Home

AI pickoff attempts

This is a discussion on AI pickoff attempts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Rookie

Shakes's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: AI pickoff attempts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
likewise. Baserunning needs a huge look next year. I shouldn't have to abstain from taking leads just to avoid constant pickoffs.
What I don't understand is the pickoff logic sometimes. It makes no sense. For example. Every now and then I take a 1 or 2 step lead with a man also on 2nd and the pitcher throws to 1st. So how exactly am I going to steal 2nd with a man on 2nd already?!?! This happens even when the bases are loaded too.

Also, sometimes when I am on 2nd and I take NO lead at all, they try a pickoff. I personally almost never take 3rd unless a knuckleball pitcher is on the mound.

Btw, this is all with the pickoff slider at the lowest setting.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailben7
This is killing me in RTTS. I don't lead off whatsoever and I have like 30+ steals between AA and AAA myself, but 5 guys have been picked off while I was batting. I'm the leadoff hitter, so that usually means catchers (until a 2B prospect came up in the last week). 3 of those times, I got the count to 3-0 or 3-1 with a great chance of drawing a walk, then they pick off the guy at first. Next inning--3 straight balls right down the middle and I ground out on weak contact.
Drives me crazy too. Anytime I see one of my teammates taking an extra step, I usually step out of the box to reset the base runner, especially if it is a low skilled base runner.

As for base stealing in RTTS for my controlled player. I never take an extra step and I get really good results. You just have to lean.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #11

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes
What I don't understand is the pickoff logic sometimes. It makes no sense. For example. Every now and then I take a 1 or 2 step lead with a man also on 2nd and the pitcher throws to 1st. So how exactly am I going to steal 2nd with a man on 2nd already?!?! This happens even when the bases are loaded too.

Also, sometimes when I am on 2nd and I take NO lead at all, they try a pickoff. I personally almost never take 3rd unless a knuckleball pitcher is on the mound.

Btw, this is all with the pickoff slider at the lowest setting.

Pickoffs are not done based on your potential to steal a base, they are done with the intent of keeping you close to the base to possibly prevent you from advancing an extra base on a hit.

Holding runners on second is a huge aspect of the game of baseball which is why there is a need to attempt to pick you off. It has nothing to do with if you're going to steal or not.

The ultimate problem of too many attempts IS a problem but the logic is not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Here are the easy fixes for most of you that I have learned:

You do not need to get a lead to steal in this game. Think of it as a quality stealing lead already and taking the extra step is a HUGE lead.

In RTTS to keep from getting picked off, hold the L stick back towards the bag. If the pitcher throws it there, you'll get back. If they don't, flick it and try to steal.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenk16
...And they actually succeed with the pickoff way too often...
I use auto baserunning and my guys will get picked of once every few games. Should be once every 8 games at most. Team league leaders past 3 years average roughly 20 picks per season. Mildly annoying.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Pickoffs are not done based on your potential to steal a base, they are done with the intent of keeping you close to the base to possibly prevent you from advancing an extra base on a hit.

Holding runners on second is a huge aspect of the game of baseball which is why there is a need to attempt to pick you off. It has nothing to do with if you're going to steal or not.

The ultimate problem of too many attempts IS a problem but the logic is not.
This is an excellent post.

Except for the part about the amount of attempts being a problem. For me that's not the issue. I think it's the success rate.

Unless you mean attempts to second only. Then in which case, I tend to agree with you (again), for the most part.

Then again, I have no idea how many attempts happen in real life. My best guess is an ultra-mega ton.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 24

The entire pickoff/baserunner system is seriously flawed. Everything from the fact that the CPU thinks it's appropriate to attempt 12 consecutive pickoffs without throwing a single pitch... to the fact that a runner can be picked off of a base even though he watched the baseman run in front of him back to the bag to receive the pickoff... To the fact that a "default lead" is sufficient to steal a base, when it shouldn't be.

None of it really makes any sense, and the fact that things can be done to "make it work" doesn't change that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Agreed. The entire pickoff/leadoff system needs a complete overhaul.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »