Home

Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15

This is a discussion on Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Food for Thought - Pitching Strategies '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
you might as well play with classic if you won't look at the meter
I disagree. I look at the speed selection but not the accuracy selection. There is still my user input and its based on more of a feel or "timing" aspect. So there are days were I can get hot and days I'm not as a user.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #10
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo22
I disagree. I look at the speed selection but not the accuracy selection. There is still my user input and its based on more of a feel or "timing" aspect. So there are days were I can get hot and days I'm not as a user.
hmm ill try it and see how that goes
Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo22
The Knucklecurve seems like a new popular pitch. Is it easy to control?
Yea, it's not bad. Nice arc to it, mostly vertical but a little side-to-side too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Not meaning to sidetrack the discussion from strategy but the pitching methods have always been something I thought about a lot and have many opinions on.

While the devs put insane amounts of customization in the control methods, more than any other sports developer, I still wish for a few more things.

I wish we could tweak the way the methods work under the engine for single player. For example with say meter pitching, if we could control how much of a 'boost' our accuracy gets for hitting the sweet spot at the end of the meter. Perhaps I want to be rewarded for hitting that sweet spot, but I have gotten so good at mastering meter pitching that it becomes way too easy because I always hit the spot. I wish in that case I could decrease the boost you get and make it play closer to what the ratings say. That way I could have the results more like classic pitching, but the fun of meter pitching. Also the same thing for a slider to set how much of a negative boost you get for missing the mark.

I just feel using a one size fits all for the pitching controls is a bad idea because everyone has different skill at the various pitching mini games. I feel it should be opened up and let us fine tune it for ourselves. I'd love to be able to use the other non-classic pitching methods full time but as a stat guy and placing stat accuracy above all else I find myself going back to classic out of necessity.

I haven't tried it yet but I love your idea in that thread you posted about looking at the player model when using meter and not looking at the meter. That is actually a brilliant idea, How about adding it as an actual control method SCEA? The accuracy part can be timed to when the pitchers specific animation has his hand the farthest from the plate, and the final button tap the frame when the ball is released. That would be actually brilliant and revolutionary!

Last edited by BrianU; 04-04-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Rookie

CSUFresnoClassof2011's Arena

Re: The Show '15 - Pitching (Settings & Strategies)

Anyone have tips for what attributes to put training points into for a pitcher? If you have info on both starters & closers that'd be great. I started as closer already to kill time before the new rosters come out. I based him off of David Robertson but switch it up a bit. 4 seam is his first pitch, knuckle curve is second & cutter is his third. I switched the cutter & 4 seam. I find myself always trying to boost control & BB/9 the most when I first start. Anyone have a better strategy or can they post a link to a thread that'll have that info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Rookie

RD_Rabin's Arena

There seemed to be extra 'randomness' to the pitching on the stat methods this year (Buttons, etc.) so I have just switched to Pure Analog and am getting to grips with it, using the Pitcher 'central' view (I am not sure that's the right name for it, but it is directly behind the pitcher).

At least now, when I miss, I know it's my fault and not a random number generator working off stats and tendencies.

The curve balls are difficult to face this year, the break seems to be much better disguised. I am getting more strikes throwing my curve, whereas previously it was a pitch I didn't use much.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The Show '15 - Pitching (Settings & Strategies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSUFresnoClassof2011
Anyone have tips for what attributes to put training points into for a pitcher? If you have info on both starters & closers that'd be great. I started as closer already to kill time before the new rosters come out. I based him off of David Robertson but switch it up a bit. 4 seam is his first pitch, knuckle curve is second & cutter is his third. I switched the cutter & 4 seam. I find myself always trying to boost control & BB/9 the most when I first start. Anyone have a better strategy or can they post a link to a thread that'll have that info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using that as an example, NBA 2k brought in that shot meter, and I had to turn it off because it didn't feel natural. I turned that off, back to just looking at the shooting player and suddenly I'm shooting the ball a lot better

I'm using meter pitching and because I have good days and bad days I get a good variation in results.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »