Home

Why are some pitches missed by the catcher. Pitches that are strikes

This is a discussion on Why are some pitches missed by the catcher. Pitches that are strikes within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
Why are some pitches missed by the catcher. Pitches that are strikes

Why do catches miss pitches that are in the strike zone. What I mean by this is very catchable pitches that bounce of their mask or chest. It's odd and looks horrible. It's been I. Other versions of the show and never been fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Why are some pitches missed by the catcher. Pitches that are strikes

It's called a passed ball, and it's the catcher not catching the ball (as compared to a wild pitch).

I'd agree sometimes the animation (or lack thereof) can be pretty wonky but it's a "wonk" play, ultimately, when you think about it, it matches. Plus I've seen good passed-ball animations too. It's like any other play in that regard.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Pitcher and catcher can get "crossed up" at times where the C calls for a pitch somewhere and the P misses badly somewhere else. From time to time, this results in a passed ball/wild pitch at the scorekeeper's discretion. It actually adds to the realism imo.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15

I've played and watched a ton of baseball, the odds of a catcher getting hit in the face mask by a fastball is extremely rare if it happens at all. I've seen too many animations were a fastball hits the catcher flush in the head or chest. It just takes away the realism immersion IMO.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13

I agree. Catcher calls for a fastball, sets up and spots his glove for it. You nail the spot perfectly and he misses it and it blasts him in the dome. Not likely to happen, especially as much as it does in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've only seen this in the 8th or 9th inning when I am up, happens almost every time. Not once has it happened when I am hitting though

And people say there isn't any comeback logic lol
Old 05-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Far be it from me to ascertain what you guys are seeing in your games, but I've seen this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in 25 ST games, so I'm not sure if it's a big issue for most people or not.

I understand it could be frustrating if this were to happen at the wrong time (runner on 3rd for example) and the recency bias may also be at play, but passed balls happen in a variety of different ways. Some pitchers and pitch types are just hard to catch even when located properly. Heck some pitchers are so tough to catch, they have their own personal backstop. I stand by my statement that it actually is realistic for catchers to flat drop pitches from time to time.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Far be it from me to ascertain what you guys are seeing in your games, but I've seen this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in 25 ST games, so I'm not sure if it's a big issue for most people or not.

I understand it could be frustrating if this were to happen at the wrong time (runner on 3rd for example) and the recency bias may also be at play, but passed balls happen in a variety of different ways. Some pitchers and pitch types are just hard to catch even when located properly. Heck some pitchers are so tough to catch, they have their own personal backstop. I stand by my statement that it actually is realistic for catchers to flat drop pitches from time to time.

It's funny, I didn't really remember it happening a ton before reading this thread, although I hadn't played many games at all (maybe 3-4). Then, right after reading this, I played about 4 games this weekend and in the first 3 this happened an average of 3 times a game (me and CPU) on fastballs that bounced right off the catcher's face. Then it didn't happen at all in the fourth game. I hope this doesn't become a serious problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »