Home

Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

This is a discussion on Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

I think I need clarification on how to tell whether a ball hit to the fences is going to go over (and requires a leaping attempt to rob the homerun) or is going to land in play (in which case, jumping up into the wall is counter-productive).

One of my first games, the cursor changed to red, which I thought meant it was going to be a homerun unless I stopped it. I jumped, and the ball landed in play, short of being a homer. My outfielder looked like a world-class idiot. The ball actually hit him lower in the body while he was reaching up.

So, I dunno. I'm still not clear on how I can tell whether the ball is going to clear the fence or land in play. Seems like I'm just guessing.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Rookie

saturn2187's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

I did a fantasy draft and took Pujols at 1B. He was graceful and excellent at 1B until he fractured his forearm. His backup Jose Abreu plays like he's got his glove on backwards.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 20

I have the ball-marker icon turned off, so, yeah, pretty much my whole outfield lol.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #20
Rookie

saturn2187's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I have the ball-marker icon turned off, so, yeah, pretty much my whole outfield lol.
That's insane! How do you know where to position your fielders?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187
That's insane! How do you know where to position your fielders?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
One part feel, one part following the shadow. It's surprisingly playable you should give it a shot for couple games if you're interested. The shadow is easy to pick up and changes size. It's designed to be playable now where I'm not sure that was the case in prior years (was impossible at night, for instance, it's not anymore).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Junior Lake can't catch a dang flyball to save his life! 8 errors and its only may
Old 05-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Playing as the Padres, I have a variety of "less than" defensive options in LF:

1) Quentin: Slow / Unathletic

2) Smith: Dismal Fielding Rating (around 30 or so)

3) Alonso: First Baseman who gets stuck out there on occasion due to lineup / fatigue

I do a fair amount of double switches in the latter third of the game to try and end up preserving any lead with Maybin / Denorfia / Venable (when possible / available)

I do love that I've also seen some really poor outfield play for the first time in this series and also appreciate the fact that it makes you "make moves" related to defense...
Old 05-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Another feature they removed or ignored, I used to always take ball indicator off and just go with catch region indicator. That gave fielders ratings even more presence in game because sometimes I may not always be exactly near the ball and good fielders would have to finish the play almost by themselves, while poor fielders would have to try harder which I enjoyed seeing unfold. Now the ball indicator is the only option, at least when playing dynamic fielding, but it still makes fielding less of a challenge in the grand scheme. Catch Region indicator will be missed very much, I was really expecting to play that with the dynamic fielding settings. I've tried taking ball indicator off, but it's beyond unrealistic. You will never see the ball but I may go give it another round of tries and see how I like it now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »