Home

For those using bad teams.

This is a discussion on For those using bad teams. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
For those using bad teams.

I play as the Cubs and their lineup is simply terrible. I am having a nearly impossible time scoring runs and just now, finally won my first game since I bought MLB 14. I won 3-1 (Jeff Samardzija had a 3-run homer). I had gone 32, yes 32, consecutive innings without scoring a run (or hitting an extra-base hit) up until that point.

I'm a veteran of The Show but this year seems more difficult than ever for me to generate runs. I'm curious for anyone else using the Cubs, or maybe the Astros (basically a really bad team), are you having trouble scoring?

I really don't mind this if it's just the fact that my players suck. Because it will be fun to rebuild and see my team become better at offense over time. However, if I eventually get some quality hitters and I'm still going game after game without an extra base hit and going two, three, or even five games without scoring a run I'm going to start thinking that it's not my hitters but perhaps some kind of game mechanic.

I know there's been threads before about low-scoring games and I have to say that I feel that this year it is more difficult than ever to score. For the record I play on Hall of Fame for pitching and All-Star for hitting.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: For those using bad teams.

I know that people always have issues scoring--and maybe I've been blessed with the eyes of someone who had a mediocre career in real life but could see the virtual ball with the best of them--but perhaps your sliders/difficulty need adjusted? Changing the "timing" slider is the easiest way to score more runs without breaking the game, so I would start there. Or, find your extremes and move toward the middle. For example, play on the easiest level and see just how unrealistic the scores are. Then start moving up until you get to the sweet spot (rather than working back).

I am the first to admit that I play NHL and NBA on easy levels, so I'm not trying to blame the user, it just seems that may be the problem. The eggshells are cracking in vain.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

32 consecutive innings without scoring? Time to adjust the difficulty my friend.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinsfan26
32 consecutive innings without scoring? Time to adjust the difficulty my friend.
But I've always played on default All-Star and I don't feel like MLB 14 is so drastically different than previous versions that it warrants a change in difficulties. I sat down tonight and told myself, I'm not going to stop playing this game until I score a run. Little did I know that it would take me almost four full games to do so.

How often do you guys use the power swing and do you think it is effective? I usually use it on 2-0 or 3-1 counts. I used a power swing when I broke my scoreless streak with Samardzija's blast.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Gagnon, I'm typically an almost HOF player (I usually play on AS but hit just a little too well) and this year, after over 60 games on AS (QC's. Timing only) I'm hitting .250.

I always use NYY and hit almost .270 last year.

Dynamic Difficulty is a godsend and if you have even the slightest concern about whether you difficulty level is right for you, use it. I mean it.

It grades you based on a combination of slugging and OBP which is brilliant. Turn it on man and never look back. Seriously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0

I looked through your posts and didn't see which hitting interface you used, so I apologize if you mentioned it and I just missed it. But if you're using analog (Like I do, fell in love with analog when I played 2K), the stride timing is different this year, you have to start your stride much earlier than in years past.

Start your stride when the pitcher is about to move his arm forward. It varies from pitcher to pitcher, and even pitch to pitch (Stride is different from a fastball to a changeup). But start it earlier.

And if you're not using analog, try it. On the same difficulty that I was barely scoring 1 run a game using the buttons, I think I won my first game like 19-1 using analog when I was playing MLB 12: The Show.

Best of luck to you. Perhaps you can make something out of Rizzo after all.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 2

I struggle to hit with the cubs too. I can get singles but they have no. Power whatsoever so I don't ry get any extra base hits. I do have 8 home runs and 29 RBI with rizzo 31 games in but only 3 doubles with him. Another guy I hit well with is schierholtZ hitting like .360 with 4 homers and 16 RBI.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:01 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 22

Sliders bro...twinker and monkey around with the sliders and various settings...it is why they are put into the game to adjust the gameplay to your liking.

In my opinion, i like the hard fought games i've had thus far...I've scored big in a few games but thats it..most of my games were around 1-0, 2-3, 3-5, 1-2, 3-6,etc ...i mean i had messed around with Dynamic difficulty and i really think its pretty well done for auto-adjusting the overall difficulty but you can always tweak the "user" and "cpu" sliders a bit as well to make the game play how "YOU" want it to man. They do work well imho

I absolutely love this game on PS4...it has been nothing but pure fun and i play the slow 1 hour full games and it does not bore me what-so-ever!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »