Home

Scouting Doesn't Matter?

This is a discussion on Scouting Doesn't Matter? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #65
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Doesn't Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan31
I wanted to post this here because I wanted some clarification. I have created all first round draft picks for every team that picked in the 1st round, competitive balance round and compensatory round. Therefore the draft is somewhat of a no need for my franchise. My question however was what should I do about scouting when the season begins? I use 30 team control and have two profiles; one for my personal use with the Red Sox and one for the 29 other teams in franchise. I am curious as to what to do when it comes to scouting cause I have seen some posts about 25 year old guys being in the draft and I don't want that to happen, looking for some help and clarification here.
To put it simply, scouting is broken. If you set scouting to manual and don't choose any objectives for your scouts, come draft day, every player with a completely empty bar will show their exact true and potential ratings.

So you basically know exactly what you're getting like you do with the blue-chip prospects; they're essentially fully scouted when they haven't been scouted at all. Scouting is legitimately pointless, unless you don't want to know this info, so you may as well just hire the cheapest scouts to save money.

As for the age thing, I don't think there's a way to prevent 25 year old players from being in the draft, but the easiest way around this is write down the teams who draft players older than 22, then when the players appear on the rosters in the offseason, go through and edit each player's age to your preference.

I guess we can be at least be thankful they gave us the ability to work around these things like full editing of players in franchise, but these things still suck to see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #66
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I wanted to post this here because I wanted some clarification. I have created all first round draft picks for every team that picked in the 1st round, competitive balance round and compensatory round. Therefore the draft is somewhat of a no need for my franchise. My question however was what should I do about scouting when the season begins? I use 30 team control and have two profiles; one for my personal use with the Red Sox and one for the 29 other teams in franchise. I am curious as to what to do when it comes to scouting cause I have seen some posts about 25 year old guys being in the draft and I don't want that to happen, looking for some help and clarification here.
I don't do 30 team but basically you have 2 choices the minimal discover route which you scout up to roughly 12 days and you will get some variety on prospect development but a downside of overloading the draft classes
creating more 24 and 25 year olds coming out. or.....

Put all teams scouting on "do nothing" and have the exact potentials of all players available
Old 07-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #67
MVP

redsoxfan31's Arena

thanks for the explanation guys! Just one more question in general about the draft; if players go undrafted in 2015, do they become free agents in the following offseason or do they roll back into the 2016 class?
NBA: BOSTON CELTICS
NFL: NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
NHL: BOSTON BRUINS

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Old 07-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #68
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblah1980
I don't do 30 team but basically you have 2 choices the minimal discover route which you scout up to roughly 12 days and you will get some variety on prospect development but a downside of overloading the draft classes
creating more 24 and 25 year olds coming out. or.....

Put all teams scouting on "do nothing" and have the exact potentials of all players available
What exactly do you mean by this? Prospects you discover are already in the draft pool. They still appear on draft day even if your scouts didn't discover them and the total amount of players in the draft pool doesn't change, unless some prospects stay in college. You're not overloading the draft, because you're discovering players already on the prospect list generated by the CPU at the beginning of the season. It doesn't change the total amount of players in the draft itself, just the number of players that are visible to you while you are scouting.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #69
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
thanks for the explanation guys! Just one more question in general about the draft; if players go undrafted in 2015, do they become free agents in the following offseason or do they roll back into the 2016 class?
Undrafted appear in free agency, I think... but I could be wrong. They might re-appear in the following draft, or they may choose to stay in free agency. I've never payed much attention to it to know for sure, but if they do re-enter the draft, that could explain the amount of 25 year olds well past their initial 4 year education.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #70
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

This may be a glitch but I would rather not scout at all than use the current scouting system. If I actually scout, it is not possible to scout all the discovered players, or discover enough players to get an even close read on their actual rating. I would rather draft players with no mystery than use a first round pick on a guy who ends up a 60 OVR with 70 POT. SCEA needs a complete overhaul of their scouting system and franchise mode in general, its been the same for 5 years.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz87
This may be a glitch but I would rather not scout at all than use the current scouting system. If I actually scout, it is not possible to scout all the discovered players, or discover enough players to get an even close read on their actual rating. I would rather draft players with no mystery than use a first round pick on a guy who ends up a 60 OVR with 70 POT. SCEA needs a complete overhaul of their scouting system and franchise mode in general, its been the same for 5 years.

Player discovery doesn't make sense to me for the regular draft. Now if there was an international draft/market, then, yeah, it could simulate investing in talent searching, development camps, etc.

But for college kids coming into the draft...I don't get it. What is it trying to emulate with me having to "find" the kids and then scout them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #72
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Player discovery doesn't make sense to me for the regular draft. Now if there was an international draft/market, then, yeah, it could simulate investing in talent searching, development camps, etc.

But for college kids coming into the draft...I don't get it. What is it trying to emulate with me having to "find" the kids and then scout them?
I've never been able to figure out a proper scouting strategy, and judging from the realization that scouting serves zero purpose at all, I'm starting to think their never was a good strategy and that scouting has always just kinda been there for cosmetic purposes. Either that, or it's been so long since they've changed anything with it, it's starting to break. Not enough info on prospects either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »