Home

Quick counts issues

This is a discussion on Quick counts issues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19
Quick counts issues

So I posted many times about hitting issues and the community has given awesome advice. I just realize I think the reason I'm struggling this year is I'm using quick counts. Now since quick counts put u in scenarios already what are some tips on being a better hitter with quick counts on. Btw I'm using directional hitting with dynamic difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/@B1g___Boned
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Quick counts issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
So I posted many times about hitting issues and the community has given awesome advice. I just realize I think the reason I'm struggling this year is I'm using quick counts. Now since quick counts put u in scenarios already what are some tips on being a better hitter with quick counts on. Btw I'm using directional hitting with dynamic difficulty.
I agree, quick counts make hitting much more difficult. But with two little kids its necessary for me so i can get whole games in. It just forces you to be a lot more patient at the plate. I used to be a free swinger, I would literally go 10-15 games without a walk (unless my guy got plunked by a pitch). But yesterday I was able to have the Yankees starter throw 33 pitches in the first inning, and score 4 runs. I think its just a patience thing, something I have very little of when playing this game .
Go Vikes
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

It would be hard for me to play with QC on as so much of my strategy comes from seeing a lot of pitches and keying in on stuff, just not really possible if you're only getting 2-3 pitches per AB or less.

I'd say the main thing for QC would be being familiar with the pitcher you're facing. Extra important as you don't have that feel of a full time through the order to get adjusted to what he throws. Second thing probably a very good understanding of the strike zone and situational hitting and what you're likely to see in any given count.

Without those things isn't it a bit of a crap shoot?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Pro

MLB14's Arena

OVR: 0

It's a double edged sword.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

I've been playing with Quick Counts this year. My batting is fine with them, but it sure has made pitching more difficult for me. It's an added challenge for me this year because QC is making me walk 3 or 4 batters a game at least. Lot more offense for the cpu because of it. Frustrating sometimes, but it also adds fun factor.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
1) When you're ahead in the count (2-1 / 3-1) sit on fastballs (or whatever the pitcher's 1st or 2nd pitch are)...

2) When you're behind (1-2) expect low / high / away junk...

3) Starters tend to still try and make you hit "their" pitch on 1-1, but relievers usually throw strikes...not always though...if you see that a particular pitcher has been aggressive or NOT aggressive on 1-1, he's likely to remain that way...

4) On 3-2, your hitters plate discipline ratings are likely to determine what you get...guys who walk a lot get walked on 3-2 and guys who don't...don't!

I play with QC and Zone, because with Zone you can protect the lower / outside part of the plate by moving the hitters PCI with the left stick...

With Zone you can't anticipate speed, but being able to guess location is the key to solid contact, IMHO...

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

The issue with quick counts is the hitter can't see pitches in the atbat and work the count and get a good visual of what the pitcher has and a good guage of the different speeds. You physically see far fewer pitches with quick counts, so its hard to get into a good rhythm.

Unless you are already very familiar with the opposing pitcher, quick counts are gonna be tough to mentally lock in on as a hitter.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
X marks the spot

zephyr13's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't feel I hit any better or worse using quick counts... I like having the option to use them. I use QC only when I want to get a game in an I'm pressed for time and I don't want to have to use in-game save and come back later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »