Home

Is batting harder or is it just me?

This is a discussion on Is batting harder or is it just me? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 3
Is batting harder or is it just me?

Hitting was difficult for me at first. In the past, I always enjoyed working into a hitter's count and slamming a fat pitch with a power swing. I learned the hard way that this strategy does not work this year. Hitters are much better off swinging with x. Don't use power swing. It also seems that the AI throws more balls on lower difficulty than in the past. I know it's cliche, but patience is an asset. Take a strike, maybe even two with a weak hitter. Be more aggressive with runners in scoring position. Pitchers will get themselves into trouble this year, a great addition IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by vinny_77; 04-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Is batting harder or is it just me?

You really do have to wait for "your pitch". I keep track of what a guy is throwing me in the course of a game. If he's throwing a lot of changeups, let anything that looks low go by. It is a lot more difficult to tell a changeup from a fastball this year, but rarely in my experience will the CPU throw a changeup that is not in the bottom portion of the strike zone, and usually it will drop out of of the zone.

I'm using timing hitting and I haven't used the new directional hitting interface yet.

Every pitcher is different but if the guy is throwing you a lot of offspeed pitches, don't worry about trying to pull the fastball, just put that out of your head. The longer you wait to swing the better off you'll be, and take fastballs the other way. You'll have less power (as it should be) but it shouldn't effect your average much on those pitches and on offspeed pitches you'll be able to crush, or lay off them more often if needed.

The pitcher isn't up there throwing random stuff at you, if you make a mental note of how he got you out and use the information provided you can zero in on him. As soon as you hit pause it shows you his pitch breakdown and what percentage he's thrown for strikes with each pitch.

Take a boatload of pitches, like someone else said swinging at the first pitch doesn't work out very well this year. Turn CPU strike rate down until you move up to at least All star if you're using DD. The lower modes the pitcher feeds you too many strikes.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #59
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Changeups and curveballs are ridiculously slow in 15. Even with pitch speed raised. It's annoying as hell.
Yes this. I didn't want to say it until someone else did. There seems to be a HUGE difference between a 93MPH fastball and an 86MPH Changeup. I like that they are different speeds but I can't seem to figure out timing for a breaking ball to save my life. Once I do "get it down" Its impossible for me to catch up to fastball.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 24

I changed my camera and immediately started hitting. I think the default camera just lends itself to poor pitch reading.

Edit: I also raised pitch speed by quite a bit. First time I've had to do that in a while.

Last edited by Bobhead; 04-03-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykraven
Yes this. I didn't want to say it until someone else did. There seems to be a HUGE difference between a 93MPH fastball and an 86MPH Changeup. I like that they are different speeds but I can't seem to figure out timing for a breaking ball to save my life. Once I do "get it down" Its impossible for me to catch up to fastball.
I mean we all miss changeups at times and we all hit changeups at times, but never have I had this much trouble with that pitch until now. It is literally mind boggling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #62
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I changed my camera and immediately started hitting. I think the default camera just lends itself to poor pitch reading.

Edit: I also raised pitch speed by quite a bit. First time I've had to do that in a while.
Which camera are you using? I've changed it to classic catcher 3 and raised pitch speed to 7, and I'm still struggling. It's getting to the point that I don't think I will be able hit this year because of how hard it is to read changeups.

Everyone in the game has the appearance of Glavine movement, but I don't want to change it to were the CPU is throwing meat pitches so I can hit. The timing window seems to have decreased this year as well. Kind of just considering going back to 14 and updating rosters.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #63
Rookie

bigdaddykraven's Arena

OVR: 4

I just started playing on E Offset Zoom and find it a little easier to read the breaking balls. I'm not really hitting them yet but I'm making contact with some of them and able to foul them off (I'm still early). At least its a start. I'm not sure if this is me finally getting used to it or the camera but I'll switch back later and see if the improved recognition sticks.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's awesome that hitting is hard! Have you guys ever tried to turn on a 90mph fastball???? Not an easy thing. The best batters hit career .300 most avg guys around .260 That's one hit per game per player and maybe a walk to the good guys on average. Guys don't go 3 for 4 every game or 5 for 5. This isn't slow pitch it's baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »