield/outfield in/out). Something along those lines.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

I think it's going to be used just like a couple of people have mentioned in the thread. It will probably be used to bring up menu's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 12

I think that they might make it more than just a glorified select/start button. The only reason I think this is that it is a Sony exclusive and my guess would be that Sony is pushing companies (especially their own) to use the touch/track pad in unique ways and push the threshold.

Most the time, when games are on multiple platforms, special features on controllers/system are not utilized because the platforms don't want games to have something on the other platform that they don't have.

So...for the trackpad to be anything more than the "new" select button, they have to use it for gameplay in their exclusives.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #13
Pro

OVR: 12

Also, the trackpad brings a level of accuracy the joysticks and a button press can't provide. I know that was along the lines of what Cerny claimed developers wanted and that's why they included it.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 7

I do like the idea of the trackpad being used to pick off runners. The faster you swipe towards the direction of the base, the faster the attempt. But each base is mapped exactly to cross-axis on each endpoint. So think of it like a clock. Swiping towards 3 o'clock would be 1st base, swiping towards 12 o'clock would be 2nd, and 9 o'clock would be 3rd. So if you are trying to swipe towards 1st and you swipe it at say, 2 o'clock, the pick-off may go up the right field line. If you swipe towards 4 o'clock, the throw may go towards the dugout. And then the same would apply for the all the other bases. Giving you a little risk-reward and more control over pick off attempts which, at this point, I pretty much never attempt because they are so random and almost never work.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #15
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
ps4 controller's touch pad and The Show

Pretty neat idea to use it for pick offs. I like it! This could flow very well. Also the speed of the swipe could maybe determine the quickness of the pickoff. Maybe they could give us different options to map the trackpad to

I think it could work for slides as well.

Last edited by LastActionHero; 02-12-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #16
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

I still would not want to use it for any gameplay action that also had a button input. It would be more reliable to just tap the pick off button, and you know what you'll get each time based on hwo you hit the button.

I'd rather they map non-gameplay actions to it that can help alleviate some of the tedious aspects of the game.

For example maybe you could map four defensive alignments to it and have a swipe in a direction activate those. I rarely use defensive alignments anymore because I just don't want to go into the menu each time.

If they map gameplay elements to it I would rarely if ever use the pad at all. I'd rather they add functionality to the game as it gives them some more inputs to work with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »