Home

Where is my First Baseman? What is he doing?

This is a discussion on Where is my First Baseman? What is he doing? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #17
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Where is my First Baseman? What is he doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvazquez190
No that is not a bug. That is what the first baseman is suppose to do. What they are describing is that when the ball is hit in the infield the First Baseman isn't covering the bag. That is a glitch. You trying to cheat on a liner to right and throw to first is not something the game is designed for because it's not something that happens in real life.
it occasionally does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3uROKD5lS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua5xLUirLIU
Old 05-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Please see my Player Lock thread. Seems almost no doubt these are related on some level of the software

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...k-problem.html
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
yea bautista has done it a couple times.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck
I have had this happen like others on flies to shallow right. Never had anything like this happen. Though the angle makes it hard to tell but it looks like he was in some weird shift. He should not be that far over when the ball was pitched. It might just be the video angle but the whole infield looks shifted. Wat defense was that?

I assume that was not player lock on firstbaseman. So, regardless of the shift he should have been trying to get to the bag. He is just standing there like the inning had eneded lol.... Send that lad to single A ball haha kidding.

The Other thing I have had is hard grounder to first. Throw to second, and the shorstop tries to return throw to 1B and my fielder says nope pitcher, catcher or anyone but me has to cover, I have done my work haha... When obviously in real life if he can he would cover his bag.

Good news is catchers have the fielding speed of Cheetahs and could cover all bases haha... I tagged Hamilton out with my catcher running him down on the first baseline. Came out of the crouch, gathered the ball and ran down one of the fastest men in baseball with 38 year old Ross. Turns out ole boy has some wheels!
No player lock or special shift on that play. I have had it happen about five times so far, I do think it is related to the type of play especially when you make good stab at the ball. It happens equally with the third baseman and shortstop.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #21
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I've had it happen a few times with 2nd baseman making diving stabs in the hole.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 PM   #22
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
No player lock or special shift on that play. I have had it happen about five times so far, I do think it is related to the type of play especially when you make good stab at the ball. It happens equally with the third baseman and shortstop.
Thanks, I was not doubting you. Just had to kinda ask, as it is so whacky he is that far off the bag. Looks like when Ortiz plays the field kidding, I am a huge BoSox fan just poking some fun..
Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #23
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to lump this together with the OP, but I feel there are seemingly related issues with CPU fielders (meaning, whichever fielder controlled by AI... which means auto-fielding and also fielders not directly controlled by the gamer in manual fielding) sometimes not aware of what's going on, as if he loses focus on what he is actually supposed to do.

(All my examples are from CPU vs. CPU games.)

For example, this is a case where on a pop fly the 2nd baseman is not aware of runner tagging from 3B:

He doesn't make a throw at all.

This one, the pitcher can still clearly go for an out at 1B, but he doesn't make a throw:

This might be intentional with the new "don't rush to make play when urgency is unnecessary", but the SS does not charge the ball when he should still be backing up the pitcher:

This is not the most appropriate example, but I've seen the pitcher and catcher yielding to each other on bunt fielding:

The hesitation can cost an out as the batter runner often beats the throw as the development of the play is slow.

This one just lacks urgency when it's called for:

The pitcher is slow to cover the 1B on bunt:

The pitcher is slow to cover the home plate on wild pitch:

Just a few examples where I feel CPU fielders don't seem to position themselves appropriately.

(Just continuing my video trolling as hopefully Woodweaver notices...)

Last edited by nomo17k; 05-06-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #24
Banned

Since most of those are involving the pitcher, except for the popout to 2nd base which is just inexplicable, I wouldn't say any of them except the one where he doesn't even attempt to make the throw to first are automatic outs even if he fields his position well. In my opinion the pitcher should be a liability as a fielder in most cases, unless he's got the ratings that say otherwise.

There's no excuse for a lot of these things going on though with the other fielders.

A quick question on those plays on a popup where no throw is attempted when a runner is tagging up, was there overruled challenge at first base in the game where those happen. Since I've never actually seen it happen I thought maybe the AI convinced itself there was more outs than what there were and that led to them not making a throw.

Last edited by therewillbechud; 05-06-2015 at 05:16 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »