Home

Double Plays

This is a discussion on Double Plays within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1
Double Plays

Is anyone else hitting into a higher number of double plays than in past iterations of the game? I'm leading the league in franchise in double plays by a good margin. I've never had this problem in past games, and I don't like using swing influence unless it's a sac fly attempt but man I just cannot stay out of the double play. My pci placement seems to not matter as much this year, bc more times than not balls i square up are going right to ss for the easy dp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Double Plays

What game mode are you playing? And what control scheme?

Maybe it's a timing issue...

I noticed a lot of DP's when I first started playing this year as my timing was a little off. Lots of ground balls is usually a sign that you're just slightly ahead of the pitch.

Once my timing was down I was getting more variety in where the ball was being hit to.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

I tend to hit into a lot of double plays when I am out in front of off-speed pitches. Have you noticed how hard doing a hit and run is this year. I feel like every time I do one I hit a ball right at the shifting infielder.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
What game mode are you playing? And what control scheme?

Maybe it's a timing issue...

I noticed a lot of DP's when I first started playing this year as my timing was a little off. Lots of ground balls is usually a sign that you're just slightly ahead of the pitch.

Once my timing was down I was getting more variety in where the ball was being hit to.
I'm using zone hitting. Most of my hitting is fine, but when I have a guy on first more times than not I'm hitting into a double play. I understand when the ball is down and I'm early on my swing chances are the ball is rolling to 2b or ss, but a lot of the time I'm getting pitches that I can square up with decent to good timing and I'm still rolling them over.

I'm not having this problem any other time unless I have a guy on first. Probably just in a rough patch, but I was just curious if anyone else was noticing this since I've never been this bad with this
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
I'm using zone hitting. Most of my hitting is fine, but when I have a guy on first more times than not I'm hitting into a double play. I understand when the ball is down and I'm early on my swing chances are the ball is rolling to 2b or ss, but a lot of the time I'm getting pitches that I can square up with decent to good timing and I'm still rolling them over.

I'm not having this problem any other time unless I have a guy on first. Probably just in a rough patch, but I was just curious if anyone else was noticing this since I've never been this bad with this
How large of a sample size do you have? I have gone through stretches where it seems like I couldn't catch a break. Baseball will torture you that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Is anyone else hitting into a higher number of double plays than in past iterations of the game? I'm leading the league in franchise in double plays by a good margin. I've never had this problem in past games, and I don't like using swing influence unless it's a sac fly attempt but man I just cannot stay out of the double play. My pci placement seems to not matter as much this year, bc more times than not balls i square up are going right to ss for the easy dp.
I agree. I use swing influence A LOT and the CPU conveniently gets ground balls at an insane clip when I have a runner on first. Sometimes my timing is off but a lot of times its a four seam fastball up in the zone with good timing, solid contact, and swing influence "up". It's starting to make me wonder.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I am in mid June in my franchise and up until late May I was experiencing the same issues but now they are mostly resolved.

I only slightly changed my approach at the plate. I started being more selective (even willing to go down looking on that 2 seamer low), bunted more, and called the hit and run more often. But probably the largest factor was just the random/chance element.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Rookie

Didn't want to start another thread, however is anyone else having trouble TURNING double plays on defense since the patch?

I haven't a clue as to if what I'm experiencing is due to the patch, but something surely seems to have changed for me. On DP balls previously I'd make my throw to second and preload my throw to 1st, never had an issue. Now my throw will preload, however my 2b or SS will start the throwing animation but then doesn't throw the ball? I've not turned a DP in the half dozen or so games since the patch installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »