Home

Bought MLB: The Show for the first time ever

This is a discussion on Bought MLB: The Show for the first time ever within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Bought MLB: The Show for the first time ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Alright, I have more time now. First, I would recommend against using pure analog batting. It is not horrible or anything, actually kinda fun, but I think it is a tweener. If you decide on playing on an even playing field with the CPU and having ratings matter the most, then timing hitting and classic pitching with Nomo's sliders. If you want to be more involved in the hitting which adds its own sense of realism (concentrating on a part of the strike zone) or meter/pulse pitching, then TNK's is a good start but you will have to play around and be prepared to adjust them to your skill level.

Next, rosters. In the roster vault, you'll find OSFM v3. It is a fine roster if you want to get started right away. It uses the games default ratings for players which is not really scientific but not horrible. It goes on the last 3 years 50-25-25 so like Konerko is rated too high based on the earlier two years. It also has pitch edits that make it more realistic. The rosters OFSM Hybrid is built off of that roster and then uses ZiPS as a predictor of true talent levels. It is better as far as hitting & pitching but I find the fielding and running ratings a bit questionable here and there. I'd recommend one of these. I've been using a 1994 historic roster while I wait for the latest hybrid and also the new SBFM rosters to come out and I'm going to use one of them for years to come since you can transfer franchises from year to year now.

Finally, use 30 team control. It sounds like a behemoth task but it really is not if you don't want it to be. I only use it to reverse really bad trades that the CPU will have a tendency to make.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ustlinowl.html
Nice, thank you for those suggestions, I am going to check it all out for sure. Do you use the quick pitch option (I think it called) where each batter comes up with pitches already happened, I like that feature.

This game is outstanding so far, been wanting to try it out for a long time now.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGtheNailer
Nice, thank you for those suggestions, I am going to check it all out for sure. Do you use the quick pitch option (I think it called) where each batter comes up with pitches already happened, I like that feature.

This game is outstanding so far, been wanting to try it out for a long time now.
I use the quick counts option just a bit. It does help get games in quicker but I only use it if I sort of want to play/sort of don't or I need to get this game done...

It is an amazing option but I can't bear not playing the full game... taking the first pitch... seeing the cut scenes... etc. Just my opinion tho..
Old 08-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

No, I agree. I like playing out the entire AB and it seems that quick counts have an effect on walks and other stats as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

So not using quick counts eh? I like the idea, I thought it might actually improve pitch counts and other stats in a baseball game but now I will re-consider that.

What about Road to the Show, playing just your char in-game and what not, is that something to invest time in or are most of you strictly franchise?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

I prefer franchise but will play RTTS while waiting for roaters or something. I think there is too much loading/waiting but no harm in trying it to see if you like it. The devs say it is the most played game mode.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

I wonder if there tracking the most played, includes time played or just log ins to modes...
Old 08-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
So not using quick counts eh? I like the idea, I thought it might actually improve pitch counts and other stats in a baseball game but now I will re-consider that.

What about Road to the Show, playing just your char in-game and what not, is that something to invest time in or are most of you strictly franchise?
I love franchise, but RTTS is great. It's fun and when I don't really feel like playing my 'chise or a full game, I do RTTS(i also do RTTS when I want to do RTTS lol). Both are great and I would definitely make an RTTS and play it a bit... fun and not time consuming as games are quick!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
So I bought a PS4 the other day ( and a 50 inch LED TV), I have never owned or tried the PS3 so obviously, have never been able to play The Show. Bought MLB: The Show for the first time ever ( had to play MLB 2k series if I wanted a ball game) and of course I loved High Heat on the PC. MLB: The Show is excellent in the short time ive spend with it but it is brand new to me, I have some questions and please offer what you will.

The road to the show, anyone using that? it seems pretty kick-*** to me.

Any set up tips for enjoying this game? Is there a standard set of sliders? What should i be doing or considering as a first time user of The Show ( but I am a baseball game veteran).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Be sure to put that new tv in "game mode". Your ability to time a pitch is critical in this game. Reducing possible input lag is tip#1 for hitting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »