Home

Why Is There No Slow Play Mode?

This is a discussion on Why Is There No Slow Play Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Icon9 Why Is There No Slow Play Mode?

I've managed to undig my head out of MLB 14 The Show to visit OS for a second just to ask a question thats been on my mind since day 1 of this game. I'm playing at the beautiful looking Busch Stadium.

Why is it the gameplay mode is too quick to shorten cutscenes, or ignoring them all together like after most foul balls. What is the point of implementing new lighting and recreated stadiums, ballboys, new organ and atmosphere if we can't even enjoy it because every moment of the game is all gameplay. This isn't hockey, there are many slow moments that are apart of this sport and they barely exists in this game. I honestly hope this is something that would be included on a patch, but I don't see how this is possible.

To me this issue really is disappointing a little bit, I know they introduced fast play to members who want to play and skip everything , finish in 10-20 minutes. That's great for them but why does that have to carry over to me? They have condensed the flow of the game and some it is very annoying. I thought they would improve this area with expanded presentation but it doesn't apply here, can they at least bring slow paced cpu pitchers back?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why Is There No Slow Play Mode?

Amen!

This is my biggest issue with the game. It just doesn't give me the proper amount of time between each pitch. I don't like feeling rushed and Normal still is just too quick for my liking. To me slow replicates baseball the best. Baseball isn't a fast game and that's just the way it is. I completely understand why people play it on normal or fast, but I'm just confused as to why slow would get scrapped. I know their goal was to improve the pace of the game for players, but not having slow angers me. I remember on The Show 13 they had a bug where slow play was the same as normal play, but then it got patched back to how it should be. Maybe this could be patched in again, but there's not even an option on the game for slow play so maybe not. Just sucks not to have that option anymore.

I'll add this though. Man oh man is this game great. This game just replicates baseball so well. If they can somehow get slow play patched in I would pretty much be 100% happy.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 05-09-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4

I liked slow before, but here's my advice: press L3
Old 05-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouserHUN
I liked slow before, but here's my advice: press L3
Ya you can do that or hit down on the directional pad, but that's not the issue, it's the flow of the game that isn't the same. I always had my rhythm down. I hit X twice (to move the bat forward) before each pitch. That's just the way I did it. I can't really explain why that's just how I played. Now I can only move the bat forward once before the pitch is thrown. I know it seems like such a minor gripe but that's just the way I felt most comfortable. I got into that routine all the way back in The Show 10 and it just felt perfect. It's very very different not being able to do that anymore.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Along with quick counts, Sony made a serious effort to make the game much faster to stop boring people. I guess they saw it as an opportunity with the new generation of games to attract a wider audience. So there you go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I don't get it either.

At CD for 13 I actually spent sometime reporting cutscenes that were cutting off too quickly. They actually fixed most of them.

But this year almost none of them play all the way through.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Rookie

RD_Rabin's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm new to Baseball and The Show, but I do like to take my time, enjoy the game, watch the cutscenes and make it feel like the real game.

I'd like a 'slow' option too.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I don't get it either.

At CD for 13 I actually spent sometime reporting cutscenes that were cutting off too quickly. They actually fixed most of them.

But this year almost none of them play all the way through.
I actually expected them to Expand on this element in PS4 and the new presentations we get would be the mechanism to include things like pitch by pitch and play by play presentations and cutscenes. If someone doesn't like them they can hit x or switch the mode but people play this game out everyday and to drag us into quickening it up destroying its games own flow cheapens its experience. I can only hope at least the previous level of speed of play is restored on a patch.

This goes to show why you do not take a working feature Out of a well done game. It's just unexplainable to me why this was really done.. as I said I expected them to expand on this feature. The thought of sacrificing this for quick play and quick counts shocks me, as remarkably unintelligent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »