Home

Starting Pitcher stamina in playoffs

This is a discussion on Starting Pitcher stamina in playoffs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 PM   #57
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Starting Pitcher stamina in playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Rather than multi-quote and reply....

- I was quoting a poster who said..."ask Mad-Bum or Shilling"....as if pitchers were going 8 or 9 innings with regularity in the playoffs....

-I've said in other threads.....while it might be a number of managerial and player factors that lead to lower inning thrown by starters in the playoffs....

I will ask you guys....how would you keep the USER from pitching 9 innings with his top three starters and handcuff the CPU with other logic(quicker hooks etc) and keep it fair?
What mechanism are you suggesting to put in place to keep me from pitching Harvey 9 innings in three games with REGULARITY as the manager of the Mets...
when the average of IP per starter in the playoffs is 5.65.
That's a pretty big USER advantage.

M.K.
Knight165
Why do you have to go to the extreme? Were guys able to throw 9 IP for 3 games in a 7 game series last year? I know my starters couldn't. If I tried to bring my starter back for game 4 after game 1, his stamina was around 85-90%, which seemed about right. I really didn't think anything needed to change from last year (or any year prior to that, as far as I remember).

Besides.. if a guy wants to throw his starter 9 IP in every single game, he's always been able to do that with slider adjustments. It's never been an issue until this year for some reason, and the decision seems completely reversed of the desired outcome (as stated by a developer in this thread, to help facilitate a 4 man rotation).

You also weren't quoting a single person in the post that I quoted. By referring to "you guys" that means more than one person and I took it to assume anyone that is against the way this is implemented. Again, if this is misinterpreted, I apologize. But you seem to be blindly defending this by trying to manipulate stats (as others have mentioned) to justify this rather terribly implemented adjustment.

Watch me play video games
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #58
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:

I will ask you guys....how would you keep the USER from pitching 9 innings with his top three starters and handcuff the CPU with other logic(quicker hooks etc) and keep it fair?
What mechanism are you suggesting to put in place to keep me from pitching Harvey 9 innings in three games with REGULARITY as the manager of the Mets...

M.K.
Knight165
I couldn't answer to be honest. But when I Pitch Chris Tillman 7 innings around 100 pitches game one of the ALDS, we sweep and then 6 days later when the ALCS starts he is at less than 85% its a problem.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #59
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I couldn't answer to be honest. But when I Pitch Chris Tillman 7 innings around 100 pitches game one of the ALDS, we sweep and then 6 days later when the ALCS starts he is at less than 85% its a problem.

Yeah that is a problem for sure. A guy is still 15% from full even though he got 6 days off 2 more then a player normal gets in the regular season. While maybe what they should do is say a guy in regular season starts a game and say 4 days latter he is at 95% when he pitches again. While say in playoffs with the same thing he would be 85% in stead of 95%.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #60
All Star

Quote:

- I was quoting a poster who said..."ask Mad-Bum or Shilling"....as if pitchers were going 8 or 9 innings with regularity in the playoffs....

-I've said in other threads.....while it might be a number of managerial and player factors that lead to lower inning thrown by starters in the playoffs....

M.K.
Knight165

While I think a USER is going to have a quicker hook in playoffs to and people can always try to find ways to cheat and ways to play unrealistically but I would rather just lower my stamina slider by like 1 or 2 in playoffs.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #61
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
Good stuff, I like where this is going now.

First off, can you in fact go 9 innings three straight games with Harvey on 3/4 days rest? I honestly don't know.

And I'm talking sim style, not this 85% strikes, 80 pitch complete game nonsense.

In fact, we can only work through this if we assume that the user has the difficulty and sliders set up to create a realistic simulation. If a guy plays 6 games/month and sims the rest, and his personal winning percentage is .950, and the team goes .500 then he's going to be undefeated in the playoffs and none of this matters.

If it's set up in a balanced way, then the playoff games will be tight, and when the user gives up a hit/walk to the leadoff hitter in the 6th inning with 2,3,4 coming up, with an elevated pitch count due to pitching around some of the best hitters in baseball, my bullpen will be scrambling without a second thought.

So I would say there's nothing to be done here on the user side. For the most part the user creates the reality he wants.

For CPU adjustments, clearly they should be more inclined to play small ball, and they should have less patience in terms of leaving pitchers out there. They should also shorten the rotation, including in season where they never skip the 5th starter no matter how many days off since #1 pitched.

For those interested in pitch counts, the MLB average is always around 145/g with a game to game variance of about 100 bottom end to 200 top.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #62
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Not a bug this was changed to help facilitate 4 man rotations
But that is the opposite of what it is doing . . . I guess I am not understanding something here.

Last edited by NimitsTexan; 05-20-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #63
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Its not as bad (if you raise the stamina sliders) as it seemd to me at first. But i think it should just stay like it is during the regular season. With the stamina slider all the way up. Jason Vargas went 6 innings and under 90 pitches. Was about 90% energy for his next start.
But wouldn't raising the stamina skew the pitchers true in-game ability? Especially later in the game? Meaning a pitcher would be much more effective at 100 pitches with stamina at 10 vs. default 5?
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #64
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoons22
But wouldn't raising the stamina skew the pitchers true in-game ability? Especially later in the game? Meaning a pitcher would be much more effective at 100 pitches with stamina at 10 vs. default 5?

While 10 may be to high but at 5 stamina is to low any way. The starter stamina should be at 6 or 7 any way as even a pitcher with 99 stamina cant really go past 100 pitches even if he is pitching great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »