Home

Terrible Drafting logic

This is a discussion on Terrible Drafting logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Terrible Drafting logic

through 2 amateur drafts almost all the top picks by CPU teams were players with potential of 99 but aren't MLB ready for 8+years and are already 20+ years old. For example the Astros first overall pick was a 22 year old who won't be MLB ready until he's 32.

Why are rookies like this even created, who has a 99 potential that they won't reach for a decade? Anyone notice this as well? is there any work around for it other than going in and editing players after they were drafted to boost their current overall to make them MLB ready sooner?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Terrible Drafting logic

30-team control would help this. I'm actually thinking of drafting for all teams in the next draft. They do their own scouting so I'll just browse their scouting list and try to take the best guy for them.

Other than that your solution is probably the best.

I think the problem is the players carrying over from one draft to the next. There's a 2B who was in 2 or 3 of my draft pools but never was draftable in the draft. He was 24 years old after skipping the drafts.

Not only do they skip the drafts but their attributes stay the same.

This needs to be addressed.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
30-team control would help this. I'm actually thinking of drafting for all teams in the next draft. They do their own scouting so I'll just browse their scouting list and try to take the best guy for them.

I think the problem is the players carrying over from one draft to the next. There's a 2B who was in 2 or 3 of my draft pools but never was draftable in the draft. He was 24 years old after skipping the drafts.

Maybe it's just my crop of rookies, but if I use your first solution I'll have maybe 10 real legit first rounders with good potential and a reasonable MLBETA.

I think they could write logic into this that if a player has A potential he is MLB ready in no more than 5 years from his draft year. It just all seems completely random. I have 70 potential guys who are MLB ready next year, because those 5th round picks generally start the next year in the bigs in real life...

This is an amazing game but this is probably the worst draft engine of all sports sims I've played.

oh well back to manually editing last years first rounders, all but 2 have an under 50 current overall
Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Yea.... Then think about the game changer..? Franchise carry overs... See its things like this that will make the ability to carry franchises over to the next year's game about useless, or am I wrong with that thinking??.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

a simple solution to this is to edit those rookies and advanced their eta as I do . as a guy who likes to build my organization through the draft, I am extremely disappointed in this aspect of the game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

weren't we told last year that the braves will mostly draft pitchers in the draft? played/simmed about 10 seasons since '13 and have yet to witness that.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
Yea.... Then think about the game changer..? Franchise carry overs... See its things like this that will make the ability to carry franchises over to the next year's game about useless, or am I wrong with that thinking??.
i'm not trusting that feature until I know it is a sure thing. beyond excited for it but i need to make sure it will work before i commit to it.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradingwolves
through 2 amateur drafts almost all the top picks by CPU teams were players with potential of 99 but aren't MLB ready for 8+years and are already 20+ years old. For example the Astros first overall pick was a 22 year old who won't be MLB ready until he's 32.

Why are rookies like this even created, who has a 99 potential that they won't reach for a decade? Anyone notice this as well? is there any work around for it other than going in and editing players after they were drafted to boost their current overall to make them MLB ready sooner?
Just out of curiosity, what are the players like ahead of him at that position?? Could it be something like the MLB-level player is fairly young (say mid-20's) and is just hitting their stride (say ready to have a solid 6-8 year run)??

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »