Home

I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball

This is a discussion on I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #81
I <3 My Jordycakes

Padgoi's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Didn't George Costanza say that too?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Happens a bit too often (maybe double the rate I'd prefer to see) but I think in most cases it's simply a matter where it's never going to look or feel pretty. Fielders are going to miss balls. Whether it looks "wonky" or not is inconsequential. The result of the play is the result of the play.

I'd also suggest it's tied to the fielder's history: if an OF has 7 errors through 12 games, bet your butt his next fly ball is a 60/40 proposition too. Conversely, a guy who's been stellar in the OF will likely continue to be so, relatively speaking.
Got one to add to this now:

Old 05-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #83
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

Friggin' SCEA....

M.K.
Knight165
Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #84
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

It definitely moved!

Seriously, I saw this and came to this thread to see if it was posted.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
It definitely moved!

Seriously, I saw this and came to this thread to see if it was posted.

This play is actually a really good example of everything that the devs have to account for when dealing with the percentage of misplays. If there was an animation that involved a player's cleat getting stuck in the grass, causing him to miss the ball entirely, and it happened in a situation like this with the game on the line, there would be riots.

In this game, the best that can happen to represent this is for the fielder to just whiff a ball that he's standing under. Polanco's fielding rating in the game is 72, for what it's worth.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-15-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #86
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Happens a bit too often (maybe double the rate I'd prefer to see) but I think in most cases it's simply a matter where it's never going to look or feel pretty. Fielders are going to miss balls. Whether it looks "wonky" or not is inconsequential. The result of the play is the result of the play.
I completely disagree. If the result of the play were the only thing any of us cared about, we'd all be playing text simulations of baseball instead... or that Inside (or is it Outside? whatever) The Park thing everyone always mentions. We aren't playing The Show to get authentic baseball box scores, we are playing The Show to get an authentic baseball experience. The full thing. All of it. When a fielder makes a wonky motion BEFORE the error occurs, and then sits there clueless afterwards instead of making an immediate adjustment/correction, it is NOT an accurate or enjoyable experience.

I'm not saying this is a life changing issue, nor am I suggesting that every single nuance of real baseball needs to be thoroughly represented with 100% accuracy (I get that it's a video game).

I'm only saying that:

a) They can do better
b) It's not "inconsequential"
Old 05-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #87
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
This play is actually a really good example of everything that the devs have to account for when dealing with the percentage of misplays. If there was an animation that involved a player's cleat getting stuck in the grass, causing him to miss the ball entirely, and it happened in a situation like this with the game on the line, there would be riots.

In this game, the best that can happen to represent this is for the fielder to just whiff a ball that he's standing under. Polanco's fielding rating in the game is 72, for what it's worth.
Not to mention the line score for that game and how it screamed comeback code... the Pirates scored 5 runs in the 8th and 9th to send it to extra innings. After they were down 7-1 after five.

LOL, I did have the thought of "what if that animation was in the game?" too. Looked painful!

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 05-16-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #88
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Not to mention the line score for that game and how it screamed comeback code... the Pirates scored 5 runs in the 8th and 9th to send it to extra innings. After they were down 7-1 after five.

LOL, I did have the thought of "what if that animation was in the game?" too. Looked painful!

I had to initially choke back a LOUD burst of laughter when I saw it live because, yes - I thought he was hurt too. Like a broken ankle or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »