Home

I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball

This is a discussion on I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Answering that last statement would take this thread in a bad direction (one that gets it locked), so I'm going to pass on that one.

It's like you said, unless the devs confirm it we can't be 100% sure it works exactly like this in the normal game - I'm not going to just state something like fact that I don't have the means to confirm. I've shown the scenario that anyone can recreate and try for themselves and then apply that knowledge to the main game. People can draw their own conclusions from here on.

Although there's really no AI to speak of here - I'm the one controlling the fielder, after all.

But I can say from personal experiences in normal games that wall balls can be the toughest hits to play in this game with a bad fielder (lord knows the Cubs have had plenty of them) because of the marker doing what it does. Not to mention the risk of misplaying a ball like that - if you don't make that catch in Petco it's a triple at minimum, and possible ITP HR.

I'm not immune to it, either - I mentioned upthread that I get too latched onto reading the marker too. But it's the price you pay for the fielder you have out there - I think the Trout examples showed that pretty well.

It plays the same in either mode regardless of score, inning, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: I am getting REALLY tired of the game deciding you aren't going to catch a fly ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
It plays the same in either mode regardless of score, inning, etc.
Well, that's that then.

I've managed to see some of the bunting overkill in certain challenge situations too, so I had a feeling there wasn't any difference at all. Thanks for the confirmation WW.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #27
Banned

jergiants's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm not going to keep trying to defend myself when I have proof of the problem in my video. At least a few of you are smart enough to see it. My center fielder was Charlie Blackmon, with his fielding skill in the mid 70's. This has also happened with Alex Gordon, who's fielding is in the upper 80's. The issue isn't the outfielders stats, or my ability to catch fly balls. Maybe watch the video a little more carefully and you'll understand. THE MARKER DOESN'T GO WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO LAND, THIS HAS HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES. AND IN THIS EXAMPLE IT MOVED AT THE VERY LAST SECOND TO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LOCATION.

DO. YOU. UNDERSTAND???
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #28
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergiants
I'm not going to keep trying to defend myself when I have proof of the problem in my video. At least a few of you are smart enough to see it. My center fielder was Charlie Blackmon, with his fielding skill in the mid 70's. This has also happened with Alex Gordon, who's fielding is in the upper 80's. The issue isn't the outfielders stats, or my ability to catch fly balls. Maybe watch the video a little more carefully and you'll understand. THE MARKER DOESN'T GO WHERE THE BALL IS GOING TO LAND, THIS HAS HAPPENED MULTIPLE TIMES. AND IN THIS EXAMPLE IT MOVED AT THE VERY LAST SECOND TO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT LOCATION.

DO. YOU. UNDERSTAND???
I have seen the issue with the ball marker being stupid at the wall. But that is the only time. And you are going about this the wrong way. Might be banned if you keep acting like you are.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 PM   #29
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
I have seen the issue with the ball marker being stupid at the wall. But that is the only time. And you are going about this the wrong way. Might be banned if you keep acting like you are.
Yeah, if they want to ban me for being frustrated at a problem in the game while other users are basically insulting me saying I just suck at the game, while I posted proof of the problem in a video, then go ahead.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #30
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergiants
Yeah, if they want to ban me for being frustrated at a problem in the game while other users are basically insulting me saying I just suck at the game, while I posted proof of the problem in a video, then go ahead.
No one said you suck at the game. They gave you reasons for why it might have happened and you got defensive.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
No one said you suck at the game. They gave you reasons for why it might have happened and you got defensive.
Yeah, I would say that many of the mechanics in this game could be explained better, maybe in a tutorial video inside the game. I think it's covered in the in-game strategy guide but reading text only goes so far (plus not many people will do it anyway).

I know they broke this down in pre-release videos the year they introduced this kind of landing marker, but that was years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #32
Pro

MLB14's Arena

Although I don't consider that a routine fly ball, the marker seemed to bug out due to the landing spot being toward the top of the wall.

I'm not sure what to make of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »