Home

I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball

This is a discussion on I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

That's called player ratings and an algorhtymic dice roll folks.

Errors happen on routine easy pop fly's and fly balls, and routine grounders, routine throws.

That's the simulation aspect and the beauty of this game.

Do MLB players catch every single ball IRL?

Ahhhhh no.

Last night....playing a league online franchise game. A simple routine fly ball was hit and Brett Garnder was under it.....and it popped right out of his glove.

I smiled.

That's baseball.

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
That's a routine fly ball? Okay.

I get what you're saying, but the ball shadow itself (not the marker) followed a pretty normal flight path to where it landed - it didn't just suddenly jerk to the left. I'm going to hazard a guess that this was wind-aided as well, because it just kept on carrying and eventually reached a point where it was going to hit off the wall. The marker was trying to reflect that but I think it got lost when the ball carried far enough to reach the wall.

JMO. I probably would have played it the same way you did, with the same result. it's easy to get locked into where the marker is telling you to be, and not actually watch the ball as it comes down.
YES, it was routine. At least it should have been. As in if he was standing where the ball landed he should have caught it. I don't look at where the shadow is, I look where the ball marker is, WHICH IS WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO LAND. I'm sorry but the "wind" shouldn't make the ball marker suddenly move 10 feet over at the last second. It didn't bounce off the wall it bounced IN FRONT of the wall. The last position the ball marker was before it moved suddenly was ON the wall BEHIND my outfielder.

This same thing has happened on even more routine fly balls after hardly moving the outfielder, the ball just doesn't land where the marker says it is going to. Or the fielder makes absolutely no attempt to catch the ball. For example one time a ball coming down went THROUGH my outfielder's chest. With no attempt to catch it.

If you were standing exactly where the ball marker was, and the ball ended up landing 10 feet next to you, what would YOU blame it on???
Old 05-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
That's called player ratings and an algorhtymic dice roll folks.

Errors happen on routine easy pop fly's and fly balls, and routine grounders, routine throws.

That's the simulation aspect and the beauty of this game.

Do MLB players catch every single ball IRL?

Ahhhhh no.
Too bad it wasn't scored as an error, and my outfielder error slider is all the way down. This is a problem with where the ball is landing, not the outfielder dropping a catch which would be an error.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergiants
Too bad it wasn't scored as an error, and my outfielder error slider is all the way down. This is a problem with where the ball is landing, not the outfielder dropping a catch which would be an error.
Windy day? Day game with clear skies and sun blaring into the outfield? I do now those things also factor into a ball drifitng away or being lost in the sun (which is in this year and pretty freaking awesome).

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #13
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Windy day? Day game with clear skies and sun blaring into the outfield? I do now those things also factor into a ball drifitng away or being lost in the sun (which is in this year and pretty freaking awesome).
Come on. Wind and sun doesn't make a ball marker lie about where the ball is going to land. An angel in the outfield, maybe.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergiants
Come on. Wind and sun doesn't make a ball marker lie about where the ball is going to land. An angel in the outfield, maybe.
Landing marker size and movement absolutely is affected by player ratings (can't verify the sun part like A&S is saying though it wouldn't surprise me). It's been like that for a few years.

Only other comment I'm going to make in this thread - the game didn't decide that you weren't going to catch the ball - it didn't force your fielder to move right onto the landing marker when the ball wasn't on a direct path to it.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-06-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
I <3 My Jordycakes

Padgoi's Arena

How can anyone possibly rationalize this? In the video the ball landing marker literally moves at the last second preventing him from catching the ball. Wind? Errors happen? That's baseball??? Guys, he has no chance at catching the ball if the landing marker is going to arbitrarily move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I lied...I just can't leave this stuff alone.

I have a video uploading that's going to prove very enlightening for some, but in the meantime I want to ask the OP - who's your CF?

My upload is slow - even with this being around a 10 minute video it'll probably be an hour or more before its done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
How can anyone possibly rationalize this? In the video the ball landing marker literally moves at the last second preventing him from catching the ball. Wind? Errors happen? That's baseball??? Guys, he has no chance at catching the ball if the landing marker is going to arbitrarily move.
Easily. Just watch me.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-06-2015 at 05:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »