Home

AI pickoff attempts

This is a discussion on AI pickoff attempts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: AI pickoff attempts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailben7
The pickoffs themselves seem to be way too fast. In RTTS, you have to have perfect timing or be holding down to get back on time. In Base Stealing Training, I have been picked off several times simply because the dive back animation has like .5 second delay or something. Even when you're holding down, your player will only dive back when the pitcher releases the ball.

If you try to react to his move instead, your runner seems to delay his dive by how much time you miss your dive command by. It doesn't matter if you try to dive back before he throws it, he will dive way after and be thrown out.

I have 92 Speed and 75 steal, by the way.
This is because the baserunner animation is nearly always the same thing, whether it's their jump on the 1st step, or them sliding back. There is hardly any variety but more important than that is we don't control the baserunners directly at all. All we are doing is triggering an animation, but the baserunner control is not 1:1 in my opinion. Doing the baserunning training mode highlights to me what is causing basestealing/running to be an issue for both RTTS control and regular batting control in those moments where you are required to go back yourself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've tried to abstain from whining too much about this, but it's one of the few systems in the game that are broken. The LOGIC isn't broken, but taking anything more than the standard lead results in multiple pick-off attempts, until the player is simply tired of it. 4 of them... 5 of them... then I quit leading off. Also, the constant throws to 2B just aren't realistic.

Holding the stick down back to the bag is not even a gameplay mechanic. It requires no reaction or input...

This is a small thing - Been enjoying RTTS a lot this year.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

It has been brought up before I believe in long lost threads, but the default lead baserunners take is also quite enormous for a default lead. It's probably the equivalent of an actual base stealers lead. I remember watching live games and analyst would say stuff like, usually a base stealer will start his lead off from the cut line of grass around 1st Base. Going beyond that grass is a pretty grossly big lead by MLB standards. In this game, the default position starts you right at the cut of grass, almost even further than that. Therefore, taking an actual "lead" in this game is only going to make you even more easy to get picked off because you are extremely too far off base.

But gameplay wise the biggest disadvantage in my opinion is the lack of synchronizing the user controls with the actions of the baserunner. As I said before all we're doing is triggering a limited variety of animations when we slide, steal or return to avoid pickoff. If everything we did were controlled like how we control outfielders, you would see a much better system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »